Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know how much weight savings for a Fox SLS vs a Fox standard steel spring?

Is the MRP Progressive Spring worth the money?

It's hard to beat $30 for a coil, but steel cols weigh a ton!

·
Short-Change-Hero
6,534 Posts
Dumb question, but are springs universal across the board? Or are they "specific" to the brand of shock (e.g. only can get RS springs for RS Shocks, Fox for Fox, etc.). Not talking about modifying the spring to fit the shock or anything. New to this whole coil sprung market thingy so completely clueless.

·
always licking the glass
3,616 Posts
Dumb question, but are springs universal across the board? Or are they "specific" to the brand of shock (e.g. only can get RS springs for RS Shocks, Fox for Fox, etc.). Not talking about modifying the spring to fit the shock or anything. New to this whole coil sprung market thingy so completely clueless.
I'm curious too. I would like a SLS spring for a Fox shock that's not necessarily orange.

·
Premium Member
9,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wut, yuz got a problem wit orange?

Don't talk bad aboot orange in East Tennessee of you be pushing up kudzu!

I'm curious too. I would like a SLS spring for a Fox shock that's not necessarily orange.

·
Short-Change-Hero
6,534 Posts
Thanks for the info @Guy.Ford

Was looking at the TFTuned spring rate calculator and if I did the tool properly it says I "should" be running a 450# spring instead of a 400# like was installed on my Smash. Contemplating trying it just to see what the difference in feel would be.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Any decent PC company will do it for you. Just take it to your local dude and do it. Cost me $15 to do mine a solid color. $20 metallic.

·
No known cure
4,888 Posts
EXT Storia springs fit RS shocks with reducers available to fit other shock bodies. They weigh the same as Ti and also come in 25lb increments. I'm going this route.

·
No known cure
4,888 Posts
Apparently quite a few EWS and World Cup riders are using the EXT Coils on their setups and just having them powder coated orange or black.
I've used Ti springs on a number of shocks over the past 14 years and have always felt steel was a better spring material. Since 1998, I always ran Mountainspeed Springs by Eibach with PUSH tunes back when they were still in California. Then MRP dropped the springs and I found Ti. Cant wait for the EXT.

·
Registered
14,693 Posts
EXT Storia springs fit RS shocks with reducers available to fit other shock bodies. They weigh the same as Ti and also come in 25lb increments. I'm going this route.
Where is a good vendor to get one of these springs to a North American address? Do we have to buy from the EU?

·
No known cure
4,888 Posts
Vader or Vik, did either of you try one of the lightweight springs? I don't know if under the paint they are the same thing but I have read some people also like the SAR lightweight enduro springs. I am still running a standard steel spring and am curious if these lightweight springs provide any different feel.

https://superalloyracing.com/produc...ic-compatible-65mm-stroke-pom-spacer-included
I haven't if you're asking about the EX Storia spring. At the beginning of the virus thing, Italy was one of the ground zeros and production was halted., which reminds me, it's time to shoot the US importer an email.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Bumping an older thread from the spring. From my poking around, it looks like SAR is actually who makes the coils for EXT.

Are the SLS springs still considered fragile and only supposed to last one season? My current shock is a little over 900g so I'd like to trim some weight. Can find used SLS springs but that feels like a roll of the dice.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts