Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
long time lurker first time poster.
I have a Fox vanilla that I have been struggling with to be able to get full travel. Recently I have been playing with oil levels in the right hand side of the fork. I went from 160 to 155 to 150 cc. After playing around a bit I decided on staying back at 160cc. During this whole process i never rode the bike, i was just taking static sag measurements. In the process of taking sag measurements I found out that my shock is not returning to its full extension. After getting on/off the bike i can actually pull on the crown gently and get about 0.2" of stanchion movement. I went out and rode the bike and didnt notice anything wrong, but the problem still persists. After a ride the hidden travel is almost immeasurable ~1/16" and it seems that pushing slowly (like weighting it for sag) causes there to be about 1/4" travel that does not return unless i pull.

The seals/oil are about 300 miles old and i have tried the next lowest spring. lower spring rate = more stanchion that does not return. I called fox but they had no clue what was going on.

Any ideas as to whats going on? Any experiences? I dont want to re-do the seals and oil only to find out its another issue all together.

·
www.derbyrims.com
6,766 Posts
Friction. Especially if the bike’s been sitting for a day or more drying the oil film off the stansions. Also any coil fork or shock needs at least a little preload. Crank 1/2 turn more and you'll get your .2 lost top travel. You can add shims if you are at max preload already (quarters probably work.). It takes about 1000 miles to really break in new seals.

It's not a big deal; I've tried many and very few forks utilize more than 85% full travel without very extreme use. Just adjust towards getting the head height, travel, and sag that balances the handling.

Fox recommends coil weights (and air pressures) for the most extreme rider use. Most riders go down one, maybe two coil spring weights to recommended, I went down 3 for the cush ride I like and still never bottomed my Vanilla fork without a big mistakes and landing a jump fork first.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the response, Duly.
I do ride with some amount of preload but i'll chalk it up to seal friction. 1000 miles at 10 mph average give me 100 hours of riding before I'm fully broken in.
Can you give me your weight and spring so i can properly choose a new spring?
thanks

·
www.derbyrims.com
6,766 Posts
nylomd said:
Can you give me your weight and spring so i can properly choose a new spring?
thanks
Spring choice is really individual. Going up or down one spring firmness option is quite noticable in handling difference. I think many riders of the Fox 32 Vanillas are riding 1 spring lighter than Fox recommends. You'll have to experiment for yourself.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.