Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This looks OK to me, but I'm not an expert. What do you all think? The spring is removed, and the shock bottomed out. The bumper is 4mm. Even assuming that got squashed to 0mm, there would be at least 9-10mm clearance. The reservoir travels straight down basically as the shock compresses. If anything, at the very bottom of the stroke, the shock and thus the reservoir begins to pivot horizontally away from the frame, given the way the linkages work.

So just a little background. The bike is a Pivot Switchblade V2 in medium. I bought the shock because my DPX2 went in for warranty and some upgrade work and it was going to take a while. Fox still has the shock because of parts issues. AFTER I bought the EXT, Pivot's FAQ section for the Switchblade was edited and the EXT was identified as NOT clearing the frame. That was not the case when I bought it, it was added later. Well mine sure seems to clear fine. I've inquired with Pivot about this, but they wanted to talk to their engineers and that was almost three weeks ago. The folks at the U.S. distributor for EXT thinks Pivot is likely wrong and its fine. They think it may be a frame size specific issue, so maybe it doesn't work with an XS or small frame. In fact, one of the guys at the US EXT distributor has a Switchblade V2 with this shock and has had no clearance issues, but his is a large. I haven't ridden my bike since this issue arose, but I rode it 3-4 times before finding out about this issue and did a few maybe 8 foot drops.

Friday I'm going to the bike park with my son (first time in a while due to COVID and other things) and would rather not take my hardtail (which is what I've been riding while Pivot investigates this).

So - how exactly is this shock going to hit the frame? Could the frame flex or something? I just don't see it, but I'm not an expert. Thanks for any advice.

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
8,323 Posts
if it is bottomed in the pics

and the spring is not going to hit the frame, that shock ain't gonna hit it
unless the can rotates toward the downtube as the rear end cycles

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
17,955 Posts
Personally I don't see how the shock could make contact with the frame based on your photos and what you've said. If it was my bike, I'd risk it. And when I say "risk it," I don't mean to imply there's much risk. As I already mentioned, I don't see how it could make contact whatsoever.

Did you sit on the bike & bounce the shock w/o spring to see what the bumper did?
=sParty

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.