Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sick of the AFR shock on my 2009 enduro sl. Will the dhx coil or any other coil shock bolt up properly? What's the suggested spring rate for a 170lb agressive rider?

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
No machining necessary. Just get the right sized reducers. Make sure it is an 7.875x2.25 shock and you are golden. I don't have a coil on my SL but a buddy of mine does and it was just a swap and bolt on. If you want to find out the proper Spring Rate, give Fox a call and they will point you in the right direction. I would say a 400 to 450lb spring but don't quote me on that. Do a thread search also. There are a few threads on this subject.

·
Now with More Wood
2,964 Posts
Iguana - you called? :D

DHX Coil on the SL....yes, that was a great upgrade for this bike, if you want to ride it a bit more aggressively.
Better bottom out resistance AND greater small bump compliance, with that lovely coil feel (the trade-off being weight and slightly more pedal bob - it was not an issue for me, but you should note that your regular climbs will feel just that little bit tougher...). I had the shock custom valved for this specific set up and my riding style....to get better mid-stroke resistance and more bottom-out resistance as well (with a PUSH bottom out bumper thrown in for good measure). I had mine ordered and set up by TF Tuned in the UK.(http://www.tftunedshox.com/index.php).
Neil set up my shock for me - he did a super job on the valving (after talking to me on the phone to figure out what I wanted from the tune), felt great right out of the box.

You need the 7.875x2.25 as far as size goes.
I went with the 550lbs spring...I'm a bit over 200 lbs when kitted out to ride...that worked out great. TF Tuned automatically supply the right mounting hardware with your order...you'll need to check with your shop/store that they will do the same, and you won't have any issues (I just bolted it up and went riding).

Good luck and enjoy the upgrade!

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow, that's what I wanted to hear. I tried to search for info but I kept getting the info for putting the shock on an 05-06 enduro (non-SL).

So what's the weight penalty? A pound or so? Did you use the 5.0 model with the propedal? I was wondering if that would help or be a waste to spend extra on?

I had an 06 enduro with the dhx-A and really wasn't happy with it (06 or 07) I had thought about going with an rp23 or dhx-A but was intrested in trying a coil.

Thanks for the info.

·
Now with More Wood
2,964 Posts
Yeah, about 1 pound. No big deal...

Yes, I went with the 5.0...I think it is the best option. I ran the ProPedal light, but I did run it. Helps keep the pedal bob in check on moderate pedaling sections. I never touched it once it was dialled in though, like there is no need to crank it up for climbing or opening it fully going down...set Propedal on a couple of clicks, and let the by-pass circuit do its thing...works great, it never spiked on bigger hits and was still nice and plush through the small stuff.

DHX-A...meh....you can't compare it. The coil feel tons better. And for the weight penalty, there is always the TI spring option as well....I never went there, because frankly it did not bother me....but if you want to get back close to stock weight it is good to know that you can have the best of 2 worlds.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah it's nice to have a bike with this much travel under 28 pounds so I might go with a TI coil.

Also, what fork are you running? I'd like to stick with my talas just to avoid spending more money. I wasn't sure about the ride with a coil rear and air front.

·
Now with More Wood
2,964 Posts
I was running the e150 (have since changed bikes altogether...). It was great when paired with the DHX...(it actually seemed like a better fork from the day I got the DHX...). My advice would be to stick with the Talas you have for now, and see if there is anything that bothers you about it once you get the DHX. No need to worry about an air/coil "mismatch"...the SL still retains an "all-mountain" feel to it even efter the coil shock upgrade....well compatible with a travel adjust air fork.

·
Now with More Wood
2,964 Posts

·
Registered
890 Posts
Thank God I looked at this thread, Im just about to purchase a dhx 5.0 coil for my enduro and forgot completely about the mounting hardware. Im going to order it within the next couple of days.

So I know, what is all included in the mounting hardware?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
A note to consider: The bottom bushings on carbon frame Enduro SL's are wider compared to their aluminum counterparts.
A very good point. I just read the thread the other day from the guy who got his messed up by the bike shop. The used a shock from an aluminum model and never swapped the spacers. Ended up hosing the bottom mounting tabs up pretty bad.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.