Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will a coil shock with reservoir fit on the new '09 5.5 Spots? I know most will run an air shock with this bike, but its always nice to have the option.

thanks,
TG

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I asked DT about this a couple weeks ago and he confirmed that the Fox Coil will fit and clear. He is unsure about the CCDB.

·
Registered
122 Posts
CCDB - It's a tight fit!

I have just carried out a frame transplant to move from a large 05 HL Spot to a large 09 DW Spot. I had left my CCDB on the HL frame and so far only ridden for 2 hours on the DW with the standard RP23. Note: RP23 weighs 288gm, and CCDB with 400lb Ti spring weighs 668gm.

Apologies for the camera phone photo quality (taken in the kitchen!).

I checked the mounting hardware and thankfully found that Turner carried the dimensions of the old Spot mounting over to the DW frames.

I initially mounted the CCDB (the right way up) without spring to test full compression for contact points.

CCDB Pic 1.jpg

CCDB Pic 2.jpg

As you can see it fits but it will be very tight if the bottom out bump stop is fully compressed under a maximum travel impact.

I have seen a number riders fit their CCDB's inverted, but this will not work on a large DW Spot frame. Although the shock will mount, the adjusters will start to impact the down tube after about 1/3 compression.

CCDB Pic 3.jpg

CCDB Pic 4.jpg

With the shock the right way up again and with the spring fitted, there is potential if the rear mech cable is not correctly fitted of it being trapped in the coils if the spring gets close to being coil bound. I used the relatively new Goodridge gear cables which are much stiffer than previous cables, so this should not be a problem.

CCDB Pic 5.jpg

CCDB Pic 6.jpg

I have not ridden the DW Spot with the CCDB as yet (hopefully tomorrow), but the initial impressions are that the suspension moves much more easily than with the RP23. I do not know if it will need a re-shim, because I undertand that Iron Horse DW bike needed lowered compression (or similar), with CCDB's.

Finally because it is always requested, a side on shot of the complete bike (with RP23). Note: the rear brake fitting is temporary arrangement to get my Hope Mono M4 IS brake to mount on to the post mount fitting. Formula brakes have been ordered, but in England at least they appear to be out of stock until Feb 09 (if later I will probably hold out for the new R1's).

CCDB Pic 7.jpg

Complete bike with CCDB

CCDB Pic 9.jpg

·
trail fairy
9,546 Posts
Looking good descender be great if we could have a full side on picc with the CCDB underneath the side view shot of the full one with air can to compare cheers if pos, as you say it seems to really expose the cable routing more, not that it will affect most people probably run air anyway but still interesting!

Look fwd to ya ride comparisons enjoy! Nice rig.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Goodridge Gear Cables

Since I needed full length outers for the DW Spot, I could not use the Nokon system that I had on the HL Spot. I had not seen the Goodridge cables before, but spotted them while looking at other cables.

Since the Goodridge brake hose kits always seem to get good reviews I decided to give these a go. I only have 4 hours riding on these so far, but they appear to be of very high quality.

The stiffness of the outer appears to be an advantage since it keeps it away from the shock body.

·
Wicketed
600 Posts
just to update this thread:
i've just been into my lbs with my CCDB and tried it fitted to the medium spot frame. again, it's a tight fit but there is enough clearance. the rubber bottom bumper would need to be totally flatened before there's contact with the downtube.

suffice it to say, a test ride has been arranged and credit card is quivering in fearful anticipation.

·
bump and grind
707 Posts
How about the Avy Chubie? It seems to be smaller than the CCDB, so I suppose it should fit, doesnt it?

·
Registered
129 Posts
CCDB Hardware Mounting on a Spot

For someone that is looking to fit a CCDB on a Turner Spot, can the spacers from the Fox rp23 carry over to the CCDB? Thank you

·
Registered
431 Posts
intensworks said:
For someone that is looking to fit a CCDB on a Turner Spot, can the spacers from the Fox rp23 carry over to the CCDB? Thank you
Depends on the spec of your CCDB. On Turner's 21.6mm shock mounting, Cane Creek will recommend going with the spherical bearing setup, in which case, the Fox hardware is NOT transferable. However, if the shock in question was built with the original intention of being fitted to another bike, with wider mountings, it may indeed have a standard 1/2" eyelet, in which case the hardware is transferable. Post a pic of the shock in question and we could tell you instantly.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
cobym2 said:
How about the Avy Chubie? It seems to be smaller than the CCDB, so I suppose it should fit, doesnt it?
I've got a Spot and an Avy Chubie on order from MHC. I emailed the technical drawings that one can find on Avy's site to Turner, and got the thumbs up :thumbsup:

·
Registered
129 Posts
big-ted said:
Depends on the spec of your CCDB. On Turner's 21.6mm shock mounting, Cane Creek will recommend going with the spherical bearing setup, in which case, the Fox hardware is NOT transferable. However, if the shock in question was built with the original intention of being fitted to another bike, with wider mountings, it may indeed have a standard 1/2" eyelet, in which case the hardware is transferable. Post a pic of the shock in question and we could tell you instantly.
Whatcha think?

Attachments

·
Registered
431 Posts
No go. That shock has the spherical bearing setup. Seriously though, the hardware is dead cheap. Contact Malcom at Cane Creek and explain you wand the hardware for the spherical bearing setup to fit a spot. He'll sort you out and, ultimately, you'll end up with the best setup. (No DU bushes to worry about replacing! Yay!)

·
Uit Nederland
342 Posts
Seeing as how I've never owned a fully and never bothered to ask; what's the point/advantage in mounting a shock "upside down" vs. "right side up"?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
fujirider1 said:
Seeing as how I've never owned a fully and never bothered to ask; what's the point/advantage in mounting a shock "upside down" vs. "right side up"?

Thanks
Ease of reaching the adjusters vs frame clearance.

The is no performance difference.

·
Registered
8,278 Posts
big-ted said:
No go. That shock has the spherical bearing setup. Seriously though, the hardware is dead cheap. Contact Malcom at Cane Creek and explain you wand the hardware for the spherical bearing setup to fit a spot. He'll sort you out and, ultimately, you'll end up with the best setup. (No DU bushes to worry about replacing! Yay!)
Yep, I just fitted a CCDB that came with spherical bearings to my ventana...Reducers were ~$30, he threw in new DU bushings.

Darren is great on the CS front.

·
Registered
431 Posts
CharacterZero said:
Yep, I just fitted a CCDB that came with spherical bearings to my ventana...Reducers were ~$30, he threw in new DU bushings.

Darren is great on the CS front.
Again, the CCDB with spherical bearings doesn't use DU bushings. It uses spherical bearings, that require dedicated hardware to fit to the frame. The guys at Cane Creek probably fitted new bearings for you, as they are very quick and willing to do so should it be required.

The spherical bearing setup is fantastic. I can get ~ 18 months out of the rear bearing on my DHR, whereas previously I was going through DU bushes every 6 weeks running the Fox DHX.

·
Registered
8,278 Posts
big-ted said:
Again, the CCDB with spherical bearings doesn't use DU bushings. It uses spherical bearings, that require dedicated hardware to fit to the frame. The guys at Cane Creek probably fitted new bearings for you, as they are very quick and willing to do so should it be required.

The spherical bearing setup is fantastic. I can get ~ 18 months out of the rear bearing on my DHR, whereas previously I was going through DU bushes every 6 weeks running the Fox DHX.
Again, the CCDB that I bought used with spherical bearings installed now has DU bushings.
The spherical bearings were removed from the eyelet and DU bushings were pressed in. Then the reducers were mounted.

I provided the shock information and frame it was being mounted to.
They provided the parts, I provided the service.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts