Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 162 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else have a passion for caffine? I know I can't start my day without a cup and was pretty excited to learn that my LBS recently started selling Barrett's Coffee which is locally roasted here in town by some of the local mountain bikers that frequent the shop. I found it awkward explaining to friends why I needed to go to a bike shop to buy coffee but once they tried it they understood. I usually try to buy bags on Monday as they seem to be roasted/delivered on Thursday or Fridays and "peak" early the next week. Anyways on to the review:

Ground: semi-coarse (used cheap cuisinart coffee grinder)
Brewing: French Press
Similar products tried: Anderson's (Eithiopian, New Guinea, African), Summer Moon, Rutamaya, Illy, and various HEB brand coffee beans

Recently finished a one pound bag of Barrett's Black Velvet Coffee that I picked up from Hammerhead Bicycles last week. I'm not a coffee snob (yet) nor do I know all the intricacies of brewing/grinding/roasting coffee, I'm just a guy who drinks coffee and likes what he likes.

That being said I'm really enjoyed the Black Velvet. It had a really subtle mocha(ish) but rich flavor and is amazingly smooth, quite possibly the smoothest coffees that I've tried to date. I like my coffee black and can usually taste the acidity but that is pretty much gone from this particular brew virtually no "bite". It's still the first cup but I think I'm really going to like finishing this bag off and trying another.

I've currently got a bag of their Billy Goat Porter which so far seems to have more of a traditional "coffee" taste but is equally as smooth.

·
HTFU and Ride
1,216 Posts
sweet! i wish i had a bike shop/roaster/coffee shop near by

my passion is espresso :thumbsup: i like brewed coffee (french press especially) but i LOVE my shots.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
i miss being in Denver mere blocks away from Pablos coffee www.pabloscoffee.com where they roast all their beans in store. my friend just sent me a pound of their Danger Monkey blend (my favorite coffee in the world) and I had to make myself a pot tonight while watching basketball. such a smooth coffee. its amazing how fresh and smooth it tastes compared to Starbucks beans. Just opening the bag of the freshly roasted coffee, the beans look wetter than the Starbucks beans. I just wish I could afford to mailorder myself a pound every 2 weeks.

·
ENDO!!!
703 Posts
I remember hitting up a shop like that in Louisville, ahd a coffee/sandwhich shop in it... really cool vibe there, couldnt find it again if I tried I imagine... was at Ft Knox for BNCOC and found it by accident

·
Registered
380 Posts
I love coffee but unfortunately recent doctors orders have forced me to cut back my daily intake of caffeine. So now I drink more decaf than regular. But I still love the taste of coffee! www.nicholascoffee.net is my favorite local roaster. I am there 5 days per week!

·
Really I am that slow
3,778 Posts
The black goodness!

My favorete beans are Copper Door. Sinjin roasts very small batches at a time haven't had a bad bean from him yet!

2nd fav is cafe ibis outa park city i think its the bean we use at the bike shop i work at. we have an ojstoria espresso machine that i've been honing my coffee squeezing skills

and i am drinking an americinno right now:thumbsup:

·
Registered
234 Posts
I find a strange connection between biking and coffee. I buy pretty much all my coffee from a local roaster- Coal Creek Coffee (edgycoffee.com). Not sure why, but I hate to drive there. I prefer to run all my errands by bike when I can, but I find myself always trying to do that one by bike, no matter the weather.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I love coffee too. However, I love it's effects even more. Unfortunately the effects diminish as you become less sensitive to caffeine over time. I only drink it if I feel I can utilize it's benefits. If it's really busy at work or I'm going on a long ride I'll drink some coffee. When I'm riding I use espresso flavored Gu. I'm not sure how much caffeine they have but I like em.

The effects of caffeine are numerous. Can anyone elaborate on these effects regarding cycling? I've read a bunch of stuff in Dave Morris's Performance Cycling. Basically he says it doesn't increase you max. power output but it will extend your endurance.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
The LBS in my town is also the best coffee bar as well (and with 15000 people, somehow we score 5 coffee houses...I guess we are a pretty wired town) They have a double ready to go for you before you hit the door for a ride. Love it!

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
wahunterinrok said:
I remember hitting up a shop like that in Louisville, ahd a coffee/sandwhich shop in it... really cool vibe there, couldnt find it again if I tried I imagine... was at Ft Knox for BNCOC and found it by accident
It wasn't Heine Bros. was it? I guess there are a few more places that would fit the description, but Heine Bros. is my favorite.

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
I'm definitely craving a cup of coffee right now.

I like my coffee roasted so that it's dark, but still retains some of the subtle flavors that can be lost in the darkest roasts. I'm not a huge fan of light roasts and will not let sugar come near my coffee. Milk or cream is alright in the proper context, but I usually take my coffee black.

·
Sir Hurt Locker
1,007 Posts
I am definately a coffee junkie. If I don't get a cup of coffee I get headaches. When I was in Costa Rica I absolutely loved the coffee, especially the volcano coffee plantations, organic of course. I brought back tonnes of coffee from CR but unfortunately ran out so now I usually drink crap coffee cause I just stop in at whatever cafe is on the way to where i'm going. Once in a while I love to get a good cup of coffee and it is always sooo amazing because I get used to crap coffee. The coffee shack in Moab (across from Poison Spider Cyclery) has great Americanos, and they garnish with a little chocolate covered espresso bean!!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've grown up finally, and quit everything except my caffeine.
Highly recommended beans... Black Velvet (coincidence) from the Coffee Klatch in Laguna Beach

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Moab

Amazingly enough, (because it is in Utah), Moab has several places with great coffee. My favorite is the Fiery Furnace Roasters coffee at the Arches Bookstore downtown. They had a bit of a crisis when their roaster moved on, but they have come back strongly. They roast the coffee in the back of the store, and you never have to get beans roasted more than a day or two earlier. Their Sumatra is awesome.

The Red Rock Bakery uses coffee from the former roaster at Arches, and it is great, too. FMC - Fresh Moab Coffee.

Wicked Brew is a little shed/kiosk on North Main. Their coffee has a KICK. Hmmmm.

Then there is Eklectica, and the kiosk on South Main, and the Love Muffin Cafe .....oh, and Starbucks in the City Market. Screw that. I laugh at the people lining up in there. They have no idea what they are missing.

1 - 20 of 162 Posts