Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
Every coil shock equipped XCE owner is effectively a Burner owner running a coil. The two bikes are functionally equivalent. Most have either a Romic or a Vanilla RC. Mine has the Vanilla and compared to a Swinger, it shows its lack of dampening sophistication through wallow and an overly progressive feel. The Romic would be nicer (that's whats on my SPot), but based on my limited experience with a 3-Way Air on my Spot, I think the Swinger may be even better as long as you aren't after a really firm platform. I liked the Romic's seamless and effective platform better, I liked the Swingers overall compression dampening when active better.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Burner vs. xce

Great information, I didn't realize that the Burner and the XCE had the same rear end. Are they both 3.6 inches of rear travel? If so the apparent difference is the bottom bracket of the XCE is more like the 5 spot and the Burner is a less complicated (cheaper version). I am delighted that you like the Manitou 3 Way that much. I know that 'Derby' has been very complimentary as well.
But ultimately I would like a coil and maybe even a pushed shock at that.

Cheers,

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
The Burner and XCE do share the same rear linkage. The XCE simply uses a Vanilla shock with a 0.25" longer stroke to eek another 0.4" of travel out, for a full 4" . The Romic equipped XCEs use longer rockers to get to 4". The XCE does have the machined bb/main pivot/lower shock mount like the Spot.

The SPV implementation in the Swingers seems to be similar across the air and coil shock lines. If you like your Swinger air, grab a Swinger coil. They use the same size eyelets and it is nice having shocks which can swap wear-prone bits (like Fox and Romics). The one drawback I see to coil SPV shocks or forks is that SPV pressure seems to affect spring rate noticeably (in the forks, anyway). That means that if you want to increase SPV pressure, you may have to lower the main shock pressure or you will end up with too little sag/too stiff a shock. With a coil, that means perhaps having to switch springs. With an air shock, it just means playing with the pump. Something to consider.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.