Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
another question....
what types of pedals do you think i should run on the coilair? it is coming w/ the jacks... pedals but i am a fan of clipping in. i was thinking about trying to find some shimano pd-m647 or something along those lines (recessed spd clip).
this will be my daily bike...i am not a dh'r but look fwd. to taking bigger jumps and some drops. it will be my all-mtn. weapon.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
switched to a light weight

for now i threw on some shimano clips from my xc bike. when we go out jumping i have swapped for the kona's. i come from a xc background so i tend to pull up w/ my pedals whereas i didn't feel i was getting as much air as possible w/ the jacks###s. i think that the skate shoes i was using had bad traction for platforms, so i want to look into something better for riding in them. either way the lakai's were slipping all over those pedals (i am sure i need to adjust my riding as well).
i have ordered a combo 661 session and cb candy pedal from jenson for only $70, so i'll see how that goes.
for now i have been airing it out again....i have much more control w/ the clips but i am definitely risking my knees / ankles!

·
Registered
54 Posts
:thumbsup: good to hear you're airborne...

Jackshits that come on stock are poor. The cage is clumsy, the pins do no work at all (that is unless you're wearing some reaaaaaly sticky rubber) and they keep falling out and the bearings are poor. Mine became loud in a matter of days.

I switched to Azonic A-Frames and I love them. They're tough, great industrial bearings, nice hollow replacable pins but maybe a bit on the heavy side. They can take some beating for sure, my only wish is that the cage wasnt so square shaped.

I would recomend to try out either CB's 5050's (heard they're good) or Shimano's DX's - both, flat and combo versions. It's important to know, that a good shoe on flats makes one helluva difference. Shimano DX Shoes are doing wonders for me.

When chosing clip pedals I would watch for one thing - make sure they offer enough rotating clearance so your knees have enough space to move freely. They're for sure a better choice for every climber (or a weight weenie:D) but I prefer the freedom of a regular shoe on flats

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.