Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking for some feedback on coil shock options. The float on my el salt has been trouble-free for 2+ years and still works well, but I'm looking for something a little more plush w/ bomber construction. I'm 215 lbs, don't really care about the extra weight or reducing bob/ having a stable platform, so getting my float Pushed doesn't sound like the solution I'm after. I'm looking to match the rear to a vanilla 125 up front

On their website, Romic says a manufacturing problem was responsible for the oil leakage problems that are so often read about in mtbr. Does that mean the new Romics don't have issues? Does Progressive make a 2" stroke 5th element coil that will fit the 7.875 i2i x of my 3-4-5 inch rocker? Anybody have experience using one?

Thanks much
Nat

·
Registered
471 Posts
Spun,
The best option at the moment is to find a used van rc in that i2i and stroke ( a pain in the arse, I know), and send it to push. I did this for my x5 and it absolutely rocks, plus no worries about leakage. ;) I had a romic and that's all it did. The benefits of the push mod are far greater than pedaling platform. Plus, it all cost me less than 300 bucks total. It took me about two weeks to find a used van rc by looking on ebay and the classifieds here.

Oh, also I have heard good things about manitou swinger coil shocks. I believe you have to get the 3-way, cause the 4-way and up? have knob clearance issues. -t

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
toad said:
Spun,
The best option at the moment is to find a used van rc in that i2i and stroke ( a pain in the arse, I know), and send it to push. I did this for my x5 and it absolutely rocks, plus no worries about leakage. ;) I had a romic and that's all it did. The benefits of the push mod are far greater than pedaling platform. Plus, it all cost me less than 300 bucks total. It took me about two weeks to find a used van rc by looking on ebay and the classifieds here.

Oh, also I have heard good things about manitou swinger coil shocks. I believe you have to get the 3-way, cause the 4-way and up? have knob clearance issues. -t
Toad, thanks for the info.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
agree on push mods

I recently did the PUSH mod on the Float on my Salty & am very pleased.

As was mentioned in the other post, you aren't just getting a platform mod with PUSH. I find that both of my PUSHed shocks (I also have a PUSHed Vanilla RC on another bike) keep the rear glued to the ground better than any other shocks I have ridden.

I would say try out the PUSH mod on your Float before you spend cash on a coil shock. See how you like it. I'm betting that you will like it enough to forget about buying another shock for a while.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
another PUSH reveiw

AOK said:
I recently did the PUSH mod on the Float on my Salty & am very pleased.

As was mentioned in the other post, you aren't just getting a platform mod with PUSH. I find that both of my PUSHed shocks (I also have a PUSHed Vanilla RC on another bike) keep the rear glued to the ground better than any other shocks I have ridden.

I would say try out the PUSH mod on your Float before you spend cash on a coil shock. See how you like it. I'm betting that you will like it enough to forget about buying another shock for a while.
Got my PUSHed float back yesterday just in time to squeeze in a ride before dark. Exactly a one week turn around. I must say it's sweet. Right away,climbing seemed more efficient--I never really thought it was lacking before. Now there's an obvious resistance to movement, but not locked out or harsh feeling. After some air pressure adjustments,(had to drop about 5-10lbs of pressure from my pre-PUSH level to get it to feel right descending. Also like the feel of less rebound dampening--about 1-2 clicks from full fast)

Mostly, I found myself pedaling rolling sections of trail at higher speeds. My 5 inch Salty just seems to accelerate out of every undulation in terrain with a more "spring-like" feel, which is exactly what I wanted. One thing I did notice after the ride was a thin coat of oil on the shock piston. Hope that's normal.

Thanks Toad and AOK for your recomendations this forum.
Cheers

·