Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 04 Specialized FSR XC with a stock coil over rear shock. How can I adjust this shock for optimum effectiveness? I'm sure many of you are going to say get rid of that shock and get a FOX float or vanilla and I'm going to upgrad one day I'm just on a tight budget. Thanks for helping out in advance!

Respectfully,

Malariavalley

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
Is this on a blue XC?

malariavalley said:
I have a 04 Specialized FSR XC with a stock coil over rear shock. How can I adjust this shock for optimum effectiveness? I'm sure many of you are going to say get rid of that shock and get a FOX float or vanilla and I'm going to upgrad one day I'm just on a tight budget. Thanks for helping out in advance!

Respectfully,

Malariavalley
The $800 or so model? If it is and that is the no-name rear shock, then there's not much to do with it. I'm trying to recall if that one had an external rebound adjustment. Making sure the spring rate suits your weight and riding style is about the only other adjustment.

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
I like the way a coil shock feels, at least you should be able to get full travel out of your FSR, when those of us with air shocks can't.

Right, just set preload for 20-25% sag (the bumpstop on a coil shock can usually be slid up the shock shaft and used as a travel/sag indicator), and if rebound is adjustable like TNC says, adjust that so it won't kick back too much on fast bumps.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.