Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im running a CC DB Coil CS, 500lb spring. HSC is set to 1.5 turns from fully open, LSC is about 18 turns from fully open. I can bottom the shock out by bunny hopping in the car park. Does this suggest an incorrect spring rate?

am assuming its an obvious answer of yes.....

I do have a 550lb spring. I think this would be better? I can't see how I can stiffen the existing spring up any more and it doesn't make much sense that I should be cranking on all compression settings to prevent bottom out on a bunny hop?

·
Registered
687 Posts
"Although it is possible to fit a coil shock on the Bronson, Santa Cruz designed it with air in mind; there's not really enough end-stroke ramp up to make a coil the best choice. There's also not quite enough clearance in the shock tunnel to fit a Float X2 or a Cane Creek DB air – those oversize air cans don't fit."

source: https://www.pinkbike.com/news/review-santa-cruz-bronson-v3.html

P.S. At least increase spring rate and check. Maybe you will fond smth acceptable.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Crank up the HSC. My frame has a linear and I have HSC at 4.

Also, are you 100% sure you're bottoming out? I thought I was bottoming mine by bunny hopping off the curb. The top out bumper being pushed down the end of the shock can mean ~75-100% travel being used.

In either case... if you have a 550 definitely try that.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Stiffer spring is needed. You are putting way more comprehension velocity riding a rock garden at high speed or hitting a drop than bunny hopping.

What's your sag?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts