Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering changing from my dhx5 air to a coil-based rear shock on my Covert v2 after I talked to Transition who told me that it is possible (I wasnt sure, space on the lower shock mount looks so limited heh)

The Transition tech guy told me he is running a dhx5 coil himself and he seemed very satisfied with the results.
Now I was wondering about experience other people made running coil on their Coverts. I'm also really curious which shock you are using.

I myself am actually thinking Double Barrel with a Titanium spring just to bling my beloved baby up a bit. ;)
Anyone of you actually running a CCDB on their Covert?

Any experiences and comments more than welcome!

Thanks

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
bought a CCDB (used but reworked for) to try on my V1.5 Covert and with rides in some SoCal canyons as well as rooty and rocky trails the main thing I noticed was an entirely higher level of grip. I've been able to push my riding more and more where I probably need to upgrade to a longer travel bike because the shock just doesn't get out of shape.

The adjustments are easy to do and not difficult if you are methodical with them. I lucked out with the price I paid for it so...all love here. CCDBs seem to get along particularly well with single pivot type designs.

I originally asked the same question here about going to coil and had really positive responses and advice from Covert owners so I did it. don't think I'd go back to air again if I get on a 6" trail bike. It has been moto-good for me. good luck with it.

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
cryion said:
thanks man. thats what i wanted to hear! :)

edit: and yes, you caught me, i did not do a search if this had already been asked. sorry!
no worries on the "pre-search". I was just relating that I had the exact same question last year. it's all good.

Haven't put a ti spring yet though. maybe this summer but i really haven't felt the need. My fitness or lack of on climbs is my biggest problem but the extra 1.5lbs heading down is a plus and that's where it gives me that extra confidence to scare the **** out of myself a little more! :p

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
actually weight would be my biggest concern. i am already on around 34,17lbs.
im also considering going saint on the brakes cause i just love them on my blindside.
all those changes will add up quite a bit of weight and 35+lbs on a trail bike that is also excessively used for uphill seems a bit much...

·
Registered
42 Posts
53119 said:
rooty and rocky trails the main thing I noticed was an entirely higher level of grip. I've been able to push my riding more and more where I probably need to upgrade to a longe
Good point about the increased traction. The propedal isn't as much of a lockout on the coil, but it definitely allows the wheel to stay planted to the ground better both climbing and descending. Standing up out of the saddle, with the right weight placement, good luck loosing traction!

·
Rabid Lana Fan
10,122 Posts
I'm running an Elka Stage 5 on my v2. I love it. Sure, it adds weight. But so does the Hammerschmidt and the dropper post and the HD wheels and the big fork, etc, etc.

I have to say, though, I ordered the Elka with my build kit and never have run an air shock on my Covert, so I can't offer up a comparison.

·
think
853 Posts
Coil shock is one of the last things I haven't tried on my covert and would like to, but I'm already getting on 33 pounds with the Joplin. Like cryion said, a 35 pound Covert is a bit much. At that point I might as well get a new Blindside and build it a little light for trail use.

I'm considering a Monarch (push rt-am?) instead...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i think id end up at 35lbs when going coil. hammerschmidt and lyric coil really add some weight.
i will however change from my ex721s to ztr flows once i wreck them. should reduce some weight.

i still need an adjustable seatpost tho.
argh dunno what to do ! ^^

·
Registered
247 Posts
just got new covert built up at 31.7 lbs. it has the 36 van rc2 and the rp23 air shock, also high roller 2.35 tires. no adjustable seatpost, no hammerschmidt, no frnt derailleur (1x9 with 32t chainring and 11-36 cassette). i have a dhx rc4 which will go on it for certain summer rides, and from experience on my v1.5 covert, it works great. it will probably add about 1 pound to the bike. i'm having a tough time figuring where all the weight is on some of the bikes described in this thread - are you guys sure your bikes weigh that much? i don't want to list my entire build, but it ain't fancy, and it ain't lightweight.

well....ok. build - x.7 ss derailleur + x.9 shifter; hope pro II hubs laced w/db spokes and sun eq 29 rims; 2.35 1-ply wire bead high rollers are ghetto tubeless; tbc t-bar 30 bars; easton ea 30 post; traitor cycles seat; elixir r 160mm f/r brakes; cane creek tapered headset; new rp23 mid vol shock; truvativ aka 60mm stem; tld odi grips; shimano deore hollowtech II 170mm cranks; easton ball bearing concave pedals w/10mm pins; e*thirteen srs+ 36t chainguide system; shimano 11-36t 9 spd cassette; 10 spd chain; shimano 32 t steel middle ring - all coming in at 31.7 lbs. the bike is going to get lighter soon when i put the slx cranks, wtb laserdisk trail rims, and deity decoy pedals on, and aluminum chainring. also thinking about swapping out the 36 van for a 36 float. after all that, adding the rc4 should bring the bike to about 32 lbs. so, does a hammerschmidt and adjustable seatpost add that much weight - really? maybe weight your bikes on an accurate scale?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
unfortunately i cant give precise weight on mine. i measured most of the parts, but not the hammerschmidt and the lyric for example - so im just going with numbers i found on website.

i ordered an electronic suspension scale.. should tell me how much the whole build weighs.

hammerschmidt by itself weighs quite a bit more than a standard crankset. however if you add bashguard and chainguide and front der. (which you dont need on the hs) i think the weight-difference isnt all that high anymore.

Im running (lets c if i can remember everything):

Lyric Uturn Coil
fox dhx 5 air
Cane Creek headset
thomson elite 50mm stem
thomson elite seatpost
pro saddle (vanderham edition)
sunline v1 bars 711mm (i think) with odi troy lee grips
rear der. and shifters are x.9.
breaks avid code with 200/180 (160mm front and rear seems small for an enduro, no?)
some sram cassette
mavic ex721 on hope hoops
muddy mary gg freeride edition in 2.35 and fat albert rear 2.4

did i forget anything?

fairly standard i guess. think lot of extra weight still comes from coil lyric, hammerschmidt and the wheelset..

·
Registered
831 Posts
mr.niles said:
just got new covert built up at 31.7 lbs. it has the 36 van rc2 and the rp23 air shock, also high roller 2.35 tires. no adjustable seatpost, no hammerschmidt, no frnt derailleur (1x9 with 32t chainring and 11-36 cassette). i have a dhx rc4 which will go on it for certain summer rides, and from experience on my v1.5 covert, it works great. it will probably add about 1 pound to the bike. i'm having a tough time figuring where all the weight is on some of the bikes described in this thread - are you guys sure your bikes weigh that much? i don't want to list my entire build, but it ain't fancy, and it ain't lightweight.

well....ok. build - x.7 ss derailleur + x.9 shifter; hope pro II hubs laced w/db spokes and sun eq 29 rims; 2.35 1-ply wire bead high rollers are ghetto tubeless; tbc t-bar 30 bars; easton ea 30 post; traitor cycles seat; elixir r 160mm f/r brakes; cane creek tapered headset; new rp23 mid vol shock; truvativ aka 60mm stem; tld odi grips; shimano deore hollowtech II 170mm cranks; easton ball bearing concave pedals w/10mm pins; e*thirteen srs+ 36t chainguide system; shimano 11-36t 9 spd cassette; 10 spd chain; shimano 32 t steel middle ring - all coming in at 31.7 lbs. the bike is going to get lighter soon when i put the slx cranks, wtb laserdisk trail rims, and deity decoy pedals on, and aluminum chainring. also thinking about swapping out the 36 van for a 36 float. after all that, adding the rc4 should bring the bike to about 32 lbs. so, does a hammerschmidt and adjustable seatpost add that much weight - really? maybe weight your bikes on an accurate scale?
Nice build! What model is the cassette exactly?

·
Registered
247 Posts
steve E: the cassette is actually a 12-36, so my mistake. it's called a shimano HG61 29er cassette. i got it because i didn't want to go 10 spd to get a 36t. instead i have a 1x9 that gives me a great set of ratios without the need for a frnt derailleur. this arose because i was dropping my chain way too often while riding places like downieville/northstar, etc w/the traditional 2x9 setup. with the 32t chainring and 36t rr cog, the bike climbs good enough for anything i typically consider rideable. another thing i discovered quite by accident is the smoothness of the 10 spd chain on the 9 spd drivetrain - the narrower chain has a greater degree of freedom for derailleur adjustments, and seems to shift quicker in ruff stuff.

brakes: yeah, 160mm f/r does seem small, and i may put 180mm or 200mm on the front. but so far i can't justify it. it seems like no matter what i'm doing or where i'm riding (except cave trail), those little elixirs work. i just come rushing up, really get my hands into 'em, and brake late and hard and those elixirs just plain do it! downieville, northstar, annadel, rockville, ucsc, demo, boyscout - i've beat on 'em pretty good. but, i ABSOLUTELY NEVER USE ORGANIC PADS - only sintered work for me.

·
Registered
247 Posts
cryion: your bike might weight less than 34 lbs. check it on a good scale when you get one.

how much do you weigh? i'm coming in at around 175 lbs lately.

you might be carrying extra weight in those big code brakes, but maybe you need them if you weigh a lot.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.