Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recommendations please?

I have read some of the threads regarding this but some conflicting advice.

DT has stated that PUSH do a coil shock with smaller piggy back for clearance.
Im in the UK and would love to maybe try a CCDB.

Any issues?

Thanks in advance guys!

Rick

·
Wicketed
607 Posts
I run a CCDB on a HL Spot and it really is good.
My LBS reckon there is just clearance for a CCDB resevoir on a medium frame (there's a picture of one in the set-ups section on this forum, on a large frame, but the clearance is pretty much the same for a medium i think):

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=478896

·
Registered
432 Posts
Pic from the above link:

Er, that looks pretty tight to me. Bear in mind that bottom-out bumper can compress to about 1/8 of it's uncompressed thickness...

Edit: Seems you've been running this setup a while? No signs of any contact I guess? I'm surprised...

·
Banned
91 Posts
big-ted said:
Edit: Seems you've been running this setup a while? No signs of any contact I guess? I'm surprised...
Not mine, and in the thread from the pic they guy mentioned he was just installing it for the first time. Maybe he'll see this thread and comment on any contact with the frame... I may put a thin layer (1/8") of hd foam just to see if contact is made when I get it out for the first time. Maybe firming up the high speed compression would reduce the chances of compressing the bumper to 1/8 normal size... :confused:

·
carpe mañana
7,307 Posts
I run a CCDB on a DW bike and the performance is fantastic. Just make sure the CCDB you get has the updated poppet needles that have spherical tips; the change came on over a year ago so it's not the latest, but there are quite a few used CCDBs out there that have not been sent in for upgrades.

_MK

·
Registered
122 Posts
idrivefun said:
Not mine, and in the thread from the pic they guy mentioned he was just installing it for the first time. Maybe he'll see this thread and comment on any contact with the frame... I may put a thin layer (1/8") of hd foam just to see if contact is made when I get it out for the first time. Maybe firming up the high speed compression would reduce the chances of compressing the bumper to 1/8 normal size... :confused:
I have had the CCDB on my large DW for 12 months now, and there has been no sign of any contact with the down tube. However, I am running coils for the 'coil' performance, more than the big hit capability. I regularly find the bump stop at the base of the shaft, without ever feeling it bottom out.

No marks here :)

Bicycle part Bicycle accessory Black Pipe Steel

I am sure if you ran low levels of compression on a soft spring and dropped off something big enough to flat the piggyback would touch the down tube. If you managed to do that, I would expect that the loading into the rockers, pivots, swing arm and bolts, would be pretty much at the maximum, so while you put a nick in the downtube, something else may have been damaged in the process.

·
Banned
91 Posts
I ran the RP23 for 6 months before going to the CCDB. I shimmed the RP23 as I was bottoming out on it, and after the shim it was nice. I have only ridden a few rides with the CCDB and I have noticed less pedal bob when sitting and when I stand and mash. I have low speed compression adjusted to be a little stiffer than stock, but it still feels as good, maybe better than the RP. As for the bigger stuff i.e. small to mid jumps, rocks, chunky rock gardens etc... the CCDB is WAY smoother... Only drawback is weight... the coil alone is almost twice the weight of the RP!

·
Registered
999 Posts
idrivefun said:
I ran the RP23 for 6 months before going to the CCDB. I shimmed the RP23 as I was bottoming out on it, and after the shim it was nice. I have only ridden a few rides with the CCDB and I have noticed less pedal bob when sitting and when I stand and mash. I have low speed compression adjusted to be a little stiffer than stock, but it still feels as good, maybe better than the RP. As for the bigger stuff i.e. small to mid jumps, rocks, chunky rock gardens etc... the CCDB is WAY smoother... Only drawback is weight... the coil alone is almost twice the weight of the RP!
Thanks for the feedback - the CCDB sounds like it might be worth trying. I am suffering from upgraditis - I am thinking it might be time to try the CCDB with a Ti spring. I would agree the weight of the shock is a drawback.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I am in a similiar situation to you, I'm just about to pull the trigger on the coil option for my d dub spot.

Another option to consider is a MX Tuned Vanilla R/DHX Coil shock. From all accounts from the guys on this forum its the bee's knee's.

Not sure how it compares to the CCDB performance wise but weight wise, I read someones post (sorry cant remember who it was) who said that a MX Tune with a Ti coil is only slightly heavier than a RP23.

Anyone care to comment on MX Tune vs CCDB for DW Spot?

·
bump and grind
707 Posts
Has anyone tried and cleared a Fox DHX RC4 on the Spot? I noted that the RC4 has a fatter and longer piggyback than the plain DHX.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.