Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I’m thinking of switching out the stock Fox Float X2 rear shock on my 2019 Enduro for a coil shock. Aside from the obvious Ohlins, does anyone know which other manufacturers produce coil shocks that can fit on my bike?

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
765 Posts
I believe Ohlins is the only coil model that is available with the proprietary Specialized mount that matches the stock yoke, at least in the size for this bike (for the older Enduro Evo I know the CCDB coil and a lower end Fox coil were available, but that bike used a longer stroke). But you can get a BikeYoke and use pretty much any shock you want:
https://www.bikeyoke.de/en/specialized-enduro-2017-2018-29-650b.html

Note that with the BikeYoke you lose the adjustable geometry of the stock yoke with "flip chip", i.e. you have to choose either low or high when you buy the yoke.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I believe Ohlins is the only coil model that is available with the proprietary Specialized mount that matches the stock yoke, at least in the size for this bike (for the older Enduro Evo I know the CCDB coil and a lower end Fox coil were available, but that bike used a longer stroke). But you can get a BikeYoke and use pretty much any shock you want:
https://www.bikeyoke.de/en/specialized-enduro-2017-2018-29-650b.html

Note that with the BikeYoke you lose the adjustable geometry of the stock yoke with "flip chip", i.e. you have to choose either low or high when you buy the yoke.
Thanks for the reply jimw! I am aware of bikeyoke, was hoping that I did not have to go for that option.. I guess I'll have to weigh the pros and cons in my internal debate

·
Rides all the bikes!
4,489 Posts
I have never used high mode. I might try it if I build some 650b's with 2.8's. Unless you are seriously planning to use high mode, going with a Bikeyoke isn't a big deal.

I have an Enduro Ohlins coil edition.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have never used high mode. I might try it if I build some 650b's with 2.8's. Unless you are seriously planning to use high mode, going with a Bikeyoke isn't a big deal.

I have an Enduro Ohlins coil edition.
Yeah, but the price tag of the bike yoke is a bit of a turnoff

·
Registered
765 Posts
There are basically 2 coil shocks worth considering for that bike, the Ohlins TTX22m or the EXT Storia. The Ohlins is tuned for the bike and performs great, works with the stock yoke, has a climb mode, and you can find used ones/takeoffs in the $400 ish range if you look around. The EXT is supposed to perform even better than the Ohlins, but it's more expensive, less places to get them/get service, plus you have to get the BikeYoke on top of that. IMO it's basically those 2 choices because basically any other coil shock besides the EXT that you'd run with the BikeYoke is probably going to be inferior to the Ohlins, and ultimately end up at a similar cost or more.

·
And I'm out.
506 Posts
As of 2019 there is no longer a "proprietary" mount for the Enduro... its just a regular 1/2"x 1/2" DU mount at both ends. the FlipChip is a sort of replacement for a pin machined to fit the yoke. So you could run a DVO, Fox, RockShox, Cane Creek, Ohlins, Bobs-country-kitchen-special if you wanted... because Specialized is ... ahh.... now awesome?!

·
Registered
765 Posts
As of 2019 there is no longer a "proprietary" mount for the Enduro... its just a regular 1/2"x 1/2" DU mount at both ends. the FlipChip is a sort of replacement for a pin machined to fit the yoke. So you could run a DVO, Fox, RockShox, Cane Creek, Ohlins, Bobs-country-kitchen-special if you wanted... because Specialized is ... ahh.... now awesome?!
That's the case for the new Stumpy, not the current Enduro AFAIK. Or did they slip in some running change?

Didn't know EXT/DHX2 were actually available with the proprietary Spec end block, interesting!

There is another argument for the BikeYoke though, which is that that design doesn't subject the shock to as much side-loading forces from the yoke (since it can move at the DU if needed). This is an actual problem, Ohlins has said that for the air shock case this was part of the problem with the seal failures on STX22 shocks. From talking to a guy at Ohlins apparently they were originally going to offer the new TTX air shock with the Spec fitment but decided not to because of this issue. I've personally had the Spec end block loosen up on the shaft on 3 separate coil shocks on an Enduro (CCDB and 2 TTX22m's), fortunately covered under warranty.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It only applies to the stumpy, for the Enduro we'll have to wait for the 2020 model..

That's the case for the new Stumpy, not the current Enduro AFAIK. Or did they slip in some running change?

Didn't know EXT/DHX2 were actually available with the proprietary Spec end block, interesting!

There is another argument for the BikeYoke though, which is that that design doesn't subject the shock to as much side-loading forces from the yoke (since it can move at the DU if needed). This is an actual problem, Ohlins has said that for the air shock case this was part of the problem with the seal failures on STX22 shocks. From talking to a guy at Ohlins apparently they were originally going to offer the new TTX air shock with the Spec fitment but decided not to because of this issue. I've personally had the Spec end block loosen up on the shaft on 3 separate coil shocks on an Enduro (CCDB and 2 TTX22m's), fortunately covered under warranty.
I believe for the EXT, it will have to be custom ordered.
Regarding the yoke, that is come unsettling news.. Which model year are you on btw?

·
Registered
765 Posts
Regarding the yoke, that is come unsettling news.. Which model year are you on btw?
I'm on a 2017. It also happened on my 2014 Evo, which uses a different yoke/stroke length but the same connector. Technically it could be an issue on any model with a yoke that doesn't allow for any rotational movement where it attaches to the shock, which goes back to 2010 (judging from the fact that BikeYoke has yokes for models going that far back).

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm on a 2017. It also happened on my 2014 Evo, which uses a different yoke/stroke length but the same connector. Technically it could be an issue on any model with a yoke that doesn't allow for any rotational movement where it attaches to the shock, which goes back to 2010 (judging from the fact that BikeYoke has yokes for models going that far back).
Oh dear... No wonder they decided to ditch the proprietary design..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.