Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,,,i've been thinking if it's a good move to purchase a coil shock for my 5.5, currently i have a pushed RP3. my heart is leaning towards the Marzocchi Roco TST (Ti spring), is it a good move??? or i just stick with my current shock. i hope you guys can help me decide before i spend again my hard earned dollar for a new shock. my current fork is a Marz All Mountain 1 ('06).

thank you very much in advance.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
schumi said:
Hi guys,,,i've been thinking if it's a good move to purchase a coil shock for my 5.5, currently i have a pushed RP3. my heart is leaning towards the Marzocchi Roco TST (Ti spring), is it a good move??? or i just stick with my current shock. i hope you guys can help me decide before i spend again my hard earned dollar for a new shock. my current fork is a Marz All Mountain 1 ('06).

thank you very much in advance.
What's the shock size for the 5.5? The smallest TST is a 7.875" x 2". I don't think you'll have too much feedback from these shocks as they are not out yet. A pushed fox shock can fetch a good amount of money in the classified.

i heard the wait is pretty long on these TST . lots of preorders already placed, according to go-ride and other shops.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i can get a 7.5"x2" for a Roco TST r. there are bunch of sizes available. i just need to know the spring rate because the shop needs it. btw, mistwo...would you know the right coil # for me, i weigh 190lb. i saw on your post that your next shock target is a Roco TST. let's hope for the best.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
schumi said:
i can get a 7.5"x2" for a Roco TST r. there are bunch of sizes available. i just need to know the spring rate because the shop needs it. btw, mistwo...would you know the right coil # for me, i weigh 190lb. i saw on your post that your next shock target is a Roco TST. let's hope for the best.
good question, i'm guessing Intense would know better about coil spring reqirements for each frame more than Marzocchi. haven't had a chance to call Intense about it for me yet.

try this:

http://www.tftunedshox.com/springcalc.htm

i'm getting a 5th element with 500 lb spring for my 6.6. i'm about 200 lbs total riding weight so i'm going to see if it's enough spring. it will probably be too soft, but i'll have to just ride it to see.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Spring Rate

I have a 04 medium 5.5.
Last year I put a Swinger 6-way on it.
I have tested 500,550& 600 springs.
550 is what the 77kgs of mine ended up with.
38mm springs are the standard for Manitou,Fox (not Vanilla) and Roco

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
BEFE said:
I have a 04 medium 5.5.
Last year I put a Swinger 6-way on it.
I have tested 500,550& 600 springs.
550 is what the 77kgs of mine ended up with.
38mm springs are the standard for Manitou,Fox (not Vanilla) and Roco
wow. i'm guessing 500 will not be enough for my weight. i just stopped eating my leftover superbowl doritos. :madmax:

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
how about a fox coil shock...what's your best recommendation??? should it be a vanilla or a dhx 5.0 coil. is it too heavy and just leave my RP3 alone??? thanks

·
Old school BMXer
2,695 Posts
schumi said:
how about a fox coil shock...what's your best recommendation??? should it be a vanilla or a dhx 5.0 coil. is it too heavy and just leave my RP3 alone??? thanks
The answer to your question is another question. Do you mind hauling around an extra 3/4 pound or so? Too heavy is subjective.

Between the vanilla or dhx, I've used both on different frames, and quite frankly, I don't care - either is fine.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I've just switched to the TST R coil shock with ti spring for my 05 5.5 and it's AWESOME!!!!! Sooooo much better than the air Manatou shock I was running. Defo got with the Mazza.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.