Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Double-metric mtb man
4,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Looking at putting a coil on the back of my DT (DHX 5 Air right now). I've got it narrowed down to three at the moment due to budget and I'd like some feedback about the possible choices. I know I need the 8.5x2.5 shock with a 550 lb spring (I'm ~250# with all my gear and armor) so please give me your thoughts (or horror stories) about the following:

Fox Van RC
RS Vivid R2C
Marz Roco TST WC

Thanks gang :)

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
If you are on a budget look at the DSP Racing Dueler. $395 with a Ti spring, you have to grind a little bit of the eyelet material off to make it fit the front mount on a DT. PM if your interested, right now you have to buy direct. I also have a Vivid w/ 500 lb spring I could sell you, lightly used.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I bought an Xfusion Vector HLR (an older one) from Dusty for my Delerium 2 and I'm very happy with it. Unlike the RC4 on my Podium, the LSC and HSC on the Vector actually do something when you turn them. You also don't need an allen key to adjust them. I also used to have a DHX Air.

·
Registered
3 Posts
On my first DT (which was stolen unfortunately :( ) I had the RS Vivid 5.1 and all I can say is that it was a piece of ****. The shock wasn't really willing to go into travel and the rebound was really slow despite being set to minimum..

The DT I bought afterwards had DHX air. Last week It started to lose pressure so I had to send it to service centre to have the seals replaced.
Anyway, previous weekend my friend who owns a DT was kind to lend me the RC4 with a titanium coil. After two days of bikeparks and some rough all-mountain / enduro riding I've decided to get my own RC4.. There's such a big difference that i'm wondering how i could've ridden the DHX air for so long..
... my recommendation would be RC4 (although it's not on your list)

·
Bnerd
1,078 Posts
I had a Fox DHX5 coil with a 550# coil on my DT. I'm 245ish#.
I know that isn't on your list but I'll give you my thoughts for whatever they're worth!

I had no issues in the time that I was on both the DT and the shock (a season and a half - bike park time included). The compression and rebound were easy to setup and worked well the entire time. I've never been on an air shock so I have no comparison.

I'm now on a Delirium and the Fox RC4 and there is a noticeable difference from the DHX5. I can fine tune the compression better.

I have been on a Rocco WC but it was on a different bike with a different suspension. IMO it sucks! That's even after several different versions of the bike and shock through the years. Again, this is just my experience with the Rocco.
Marz makes great forks(minus the fiasco of a couple of years ago!) but their rear suspension doesn't come close to being good!

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
Had the CCDB on my DT and moved it over to the Delirium. Fantastic shock. Very tunable, plush, reliable. Only downsides would be it's probably the heaviest of the shocks and there is no Propedal lever for climbing fire roads and such.

I had the RS Vivid 5.1 on my Delirium briefly. It was alright. Very minimal useful tuning settings on that shock.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have used the following coil shocks on my '08 DT. Here are my conclusions:

Marzocchi TST-R: Originally with frame. Never got it to work the way I wanted too, too soft and springy in open position, too stiff in any of the platform settings. Bumped and skidded, did not maintain connected with the trail. This regardless of which spring I used. Then broke only 3 months old. Got it repaired by a certified service centre, then broke again shortly afterwards. Piece of **** in my opinion.

Fox DHX5 w/ Push trail tune (used). Very good for trail and all-mountain use, maintains good contact with the terrain, efficient uphill with pro-pedal on, then propedal off for downhilling. Works a charm. However, last year I started using the DT for lift-assisted DH runs, and I could not get the plushness I wanted.

Elka Stage 5: Have been running it the whole season. Incredible plushness, have really taken my lift-assisted DH runs to a new level. Plush and perfectly balanced in high speeds. However, I have not made it work properly for all-around trail and AM use, no matter how much I adjusted LSC and preload it still bounces too much.

So for now I have decided to keep both the Elka and the Fox, using the Elka for DH and the Fox for trail/AM. Hope this advice helps, and of course these views are highly personal based on my experiences of riding in wet terrain here in Norway.

·
Double-metric mtb man
4,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The CCDB and RC4 were being considered until I found out the book value on them to get 'em new up here...RC4 and a DHX Air with Kash are ~$900 and the CCDB is in almost the same range.

The other three are all lower cost and (supposedly) about the same in features. Right now it sounds like the Marz isn't really worth looking at and that there are some other options to consider too.

Keep the info coming folks...this is exactly the type of feedback I need :)

·
going for a ride
581 Posts
The CCDB and RC4 were being considered until I found out the book value on them to get 'em new up here...RC4 and a DHX Air with Kash are ~$900 and the CCDB is in almost the same range.

The other three are all lower cost and (supposedly) about the same in features. Right now it sounds like the Marz isn't really worth looking at and that there are some other options to consider too.

Keep the info coming folks...this is exactly the type of feedback I need :)
Used dhx 5 are pretty cheap. They're pretty reliable. If you don't want to spend too much on a new shock, consider the DSP Dueler which comes with a ti spring or Elka stage 5. I'm very happy with a stage5 on my vtach. When I get back to my DT, I'll get a Dueler for it cause they're really reasonably priced.

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
I had a little problem with the first one I got, it was leaking oil from the compression adjust knob. They sent me a new one after I sent the leaking one back. I've been testing/giving feedback on it to them. The orignal US distributor is no longer in the picture and they are being sold by DSP in the Virgin Islands. They are made in Taiwan (like most shocks), they have a new Ti spring supplier:
I CHU SPRING I CHU titanium springs
As far as the shock goes, very supple. Not a shock if you are going to pedal, it is very free flowing. Much better then my previous Vivid and DHX 5. The thing stays glued to the ground and all the adjustments actually make a very noticeable difference. The only issue I had is the eyelet needs to be ground down a little to fit in a knolly frame as it will rub on the front mount. I cant compare it to a CCDB or RC4 as I've never ridden either but tis the best shock I've ridden to date.

·
Double-metric mtb man
4,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Not to pry too much, Craigstr, but what do you weigh?

I'm in a more pedally environment (I kinda like the propedal on the DHXa for it when doing the RIde to Conquer Cancer)...just because I like to ride the 10-15 km round trip to the local river valley trail accesses. I know I'll likely lose the propdal on the coil (at least for my price range) but I think the trail riding will be a bit nicer for it. Maybe I'll keep the air for doing the Ride and use the coil for everything else :)

·
Roll on Spring Time!
1,547 Posts
Cant comment on a standard Vivid but I had mine sent to push while waiting for the first batch of deleriums to be shipped. I cant compare to anything else on the Delerium but it seems amazing to me. Push will set it up for you so I believe the LSC will just be for tweaking. I havent touched HSR and the LSR works with each click making a nice gradual change. Loving my Pushed Vivid and I believe they can be picked up on sales etc. over a year of hard use and still smoove, no leaks no issues.

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
I think my DHX-Air was nearly as good as the DHX 5.0 coil I have on there now. It did wallow a bit in the mid stroke but not bad and I think it felt nearly as plush on small bump compliance and more active on fast, choppy stuff. Maybe a bit harder to control bottom out on the DHX-Air.

I'm looking for some (relatively) inexpensive fixes too. Interested in the MX Tune from Push but it's perpetually out of stock. Avalanche has developed something similar but won't produce it without some pre-orders. Maybe the regular Push factory tune would give the improvements I want.

I rode an Elka Stage 5 at I-bike a couple years ago on a Demo 8 and really liked it. I think they're not too expensive either IIRC.

Have you looked into the shock demo program at Go-Ride? Looks like a good way to try out a few different options.

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
Hey Mike. Not sure how much you weigh, but if you're in the 175 lbs range this 8.5 x 2.5Van R with PUSH MX tune just popped up on the mtbr classifieds the other day. (Not mine)

I was about to jump on it myself but am low on bike funds and long on needs right now so decided to pass.

·
Perpetual Hack
2,194 Posts
Mike

I too gasped when I got the retail in Kanukistan for a CCDB.
I then got a price and ordered one from Chad at Redbarn.
Was several hundered cheaper than local....

just a thought...

michael

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.