Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
8,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
PIck one @ 140 mm. Tell me why.

Thanks!

Note: These two were chosen because (today at least) I could actually purchase one. And with the CC, I do mean one.

· Registered
362 Posts
PIck one @ 140 mm. Tell me why.

Thanks!

Note: These two were chosen because (today at least) I could actually purchase one. And with the CC, I do mean one.
I'd go cane creek. I've ridden a ribbon coil and a mk1 helm air and coil. The adjustments on the helm were much more usable, and the fork had much much less stiction than the ribbon

· Registered
7,316 Posts
I have heard terrible things about the MRP Ribbon feeling like crap, harsh, flexible, etc.
Every time I read something like this, I have to wonder if it's a set up issue. I've been on coil forks exclusively for almost 25 years and don't have a single gripe about my Ribbon coil. It rides like butter.

· Registered
117 Posts
"I've heard" is analogous to "I have no idea what I'm talking about here but I like the sound of my own voice, or in this case, the sound of my own typing"

· Registered
229 Posts
Cane Creek is the easiest fork to service I have ever had, they have the walkthrough videos on the website. I personally attest to this. Close second is the fox grip system.

This said, I dont have the coil, I have the mkii air, I love the fork. For reference I have a fox 34 factory and a fox 36 factory on my two other bikes.

I ride the cane creek and fox 36 at killington regularly.

only issue I have with the cane creek is that the finish is wearing on the legs and crown, not a big deal.

Neither because neither company will release service documents or service kits for the home mechanic.

If that doesn't matter for you then I'd choose Cane Creek. I have heard terrible things about the MRP Ribbon feeling like crap, harsh, flexible, etc.

· Nurse Ben
11,633 Posts
Cane Creek is a return to sender for damper service, not sure about MRP.

I had the first gen Ribbon Coil andi was not enamored with the damping, support the Chocolux is better.

I had the current CC Coil and I liked it, but it was still not great, sold it before it needed damper service.

I’d get a Fox 36 or BomberZ1 and add a Smashpot. You could do the same with a Lyric or Pike, but then you have a shitty damper that needs replacing 😆

· Read Only
2,101 Posts
Every time I read something like this, I have to wonder if it's a set up issue. I've been on coil forks exclusively for almost 25 years and don't have a single gripe about my Ribbon coil. It rides like butter.
They have a pretty wide variation of bushing clearance, the early ones were usually super tight but the newer ones I have seen are definitely improved. That can make a bigger difference than any damper for sure

· Registered
8,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Thanks for all the replies. I went with the Cane Creek because they replied almost instantly to my questions and MRP has yet to respond (which seems odd, since Noah is often all over these boards).

Also, it will come in time for the weekend. :)

Also, also, a long time ago, in a place far, far away, I had an OG Turner RFX with CC Double Barrel Coil. At the time, it was a mind-bending performance upgrade.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.