Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted in general but ill repost here so we can talk about pinon coffee together

All things coffee...

I love coffee with all my heart, I created this thread to catch my overflowing passion. All things coffee related belong in this thread, even the expensive cat **** coffee.

For the First post I want to share 2 unconventional methods of preparing coffee. Neither way needs a specific roast so use what ever you got.

Up first is Turkish coffee.

Your gonna need a cezve clean stove optional

fill 1/3 with water and add 2 spoons(small) of ground coffee. The coffee needs to be ground down as fine as flour. I tried my best but a regular electric grinder wont do it. supposedly a 60 dollar hand grinder can get it.

Then add some spices. there's lots of variations some times i dont add anything but when you do add spices you are taking advantage of the preparation and will end up with a really unique coffee that cant be made by other methods. So put the damn spices in heavy dash of each works good.

add some sugar(or not)

With all the junk in there mix it up real good. No dry clumps cause they'll fk sh!t up

After all the powders are mixed in real good add more water but don't fill it up all the way. You want about a 1/2 inch of room to work with.

Now put it on a LOW heat. This is important cause if you boil it then the flavor will get ruined and so will the foam.

So now with the low fire heating it up you got to pay close attention to the bubbles. the coffee will foam up and over flow if your not watching.

Once it "lifts" take it off the heat and let it set. You are gonna want the particles to sink to the bottom.

Then pour that bad boy slowly into your favorite mug or demitasse. I put some cold milk in the bottom of mine. It's not my favorite way but its the way i was doing it when i took the pictures. I think the cinnamon and cloves are all you need, also serve it in the smallest cup you got.

As I said above there's a lot of variation to be had. So get creative and experiment with different spices sugar etc. The most important step is the slow heating and pouring in the cup slow. Don't forget that there will always be grounds in the bottom of your cup so don't try and shoot it down your throat. Supposedly you can read your fortune from the mud at the bottom of the cup. Just look at it and make something up and that's your fortune ;)

Second method

This is a coffee drink that seems like a joke. It's not but I wouldn't blame anyone if they cross referenced it to see if I'm making stuff up. I know it's kind of crazy sounding.

If your still on board then listen up cause this is a high powered coffee drink. It will wake you up, dilate those pupils, and get you pedaling faster. All that good sh!t.

First, brew a normal pot of coffee. Once again, beans and roast don't matter. If you want to drink Folgers that's fine I drink it too sometimes but if I'm buying beans then I'm buying something good and not pre-ground in a plastic can.

So now that you got your pot of coffee brewed your gonna need a blender coconut oil and unsalted butter ( stay with me its good I swear)

Use a top of the line blender for best results

grab that coconut oil 2 fat spoons please

add 2 table spoons of butter

then add 2 cups or so of your favorite coffee

blend it up real good so the fat oils will emulsify. It makes make a really good creamy drink

Now enjoy. It's an energy drink of sorts. I always drink 2 big cups before all day epics. The fats digest slow and do some cool nutritional stuff that I don't understand but trust me, it works good! ...

The drink also works wonders for date nights if you want to be "Strong Like Bull"

So there's the first post of my coffee thread I'll be back with more. I love coffee too much for it to end anytime soon. Cowboy coffee and MRE coffee trick nothing is off limits. I'm no coffee snob I'm a coffee $lut

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
I'm in the midst of installing one of these at Red Rock Roasters

It was bought used from the UK and the electricity drives on the wrong side of the road (415v/50hz), so it takes a lot of pricey gear to get from 220v/60hz to there, at the power levels that machine uses.

Anyhoo, the place smells wonderful.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I'm in the midst of installing one of these at Red Rock Roasters

It was bought used from the UK and the electricity drives on the wrong side of the road (415v/50hz), so it takes a lot of pricey gear to get from 220v/60hz to there, at the power levels that machine uses.

Anyhoo, the place smells wonderful.
That looks like something I saw at my Dr Office.

·
but i want to ride now
134 Posts
I must say, I like the way this thread is headed...

I use an Aeropress for my desk at school since it is small and easy to clean. Right now I'm brewing some stuff from Handsome Coffee Roasters, from L.A. Anyway, cool tips, Fuglio.

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
espresso

You don't need an expensive counter top machine to make good espresso at home. I actually prefer the coffee made from these simple inexpensive stove top boilers. It gives you control over the heat so you can vary the time the water is in contact with the grounds.

The set up cost me 5 bucks at an indoor flea market. A top to catch the coffee a bottom to fill with water and the center piece to hold the grounds.

Fill the bottom with water and leave room to put the grounds holder in.

Place the holder in the bottom and add the grounds. Be careful not to over fill it. The boiling water needs to pass through there's a blow off valve on the sides of these things and I'm glad they work but its still loud and scary when the aluminum container filled with boiling water blows a valve on the stove. Ive learned my lesson and don't pack the bowl so tight any more.

Screw the top on tight and put it on a low heat

Then wait for the love to flow

Now enjoy. It makes a strong cup with a more aggressive taste then the turkish method.

This is my go to style if i want to sip some dark coffee and relax. it never makes a bad cup, unless it explodes :)

G

·
espresso

You don't need an expensive counter top machine to make good espresso at home. I actually prefer the coffee made from these simple inexpensive stove top boilers. It gives you control over the heat so you can vary the time the water is in contact with the grounds.

The set up cost me 5 bucks at an indoor flea market. A top to catch the coffee a bottom to fill with water and the center piece to hold the grounds.

Fill the bottom with water and leave room to put the grounds holder in.

Place the holder in the bottom and add the grounds. Be careful not to over fill it. The boiling water needs to pass through there's a blow off valve on the sides of these things and I'm glad they work but its still loud and scary when the aluminum container filled with boiling water blows a valve on the stove. Ive learned my lesson and don't pack the bowl so tight any more.

Screw the top on tight and put it on a low heat

Then wait for the love to flow

Now enjoy. It makes a strong cup with a more aggressive taste then the turkish method.

This is my go to style if i want to sip some dark coffee and relax. it never makes a bad cup, unless it explodes :)
I've got the camping equivalent to this espresso maker. Beyond regular espresso, a little condensed milk heated to the scalding point (maybe 2 parts coffee to 1 part milk) makes a pretty good Café Con Leche. In the summer (if you're not trying to warm up after a night in a sleeping bag) a little sweetened condensed milk (same ratio) and poured over ice makes a pretty good Vietnamese Coffee. As far as making Turkish or Greek Coffee, my best advice is to use a nut-press plate on a meat grinder. It will turn almonds or peanuts to paste and coffee into a pretty fine mash.

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've got the camping equivalent to this espresso maker. Beyond regular espresso, a little condensed milk heated to the scalding point (maybe 2 parts coffee to 1 part milk) makes a pretty good Café Con Leche. In the summer (if you're not trying to warm up after a night in a sleeping bag) a little sweetened condensed milk (same ratio) and poured over ice makes a pretty good Vietnamese Coffee. As far as making Turkish or Greek Coffee, my best advice is to use a nut-press plate on a meat grinder. It will turn almonds or peanuts to paste and coffee into a pretty fine mash.
Vietnamese coffee is one of my favorites. The coffee has a tendency to get interesting while camping. While at moab I went the NesCaffe and boiled water rote. Tastes like ass but you can make it strong enough so 1 large cup will keep the withdraw head aches away

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I must say, I like the way this thread is headed...

I use an Aeropress for my desk at school since it is small and easy to clean. Right now I'm brewing some stuff from Handsome Coffee Roasters, from L.A. Anyway, cool tips, Fuglio.
Where did you get the aeropress from? How do you like it

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think it's odd that they make a filter basket for the Keurig coffee maker. Eventually it will remorph into an espresso maker.
My parent's tried to give me thier old one and i wouldn't take it. One of those things i like for other people to have but would never want to own, like a hot tub

·
Genius
936 Posts
I would like to try method #2 but I am allergic to coconuts.... what substitution would you recommend for the coconut oil?

·
Registered
390 Posts
This is a coffee drink that seems like a joke. It's not but I wouldn't blame anyone if they cross referenced it to see if I'm making stuff up. I know it's kind of crazy sounding.

If your still on board then listen up cause this is a high powered coffee drink. It will wake you up, dilate those pupils, and get you pedaling faster. All that good sh!
So now that you got your pot of coffee brewed your gonna need a blender coconut oil and unsalted butter ( stay with me its good I swear)

blend it up real good so the fat oils will emulsify. It makes make a really good creamy drink

Now enjoy. It's an energy drink of sorts. I always drink 2 big cups before all day epics. The fats digest slow and do some cool nutritional stuff that I don't understand but trust me, it works good! ...

The drink also works wonders for date nights if you want to be "Strong Like Bull"

So there's the first post of my coffee thread I'll be back with more. I love coffee too much for it to end anytime soon. Cowboy coffee and MRE coffee trick nothing is off limits. I'm no coffee snob I'm a coffee $lut
I love this ["Bulletproof"]coffee on an empty stomach and for a little bit of extra sweetness I add about a teaspoon of honey. Talk about a head/body buzz...and takes care of hunger for a good 4 hours.

Your first recipe sounds like a lot of labor...I imagine it would taste a bit like Chai tea?? I can hardly wait the 4-5 minutes for my french press to steep so I doubt I'll be trying it soon; but thanks for sharing anyway.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
390 Posts
I would like to try method #2 but I am allergic to coconuts.... what substitution would you recommend for the coconut oil?
The coconut oil is actually the cruder way of infusing your bulletproof coffee with medium chain triglycerides...which are a type of fat that is easily converted for energy and your brain likes it.

They have a product that will give you pure MCT oil: https://www.onnit.com/bulletproof-mct-oil/

Hopefully that will work for you.

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I love this ["Bulletproof"]coffee on an empty stomach and for a little bit of extra sweetness I add about a teaspoon of honey. Talk about a head/body buzz...and takes care of hunger for a good 4 hours.

Your first recipe sounds like a lot of labor...I imagine it would taste a bit like Chai tea?? I can hardly wait the 4-5 minutes for my french press to steep so I doubt I'll be trying it soon; but thanks for sharing anyway.:thumbsup:
The first one is alot like chai. Its alot of effort. Nothing gets used more then the good ole perculator. Its not sexy but it makes 12 cups at a time and is very easy to clean up. I recently got a siphon brewer wich has a nice convenience to quality ratio. Once the honey moon is over who knows how often Ill use it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.