Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Everybody:

I am determined to ask the dumbest question of the year - why aren't there any shorter travel coil forks? Or, where how can I get shorter coil forks? I (probably incorrectly) "feel" that every coil fork / shock I have ever ridden is better than its air counterpart.

Fox, for example only offers coil forks @ 160mm+ travel. Is there any way to convert an air fork to a coil fork? Or is that like trying to turn lead into gold? Thank you.

ForestHorse:confused:

·
Registered
217 Posts
What amount of travel are you looking for?
If you can find yourself a Fox 32 Vanilla fork before 2010, they are available in 140mm lengths with standard drop outs and 15mm drop outs on 2009 only. I'm also not really sure which ones are adjustable in travel, but I know for sure that the 2009 model is not adjustable.
If you are looking for something from 80mm-140mm you can get some Rock Shox Argyles and the coil Pike's are adjustable from 90mm-140mm, Marzocchi Dirt Jumpers or the 4X and the 44 is coil with air assist.
Out of everything I just listed, the Marzocchi 44 Ti rc3 is getting good reviews and while I'm not 100%sure, I believe the 44's are adjustable from 100-140. I hope this helps...

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, Endorthermic: I am just fantasizing about my dream 29er build and am seeing only air forks. So would be looking for a 120mm or 140mm 29er fork. It seems from your kind reply that one solution is just to look to other brands - like RockShox.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Am a believer in the 2010 Vanilla 140 QR15 - hassle free, unmatched early-stroke plushness and stiff enough for Trail bike / light AM duties. They made the QR15 model (the one you want) in 2009 & 2010 model years, but they are getting hard to find. Recommend you keep hunting as you won't be disappointed.

For context sake: I'm running them on a Turner Spot (08) and have tried a PikeTeam (felt cheap, but worked), F100, and RebaTeam in this size class and the Fox Van 32 is the best yet.

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
ForestHorse said:
Thank you, Endorthermic: I am just fantasizing about my dream 29er build and am seeing only air forks. So would be looking for a 120mm or 140mm 29er fork. It seems from your kind reply that one solution is just to look to other brands - like RockShox.
The Manitou Tower Expert uses a coil spring with air preload. These are very good forks with one of the best dampers on the market.

·
Registered
69 Posts
ForestHorse, I agree with you, all coil forx/shox I have have experienced feel much better than the air counterparts. I think that air forx/shox are better than ever but still not good enough. The hunt for lower weight is a good thing for many of us but I feel it goes a bit too far! Fork-wise, I think there should be more coil options out there! Especially higher end stuff and also shorter travel versions too!

I have heard great stuff about the RS Sector coil fork! Great value combined with great performance. There is a U-turm version so you can have the amount of travel you need. Almost got one myself...

I just received a 2011 Marzocchi 44 RC3 Ti coil fork and although I have not yet ridden the fork it feels awsome right out of the box. Stiction free and plush! Get great reviwes from several places too!

Allthough the airforks have come a long way I have tried a couple but was never satified...
For example a 2010 Fox Talas RLC with FIT crtridge = tons of stiction even after running it for 30-40 hours including sevice! Horrible notchy feeling stiction!
Right now I have a 2010 RS Revelation Team Dual Air that is way better than the Fox but still with stiction and not peforming 100% like I would want it to...
I very much look forward to riding the 44 RC3 Ti, and I was happy to see that it actually weighs only 100 grams more than my current RS Revelation!

·
Registered
340 Posts
Agreed coils work better for my riding as well. Smooth, predictable and most of all, durable...

If you can ride a 130mm look on ebay for a manitou splice. It is an older 2005ish coil fork that weighs in at 4.5# and holds up to just about anything. Only drawback is QR only, I believe.

John

1 - 10 of 10 Posts