Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
J'aime le Dunkeld
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this thread is repetition for some of you - I know there have been similair questions before but im damned if I can find them...
So, does anyone have any experience with putting the 7" travel plates on a coiler (and, yes, invalidating frame warranties, > 3:1 ratio etc.)? I've already got a bigger fork on mine, but I could really use more back travel to stop it bottomming loads with my preferred soft set-up. Also I'm a student and I'm skint, thus can't afford a longer travel frame. Any info appreciated. Cheers.

·
solid gold plated
878 Posts
an alternative could be to try getting a shock with a longer rear stroke, perhaps give ebay a look, try for a Fox shock, like a DHX or Vanilla with a 200mm eye to eye distance and 57mm stroke

·
I railed it like Kong
637 Posts
You can't use a longer shock i2i. You can find a longer stroke shock but run the risk of your tire rubbing the seat tube. A .25 longer stroke will give you another inch almost.

·
I railed it like Kong
637 Posts
That's the idea. But you don't know if it will actually work until you mount it and check the tire clearance.

·
Its got what plants crave
5,933 Posts
Couldn't he run a 24" tire in the rear? Sounds like he's riding some pretty gnarly stuff if he needs 7" of travel, so a 24" wheel/tire might work for him too.

·
solid gold plated
878 Posts
im really interested to know if anyone has been succesful fitting a 200mm eye to eye shock with a 57mm stroke on it.

i currently ride an 05 coiler also, and will at some point be getting a new shock or an old one push'd so if theres a possibility of squeezing a little more travel out id be well chuffed :D

so if anyone knows of anyone doing this chime in :thumbsup:

btw another problem that might occur with a longer stroke is the swingarm coming into contact with the front derailuer under full compression.

·
I railed it like Kong
637 Posts
I did not think about the deraillur being hit. But looking at it that could be possible if it went far enough but i don't think the swing arm comes that close when your fully compressed now. But the tire does come close to the seat tube now. I think the 24" tire is interesting. I have a BigHit and love the 24" rear wheel so that could work. I wonder what the new head angle and bb heigth would be?

·
solid gold plated
878 Posts
thats an interesting point, go whack your 24" wheel on it and take a pic :thumbsup:

·
Registered
696 Posts
If the bike already has a longer fork on it, its pretty raked or chopped out already. A 24" rear wheel will only compound this issue as the back end will sit about 1" lower. If you're only pointing it downhill, cool, but I'd hate to pedal it up a hill.

·
solid gold plated
878 Posts
no what we need is an adjustable tyre on a 24inch wheel which with lowering and raising the air pressures we can affect the HA, sorta like the gravity dropper seatpost... :rolleyes:

·
J'aime le Dunkeld
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hello all. Some very interesting suggestions, especially the 24" rear wheel. There's a 2007 boxxer up front though (handles amazingly by the way, every home should have one). It's not the longest of forks, but its a bit longer than the drop-off. I went and had a quick fiddle (with the coiler you dirty minded people), and it seems that i could get around 55/6 mm stroke before the rear mech hit the swingarm. There is still a good 15 mm of space between the tire and the seat tube at this point (conti deisel 2.3) - in fact it looks like the brace on the rockers would make contact first, and its still a good way off. So moving the mech up a touch might make the 57mm stroke shoke viable. I think part of the problem is the lack of adjustment on the vanilla R, so this may be the way forward if i was to get a better shock. If anyone has any ideas on which shock to get I would be very grateful too. Cheers everyone!

·
I railed it like Kong
637 Posts
You're running a Vanilla R? Switch to a DHX or a Roco and it will feel like another 1" of travel easy. There- problem solved.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
i have looked at the longer stroke shock a lot and in no way will it work as the little bridge that spans the rocker plates will strike the frame first before the tyre even gets close,and that is still tight.

if you look at the 07 coilers they no longer have the little bridge.

and as for rear shock fox are rubbish point blank buy a rocco as roccos will be getting pushed very soon

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Check into a DHX

kenneththecurtain said:
Hello all. Some very interesting suggestions, especially the 24" rear wheel. There's a 2007 boxxer up front though (handles amazingly by the way, every home should have one). It's not the longest of forks, but its a bit longer than the drop-off. I went and had a quick fiddle (with the coiler you dirty minded people), and it seems that i could get around 55/6 mm stroke before the rear mech hit the swingarm. There is still a good 15 mm of space between the tire and the seat tube at this point (conti deisel 2.3) - in fact it looks like the brace on the rockers would make contact first, and its still a good way off. So moving the mech up a touch might make the 57mm stroke shoke viable. I think part of the problem is the lack of adjustment on the vanilla R, so this may be the way forward if i was to get a better shock. If anyone has any ideas on which shock to get I would be very grateful too. Cheers everyone!
I am riding a 07 DHX 5.0 Coil right now which replaced my Fox Vanilla R. I have absolutely no complaints. No problems what so ever! I have done an 8ft drops to a decent tranny, and havent bottomed it. I too like run my suspension soft "30-35%" sag, and i dont feel like I bottom it too easy. I know I havent bottomed it off 8fters. I am running 80PSI in the boost, no propedal, and 2 visible lines of BO. I have it in the progressive notch as well. Given I weigh 165ish fully loaded... That setup provides for a very smooth ride on the trail, and remains pretty well controlled on the bigger hits. Coupled with an 06 66sl, I achieve a real nice ride:thumbsup: I hear the ROCOs are real nice shocks as well. They are supposed to be user servicable too, so that provides a bonus over the DHX. I have never ridden one, so I cant provide an educated review. I do know a guy who has a ROCO on his 07 Kona Stinkey, and he says it feels better on the big hits then his DHX 5 Air, but not as nice trail riding. But then again, you cant really compair the DHX A and Coils because they too are completely different animals. I have always wondered "Stinky on a diet: 07 66SL ATA, DHX 5.0 Air, with an allround lighter build...but not overly light to maintain durability" That could provide for a real interesting trail/freeride/dh hybrid:cool: I know I would like to try out something like that! Ha, this was supposed to be a DHX review!:rolleyes:

Oh BTW, I cant remember who said this, but i dont think its a good idea to label all Fox Susension products as junk... The two fox products i have had "Vanilla R, and DHX" have proven to be very reliable. I wasnt too fond of the Vanilla "but what do you expect out of a lower end shock?", but the DHX has been great! Fox has proven to have good customer service on my part "re-built my Vanilla under warrenty." They sent me a new protective cap for my DHX Schrader valve, that I lost "marzocchi wouldnt warrenty that little rubber plug on the PAR chamber that went to shreds." Not to nock, Marzocchi though, they are a great company too!

·
I railed it like Kong
637 Posts
Mountainbikextremist said:
I am riding a 07 DHX 5.0 Coil right now which replaced my Fox Vanilla R. I have done an 8ft drops to a decent tranny, and havent bottomed it. I too like run my suspension soft "30-35%" sag, and i dont feel like I bottom it too easy. Given I weigh 165ish fully loaded...
I don't think anyone was saying the coil has bottom out issues. Just the DHX air. Plus, the people that do have issues with the Air weigh more than you.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
rkonindustry said:
I don't think anyone was saying the coil has bottom out issues. Just the DHX air. Plus, the people that do have issues with the Air weigh more than you.
I know another guy that is running a DHX A on his heckler, and doesnt seem to have BO issues, and I know he has done stuff bigger than 8ft. I know another that is over 200ibs who has been running a DHX A with no problems. I think the smaller volume air canister is something to consider for heavier riders... I was saying the the DHX coil doesnt BO easily because the guy that started this thread was having trouble with his Vanilla R in that regard. Cheers!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Oh BTW, I cant remember who said this, but i dont think its a good idea to label all Fox Susension products as junk...

it was me and i stand by what i said,fox are and always will be over priced junk,

for the price they should be perfect but they are far from it,my top cap needed replacing, and my 05 vanilla forks had to go back due to no oil,and rattling bushings.

but i am not the only person who has had problems with fox smike killed his fox 36.

its my opinion and i will stick to it,and wont be buyiny there crap again.

and if anybody asks i will tell them the same.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
konut said:
i have looked at the longer stroke shock a lot and in no way will it work as the little bridge that spans the rocker plates will strike the frame first before the tyre even gets close,and that is still tight.

if you look at the 07 coilers they no longer have the little bridge.

and as for rear shock fox are rubbish point blank buy a rocco as roccos will be getting pushed very soon
Remove the bridge...problem solved:thumbsup: It doesnt seem to perform much of a function because as you said, the newer coilers dont have one. Thats weird though, becase I have an 05 coiler, and my bridge wont hit the rockers before the tire? :confused:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.