Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does the spring rate vary depending on the design of your rear suspension?

My Ellsworth Joker has a single pivot design, would I need a different rear coil spring if I were to put the same coil on a 4 bar suspension??

Confused.. :confused:

·
Registered
804 Posts
leverage

hoiminglee said:
Does the spring rate vary depending on the design of your rear suspension?

My Ellsworth Joker has a single pivot design, would I need a different rear coil spring if I were to put the same coil on a 4 bar suspension??
It is all about leverage. Some designs put more leverage on the shock than others thereby requiring a heavier spring. It is not necessarily a single pivot vs. 4 bar issue; it is the length of the lever.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
frank n. beans said:
It is all about leverage. Some designs put more leverage on the shock than others thereby requiring a heavier spring. It is not necessarily a single pivot vs. 4 bar issue; it is the length of the lever.
Yep. IT's what FnB said. leverage also varies during the stroke on many bikes.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys,

still confusing, appreciate the link, however it asks me what program to associate it with when i try to execute it.

guess at the end of the day the spring weight probably wouldn't change much from one platform to another. i.e. if my single pivot requires 500lb spring rate I'm probably ok with the same weight on another design i.e. vpp or 4 bar etc. :confused:

·
Registered
85 Posts
hoiminglee said:
Thanks guys,

still confusing, appreciate the link, however it asks me what program to associate it with when i try to execute it.

guess at the end of the day the spring weight probably wouldn't change much from one platform to another. i.e. if my single pivot requires 500lb spring rate I'm probably ok with the same weight on another design i.e. vpp or 4 bar etc. :confused:
Maybe so...maybe no...

I had a Rock Shox Deluxe on my steed...and I was using a 750 lb. spring on that shock (I weigh 235). I was still getting the 'hobby-horse" effect...

I now have a Manitou Swinger 3-Way Air shock on my ride....I have the main air spring set at 170psi (with the knowledge that the air spring will ramp up significantly upon compression) and the SPV chamber set at 75 psi (although I may lower that threshold to 65-70psi).

There are many variables that can determine the appropriate spring rate (frame placement of the shock , suspension design, body weight, etc.). I guess that's why I switched to an air shock. It offers immediate adjustability of the spring rate as compared to having to dismount a coil-over shock every time I wanted to change the spring.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.