Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if anyone has tried this or had found a coil shock that will fit. Posting in new thread so as not to highjack the current Ransom thread with some valuable info in it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi,

First post on site. I have an XL ransom 910. I have a metric trunnion fox DHX2 with it setup 205*65 and currently using a 450lb spring for 198lb rider. I did like the standard shock but had a coil on my last bike. The bike has supple suspension for small bumps but also takes big hits without blowing through the travel. With AXS and getting ride of the twinlock the setup is much neater and I only have to worry about moving gears and the dropper. I do not have a lockout lever on the DHX2 but don't feel I need it. Standard ride in Wollongong Australia usually involves between 600- 1200m of climbing. Minimal bob.

Overall very pleased with the Ransom. Last bike was a Giant Reign with a coil. Loved the bike but like the Ransom more.

Attachments

·
Registered
497 Posts
Hi,

First post on site. I have an XL ransom 910. I have a metric trunnion fox DHX2 with it setup 205*65 and currently using a 450lb spring for 198lb rider. I did like the standard shock but had a coil on my last bike. The bike has supple suspension for small bumps but also takes big hits without blowing through the travel. With AXS and getting ride of the twinlock the setup is much neater and I only have to worry about moving gears and the dropper. I do not have a lockout lever on the DHX2 but don't feel I need it. Standard ride in Wollongong Australia usually involves between 600- 1200m of climbing. Minimal bob.

Overall very pleased with the Ransom. Last bike was a Giant Reign with a coil. Loved the bike but like the Ransom more.
That's awesome! I've been really happy with the stock rear shock but that thing must be a monster now! How does it compare to the original?

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
The Marzocchi Bomber CR also comes in a 205*65 trunion mount.
While this is a lower end shock without all the fancy adjustments, its the recommended coil shock for tuning by Avalanche racing due to its shaft size and robust internals. I have talked with Craig about tuning this for the Ransom and sent him the leverage curve of the bike. He agrees a coil should work although he thinks it will need one of his more sophisticated progressive bump stops as the leverage curve is pretty linear.

RansomStu are you happy with the mid-stroke support of the coil ? I actually find the stock shock just a bit too compliant and wish I could dial in a little more low speed compression and add "a token" to it. That's my primary concern with putting a coil on it is that without good shock tuning it might be a bit wallowy in the mid stroke. I also do a lot of big epic backcountry climbing days so I like a bit of support.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I find the coil works very well for the Ransom. The DHX2 seems to have excellent support when climbing and descending with the fox recommended settings. You could use a progressive spring if this was a concern. I have found the standard linear spring is excellent. It was a custom setup of a fox metric shock, but not specifically tuned to the ransom. It is definitely not wallowy with standard tuning suggestions and with the DHX2 you can add more low speed compression. Also, you can increase the high speed compression if you are blowing through the travel. I have not had either of these issues. I did try a 425 spring and did find this too soft for 198lb.

If you are constantly tinkering the downside is that standard tools will not work without taking the shock out to adjust the compression settings. I have considered making a shorter Allen key to fix this, but have not tried it.

I am not an engineer, but the feel of the leverage curve seems to have a progressive nature and with a 30% sag, I am not having problems with hard bottom outs whilst jumping or descending downhill tracks. Anecdotally, I found with the standard shock, I was using much lower pressures to achieve full travel than my Reign, which used the same size air shock. This suggests some progression.

I think the main benefit of the coil is that once you find the right spring rate you can almost set and forget and just ride the bike. No more worrying about spacers, air pressure, altitude and air seals.

Is it better than the standard shock? It is heavier, but I think for the reasons above better.
I think it removes a lot of variables and lets you just concentrate on riding. The traction and simplicity once set up are significant benefits.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Öhlins TTX22M on my tuned 900 large

Orange Synthetic rubber Tread Tool Machine

TTX22M Öhlins specifically made for the Ransom from the Italian distributor. Tuned in for my weight and riding style. 5 minutes job to change the shock and enter a different world of riding.
Weight penalty is just 300g. It climbs like heaven and says high in its travel. Very composed feel going down.

·
Registered
35 Posts
View attachment 1265603

TTX22M Öhlins specifically made for the Ransom from the Italian distributor. Tuned in for my weight and riding style. 5 minutes job to change the shock and enter a different world of riding.
Weight penalty is just 300g. It climbs like heaven and says high in its travel. Very composed feel going down.
Hi! do you know if the "standard" TTX22M coil is compatible w/ the ramsom?

Thanks

·
Registered
108 Posts
This ölins ttx has a special head so the controls are all accessible. Stardard dial would be covered. Whether they have added extra progression I cannot tell. Air has more end progression but mine had great progression and mid stroke support

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
leverage ratio is not optimal for coil according to most suspension companies. Doesn't mean it won't work but an air shock will work better.
If you call Craig at Avalanche, he has a solid work around. He completely retunes the Marzocchi Bomber CR. I have upgraded bumper, spring, and the internals are reworked. It works great! I could not tune out blowing through all of the travel without either being in the "traction mode" or airing up the shock and loosing some of the magic that the Nude shock offered. But........as you know.....nothing is normal for my size, but the Avy tuned Coil gives me all of what I was looking for. :)

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Yes Craig will set you up right. I actually measured the leverage ratio and came up with the following (note first measurement is in inches)

Anyway here is the leverage curve as I measured it (missing the last 5mm of travel)
(all measurements in inches and I dont know why the forum removed all my spaces)
Note this is a direct measurment, lifting the rear wheel off the ground and measure the actual shock eye distance. I performed this 3 times so measurements are pretty exact although eye to eye was with a tape measure so hard to be more accurate than 1/16".

Wheel travel, shock travel, Leverage ratio
0 0
0.5 .156 3.2
1 .156 3.2
1.5 .156 3.2
2 .188 2.7
2.5 .188 2.7
3 .188 2.7
3.5 .188 2.7
4. .188 2.7
4.5 .188 2.7
5 .188 2.7
5.5 .25 2
6 .219 2.23
6.5 .188 2.7

Fairly linear with a little progression then regression at the very end.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
So I take it all back... I got a chance to ride a Ransom today with a modified frame and a stock Fox DHX2. Plenty of mid stroke support! I'm still a little torn on the idea with the Ransom being so light with an air shock though... I kind of don't want to ruin that.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Mod frame? that sound interesting
to keep the climb switch I believe he enlarged the hole with the rubber gromet at the top of the bottom bracket. Didn't look like it needed a lot but in stock form I think it would have rubbed enough when flexing that it could have been an issue. I doubt making that hole a hair bigger is an issue.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hi guys,

I am riding a MY21 Ransom 920 and I am considering the coil shock option.

what is your feedback on big hits/landings/bottom outs with the coil shocks? (All others VS EXT V3 with hydraulic bottom out control)

I am specifically interested in freedback on this topic because of the more linear spring rate. To be fair, the air spring on the standard shock feels ok and I even use the twinloc lever but I feel the shock misses by lacking at least some degree of compression ajustment.

Using around 30% sag the bike felt good on rough descents where pedalling wasn't required, sensitive off the top and never bottomed out but it seemed to lack a bit of LSC and wallowed a bit when hitting berms and flatter section turns. I mean, I felt it needed a bit mode support from LSC to help maintain chassis stability.
Having no other shock to test and because this bike didn't have the lever at the shock to change between progressive/linear spring rate I removed two of the yellow spacers (positive air chamber) to make it more linear. This has improved chassis stability by providing more mid travel support. The more linear feel also seemed to help with repetitive mid sized hits as the bike seemed to hang a bit less. Aditionally, having it a bit more linear made the rebound feel more balanced between big/end stroke and small mid stroke hits but in the end the shock still feels like an underdamped XC shock (which it is) and I think the bike has much more potencial.

Looking at the options (in Portugal) I thought a DHX2 would be the best option:
++ price
++ availability
++ Fox service works well in Portugal
-- I would probably have to make some (special shortened hex) tools in order to reach the compression ajusters without removing the shock on the trail.

At this point I had looked at the EXT V3:
++ Mostly very good feedback,
++ Hydraulic BottomOut control
++ the ajusters are better placed for this frame
-- more expensive
-- the prospect of the possibility of having the tune too far off at at first (happened for some people)
-+ some people complain the bottom out bumber rattled (on the ransom as the shock is turned up side down the bumper and plastic washer really needs to stay put on top)
-+ still have to find out about who services these in my area,

Then the cleared up a new trail which has a decent road gap and while riding it for the first time I was in too slow, landed a bit short and hit bottom out really harshly. This got me rethinking the importance of the bottom out control feature on the EXT..

what do you guys think?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.