Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I'm into getting either a Coiler/Coilair or a Dawg. I'm doing technical trailriding, lots of up and down, roots, rocks and singletrack. My consern is that the Coiler will be to slow on the up-bit. I've been riding a SC Heckler for over a year, 33lbs setup. How is the Coiler/Coilair's while climbing?

Hope some of you will take the time to answer, thanks in advance.

·
Registered
454 Posts
From what your describing I would pick...

From the description of what you plan on doing with it I would say the Dawg would be the better choice. I would go for the Primo as it has the best overall component group for the dollar. The Supreme is nice but IMO not worth the extra $900 scoots. :eek:

Now the Coiler is well loved here and there are a bunch of guys trail riding them. A lot depends on how rough you want to get with it and how much air you going to launch it into. The Dawg is very capable of taking a good pounding the Coiler will take more.
Check out this post http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=205003. And there are many other very satisfied Dawg owners here.

The price you'll pay is in a bit more weight and a more sluggish turning bike with the Coiler. The CoilAir helps on the weight issue. Kona lists the Coilair at 34.3, the Coiler at 36.1 and the Coiler Delux at 38.5. The Dawg Primo lists at 30.1 and I can say that is accurate as mine scales at a hair over 30 with Eggbeaters.
Definately some plusses and minuses either way you go and this question between these two models is not a new one for this forum. You could also do a search on "coiler" and see what comes up then define the search closer from there. There should be lot's of past posts dealing with the subject of climbing capability.
One nagging question is what is the Heckler not doing that is driving your interest in these Kona models?

·
Registered
213 Posts
My mate rides a Coiler.

He says its never gonna get to the top first as its just too heavy but what it does have is lots of grip and can make it up stuff that defeats lighter bikes.

I'd say if your in a rush to get to the top of the climb then the Dawg is more your bike.

Later

Fluff

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
I have a '05 Coiler DL. With my preferred part spec it comes in at over 40 pounds.

I have no issues with its climbing ability. The DHX 4.0 shock with ProPedal works very well. I tend to ride it the same way as my singlespeed - attacking the techy climbs out of the saddle. I do not need or want a fork lockout.

Is it as fast as my XC bikes or singlespeeds? No, but I do not care. Still keep up with my buddies just as well.

·
BGR / MCM #311
838 Posts
Shig and I are of like mind. I love my coiler primo..she's a bit lighter than shig's but climbs fine. You just have to realize that you won't be spanking your friends to the top of the climb, but you'll smoke 'em like a fatty to the bottom!!!! (example: I climbed Laurel Mt. in Pisgah on the Coiler...yeah...it was a workout...but the DH on Pilot was KILLER!!!) The front end actually lifts LESS on climbs than my Cove Stiffee cuz of longer chainstays, but the 6 lbs. weight difference between the two bikes does cause me to get into the granny in certain spots where the 32 tooth ring would be used on the hardtail. I decided Coiler over Dawg simply because I like coiled suspensions LOTS better than air. Being a bigger feller (220 lbs with gear and camelback), air is just too harsh, no matter what the newest technology claims. The only change I've considered is going to a Z1 or PIKE model 6" fork to lower the overall height of the front end vs. the 66RC presently on the bike...but that 66 feels ssoooooo good!!! Anyway...good luck with your pick, which ever you go with, you'll love it, I'm sure.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've got some limited experience with this now tha might be helpful. I just got a '06 Coilair and have about 12 hours on it. For comparison, I swapped out the stock wheels and tires for Chris King/Bontragers with Nevegal 2.35's, the platforms for Time Atacs and the stem for a Thompson X4. I estimate that dropped 2-3 lbs off the stock weight. It is a 20" and is about 33-34 lbs right now. I came off a SC Superlight.

In the 12 hours riding so far I have put the bike through the paces in Northern AZ. I can climb stuff I couldn't climb before although sometimes in the granny and slowly. I don't notice the extra weight except in actual times to the top which is all relative and doesn't matter if you aren't racing. It handles switchbacks well up and down. I descend stuff I couldn't (or wouldn't) before. It rails when pointed downhill.

This is the bike I wanted but didn't know it until the guys at the shop suggested it.

Let me know if you have any specific questions.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the aswer guys. Excellent stuff.
I think I'm leaning twoards the Dawg atm, but not sure. As I'm a downhiller, there's a little devil on my shoulder that shouts Coiler, haha. Gonna try to demo the Coiler before I deside. Have tried the Dawg and liked it. Found the suspention a bit harsh though, prefer coil susp. over air. If I end up with the Dawg, I might swap the rp23 for a coil, or maybe get a push upgrade for it.

Cheers

·
Happy Coiler Owner
160 Posts
i have the 04 and 06 coilers and could npt be happier, they climb ok, te dawg may climb better, but for light to med free riding and rought trailriding the coilers are awsome, the 04 with 5 inches is closer to the dawg but with coils(obviously), and i think climbs pedals better (coz it mine), if u are a down hiller a i would recomend the coiler, (u gotta love some stinky influence in a rought trailbike)

·
Registered
422 Posts
My '05 Coiler climbs better now that I dropped the front end by over two inches. The 2005 Marzocchi 66 was super tall but the 06 version has dropped the A to C by 30mm so that alone should make it climb better.

·
Registered
71 Posts
i Now have a coiler 2006. I looked all around also..Kona right now has 20% off and you can get some great deals.. The coilAir is a better bike but the same fraim and costs over a grand more--I am not sure how much you ride but I know a $1000 is a lot more money. So far I have nothing to even think about complaining about my coiler. SHE is GREAT

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I got do demo a 06 coiler DL today and I was totally blown away. The bike rode really nice, felt quite nimble and easy to throw arond, and it got the burlyness I like about a bike. The rear suspention was awsome with the DHX 4.0. Gotta love the plushness and the ride of coil suspention. Will deffinatley go with the Coiler. Thanks for helping folks. Have a good one. Cheers

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.