Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of fitting a coil to my v3.

What coil shock are you running and how does it compare to the stock air shock?

My riding is tech single track, loamy Rooty, off camber type stuff (typical UK wet conditions), with some rocky descent type trails also in the mix.

Am I right in thinking that a coil shock will offer more traction and grip than an air shock? I don't really do jumps, I'm not really a 'send it' type of rider.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
I have ran a few, DHX2, Cane Creek DB Coil CS and now a EXT Storia V3. They have all worked really nicely, the EXT is very very good, its not cheap but the performance is amazing. I have a brand new just build DHX2 for sale and I am in the UK if it would interest you?

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rick, are you the guy I bumped into at Surrey Hills a few weeks ago? Primer Grey V3 with EXT shock. We had a quick chat at the top of one of the hills.

I’m guessing you don’t blow through all the travel very easily? I though this was an issue with the linkage design on the V3 when using coil shocks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Rick, are you the guy I bumped into at Surrey Hills a few weeks ago? Primer Grey V3 with EXT shock. We had a quick chat at the top of one of the hills.

I'm guessing you don't blow through all the travel very easily? I though this was an issue with the linkage design on the V3 when using coil shocks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi, Nope not me, I am based near Manchester. Nope not had a ny issues blowing through the travel, I went up a rate of spring on the DHX2 and the Cane Creek but with the EXT I went down a spring.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Marzocchi Bomber CR on V3 Bronson?

Hi I'm thinking about upgrading to a coil on my 2019 Bronson I am currently riding pretty hard on my Bronson (more free ride and chunky tech ) I want to be able to stay on my flat peddles through tech, but if I have the shock pumped up enough to take the big jumps its like riding a hardtail through the tech. If I drop it down in pressure it sends through tech so well, but gaps over 25ft just completely bottoms it out sooo hard I have actually bent the bottom bolt holding my shock in. I really want a coil as I had one on my 2018 bronson and I like the ability to adjust preload without tools and loved how it felt on the trails but I don't have 700$ to spend on a coil so I'm thinking about the Marzocchi Bomber CR. Anyone know if it will fit in my frame it is a size large aluminium frame (which I would think would give me a bit more clearance in the tunnel compared to carbon) I currently have the stock lower link in the bike but I was thinking about getting the cascade link that bumps the travel up to 160mm but that's 350$ another reason why I want a cheeper coil. I know the cascade link says it gives you more room for more coil options so im pretty sure it will fit with that but I want to know if it can fit with the stock link. I'm pretty sure the Marzocchi uses the fox DHX2 spring would would leave me to think it will fit because the DHX2 fits but idk. also will the piggyback interfere with anything? anyone have experience with frame and shock combo? thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Marzocchi Bomber CR on V3 Bronson?

Hi I'm thinking about upgrading to a coil on my 2019 Bronson I am currently riding pretty hard on my Bronson (more free ride and chunky tech ) I want to be able to stay on my flat peddles through tech, but if I have the shock pumped up enough to take the big jumps its like riding a hardtail through the tech. If I drop it down in pressure it sends through tech so well, but gaps over 25ft just completely bottoms it out sooo hard I have actually bent the bottom bolt holding my shock in. I really want a coil as I had one on my 2018 bronson and I like the ability to adjust preload without tools and loved how it felt on the trails but I don't have 700$ to spend on a coil so I'm thinking about the Marzocchi Bomber CR. Anyone know if it will fit in my frame it is a size large aluminium frame (which I would think would give me a bit more clearance in the tunnel compared to carbon) I currently have the stock lower link in the bike but I was thinking about getting the cascade link that bumps the travel up to 160mm but that's 350$ another reason why I want a cheeper coil. I know the cascade link says it gives you more room for more coil options so im pretty sure it will fit with that but I want to know if it can fit with the stock link. I'm pretty sure the Marzocchi uses the fox DHX2 spring would would leave me to think it will fit because the DHX2 fits but idk. also will the piggyback interfere with anything? anyone have experience with frame and shock combo? thanks
I tested the Cane Creek DB coil that's way more adjustable than the Zocchi.
Due to the linear nature of the Bronson's suspension curve upgrading from a air shock to coil ones doesn't improve the ride very much. However, it's way more heavy...
I even tested the new progressive coils... gave a slight improvement but still ain't worthy.
However, I have the EXT Storia V3 with a specific Bronson tune on test right now. WoW!!! Turns the bike into the mini DH bike that it was meant to be love. Love it very much!

·
Registered
609 Posts
I have the EXT Storia V3 with a specific Bronson tune on test right now. WoW!!! Turns the bike into the mini DH bike that it was meant to be love. Love it very much!
What frame size you having?
Really like my Bronson with the DPX2, but thinking to upgrade to EXT Storia V3, or to go all in and change the frame to the new Nomad v5...

·
Registered
4 Posts
What frame size you having?
Really like my Bronson with the DPX2, but thinking to upgrade to EXT Storia V3, or to go all in and change the frame to the new Nomad v5...
It's a medium. The storia provides a very plush suspension with optimum bottom out.
You'll turn your Bronson into mini DH bike. With the DPX2 it is more of capable all mountain than mini DH. The Nomad V5 is more flat out and less poppy and agile... really depends on your local trails and riding style.
I guess a new Bronson V4 should be come out this year...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.