Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know if the coils are the same dimensions and swappable between the Swinger 6 way and the Progressive 5th Element? I have noticed that the Manitou coils are a lot less expensive...

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Yes, you can swap them. They (Manitou and Progressive) both license the same Curnutt technology so the spring dimensions are the same.
frank n. beans said:
Does anybody know if the coils are the same dimensions and swappable between the Swinger 6 way and the Progressive 5th Element? I have noticed that the Manitou coils are a lot less expensive...

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Measurements

More info: I have a 400# Manitou coil on my desk, and a ruler. I should have posted this earlier.

Inner diameter 36.5mm
Outer diameter 53.5mm

If anyone has the measurements for a Progressive spring please share.

I think I am accurate to 0.5mm.

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
006_007 said:
I have a 350# steel progressive:

ID @ 35mm
OD @ 49.5mm

:cool:
Apples and oranges.

For comparison to be fair, you gotta compare two springs of the same rate. What gives the rate is basically (but not only) the wire gauge/diameter.

By your measurements though they SEEM to be the same.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Same size. Go-ride.com does it all the time. They sell the cheaper since people don't want to spend the money to get something of the same value for more $$$. The inner and outer diameter is the same, so bay all means you can do it too.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
case closed

Thank for the numbers. And thanks to whoever else gave the confirmation that they are compatible via go-ride, thank you too.

350# steel Manitou: OD 53mm, ID 36mm.

I recently purchased a new steel coil - the Manitou coils were $20 and the same weight / stroke Progressive was $40.

Need a new spring on your Progressive or can't find the right weight for your Swinger - keep this in mind.

·
Registered
10,122 Posts
lebikerboy said:
I should have also said that at the shop we swap manitou coils for progressive on a regular basis as they are the same size.
DOH, yes, that bit of info would have definately helped the cause! Thanks anyway though. Good to know we can swap if needed.

Does Manitou make Ti springs as well? I cant remember how much I paid for my Progressive Ti spring, but would be interested in comparing in case I decide to get a spare.

TJ

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.