Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed riding over wet stuff this weekend the stock Nokian wasn't as grippy as I wanted it to be. I was at 30lbs and afraid to go lower b/c where we ride is very rocky and I've already had a pinch flat. SO - I'm looking for a new front tire for now that can be run at lo-lower pressure and is good for the wet contitions we tend to experience in Norther Vermont. Also want to go a bit bigger/wider than the 2.3s. Also hoping to stay below 900gs on weight. So far I have on my list- Panaracer fire FR- Minion - and IRC trail bear. Please advise and thanks.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
overkillphil said:
Go for the Gazzalodi.
Which one?

GAZZALODDI CORE 2.3"
GAZZALODDI CORE 2.1"
GAZZALODDI DUAL 2.3"
GAZZALODDI DUAL 2.1"
GAZZALODDI G 2.6"
GAZZALODDI G 2.3"
GAZZALODDI 3.0"
GAZZALODDI JR 2.6"
GAZZALODDI 2.3"
GAZZALODDI MUD 2.1"

·
I liked the old *****
218 Posts
bushdr said:
I noticed riding over wet stuff this weekend the stock Nokian wasn't as grippy as I wanted it to be. I was at 30lbs and afraid to go lower b/c where we ride is very rocky and I've already had a pinch flat. SO - I'm looking for a new front tire for now that can be run at lo-lower pressure and is good for the wet contitions we tend to experience in Norther Vermont. Also want to go a bit bigger/wider than the 2.3s. Also hoping to stay below 900gs on weight. So far I have on my list- Panaracer fire FR- Minion - and IRC trail bear. Please advise and thanks.
2.5" Mich Hot S is in that weight range, and what I use on front. I ride mostly rocky areas too, and pressure is currently 17, but usually run 20-22ish. The Hot S will not hold up in rear (sidewalls blow out), so I run a Mich 24.1 with mid 20lbs in it.
--> I'll stick with the Hot S on front: good performance, and to get back some of the weight savings. It's not as good as 24.1 in wet, but fine outside wet moss and ice.

Note: I went to Slimed DH tubes on both ends. Prior to this I flatted regularly, so the weight is worth it to me - no flats in a year.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Are you still running a triple chainset?

Hi, I bought 2 Intense Intruder 2.5 tyres for my 2004 Coiler, the front one fitted no problem, but the rear tyre caught the chain when I was in the granny ring, not sure if they've sorted this for 2005 though. They are'nt the lightest tyres around, but man, do they grip!!

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
bushdr said:
As for a legit large tire that is also lightweight, try the WTB Timberwolf in a 2.7 Race Carcass.....They are only 920g (the 2.5 is 854g), yet sturdy, and have a very aggresive tread pattern. I've run the IRC Trailbear, and I like those as well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.