Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd love to hear from the coil suspension crowd about what bikes work well with coils. A 140-150mm 2.6" tire 29er is preferred with a steepish STA, Ripmo or Fezzari La Sal - ish.

The goal is to smooth out chattery rocky trails for my aging bones rather than bike parking. The leverage curves I've found are limited, with the Instinct BC having the most progressive response. Compatibility with CCDB IL coil with SLS spring is also desired (lightweight).

Please share, thanks!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Running an Evil Offering with coils front and rear and really like it. 2.6 would be a squeeze though but a 2.5 runs fine. As Stripes said, the GG bikes are pretty nice and reasonably priced as well. Just a bit tougher to get right now. Yeti SB150 and the Commencal Meta AM 29 are good with coils also.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Have an Offering with a coil and it’s a great bike. Definitely no on the 2.6 though. The DELTA suspension is nice and plush when you want it to be and firm when you pedal.

The latest Stumpjumper sounds like it would work too.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks like a medium Offering may be a better fit, I'm 5-9", no shoes and usually between sizes. The delta suspension with RWC needle bearing kit may be the ultimate coil suspension. There was a review about the Giant Rein where the benefits of the bearings with coil shock were pointed out.

Thanks everyone for helping out!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cane Creek says SJ doesn't work with DB Inline from the side loads. Doesn't absolutely have to be the Inline with SLS spring but weight does matter.

Jeffsy looks promising especially with pricing. I'm warming up to direct to consumer. Many good updates for 2019. Thank you.

·
Registered
177 Posts
You’re in luck that the Offering has a trunnion mount shock so the top already rides on bearings. Very little movement at the bottom mount so wouldn’t be worth it to install needle bearings there.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ferrazi should be sending out some info on how progressive the La Sal is. It's affordable, customizable with coil front and rear and allows 2.6" tires.

The Offering with Push ElevenSix premium suspension may offset the 2.4" tire limit but I'm not even going to add those $$$ up.

I was leaning Jeffsy, but YT got back with a 2.4" tire limit. Smash is supposed to have additional tire clearance for 2019.

Really like the knolly suspension except the superboost and aluminum frame only. Must be 32+ lb. ,as I look at my mid section:)

Does a progressive trunion mount shock, carbon frame, non-superboost 2.6 tire, 140-150mm bike exist? I'm leaning La Sal or Smash.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.