Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
aka dan51
6,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Law, JustJeff and I did the Flat Frog/Middle Ridge/China Hole loop, with a bonus of Lost Springs. 6 creek crossings, lots of awesome scenery, super mellow pace, and bonk on the final .5 miles of the day.

You guys need to get out to Coe now, while water is flowing, and everything is green.

I finally figured out how to enjoy Coe. Go there for the scenery, not the riding. Although we did some awesome trails today.

1. what happens next?
2. looks like that hurts
3. hub deep for the 29er
4. no falling here
5. some burn damage

Attachments

·
More pie please
2,008 Posts
I like the pictures Dan! I agree, it was an awesome day at Coe. Great
to finally get out to the back-country again

We had a group go out of Hunting Hollow: El Hombre, his friend and
partner at mtbguru - Tom, Biking Brazilian, Jim "Jeans" stichnot,
nullmod Diesel~, switchbaxr, plymmer, and myself. Basically
we went out to Pacheco Falls: from Hunting Hollow it was up Lyman
Willson (yay, I cleaned "the wall", and with cameras pointed at me! -
lets see those photos, guys!!!), Bowl, Wagon, Live Oak Spring, and
down to the falls. We had an inordinate number of flat tires and
mechanical problems. The group split-up as folks hit their time
constraints. After Pacheco Falls, Roy & I went part-way out the
Pacheco Creek drainage. Prior to the fire, the Pacheco Creek Trail
was a set of parallel single tracks but it was bladed-I'm guessing
during the fire-so it isn't as nice as it used to be. It crosses the
creek many times - these crossings were bedrock prior the grading
and were fun to ride through but now they are soft and mucky.
Oh well, it's still a beautiful area and I'm glad we got to see it.
About 2:30pm we turned back. Riding down Grizzly, Roy crashed
due to a front tire puncture. He ended up with bruised shoulder,
ribs, and foot but was able to get up and finish the ride.

I'll post my pics when I get time... Hopefully, switchbaxr will make a vid.

Oh yeah, we met Bob Petrie just after we left Pacheco Falls. Bob
does the http://coefire2007.info web site-he was out on a data
gathering mission today-and he is the person who prepared the very
detailed and accurate Coe map. It was an exciting moment for us
Coe nerds!

Best wishes to Dirk/El Hombre who is about to become a father!!!

///Charlie

·
Registered
524 Posts
Skyline35 said:

///Charlie
Skyline35, great meeting you all! I made some quick cuts while my brother in law tended the grill this afternoon...here's the video:)

Looks like you all had a great ride in spite of the mechanicals...it was such an epic and beautiful day! Chris and I rode past Coit and Kelly lakes then up a steep ridge then down Grizzly Gulch...what a blast!

http://web.mac.com/ronaclan/iWeb/Site/Coe-Feb-2008.html

·
Registered
668 Posts
Skyline35 said:

partner at mtbguru - Tom, Biking Brazilian, Jim "Jeans", nullmod,
switchbaxr, plymmer, and myself. Basically we went out to Pacheco
Falls: from Hunting Hollow it was up Lyman Willson (yay, I cleaned
"the wall", and with cameras pointed at me! - lets see those photos,
guys!!!),

///Charlie
Thanks Charlie! I posted some pics in another thread, as not to hijack this one, but here you are, cleaning the Wall:

</img>

This is on the steepest part... the only problem: it doesn't look steep ;)

It was a great day indeed, hopefully Roy is not too beat up... what was up with all those mechanicals? I think we've taunted the evil spirits in Split Rock...

·
aka dan51
6,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice job making it up the wall!
I had my own little accomplishment today. I climbed that steep section of Middle Ridge all the way to the top. There are two downed trees right after it, and a few more further down the trail. We took our time and did some trail maintenance, cleaning off fallen branches, excessive leaves, and moving whatever else could have been a hazard. Several trees are still there and require a chainsaw to remove.

Don't worry about hijacking the thread. Coe was sweet today, feel free to add whatever Coe sweetness you guys had.

·
Registered
883 Posts
'Bout time Dan figured out how to appreciate Coe.

Charlie, that doesn't look that steep.

For that first creek crossing, Dan had the camera on burst mode so we have a nice series of shots of me going into the water. Luckily it was so warm out today that the wetness didn't bother me.

The jumping water crossing spider was pretty cool. Gotta love Coe. Always something new.

·
Fermented Grain Sampler
clinking clanking clattering collection of collagenous junk
4,164 Posts
Nice shots. I really like the tree/moon pic. Haven't been to Coe for some time. Need to make it back there.

·
More pie please
2,008 Posts
Thanks for the pictures of me on the Lyman Willson Wall. I make that
once out of about 20 trys and usually everyone else is already way up
the hill so typically, when it happens, it's a lonely victory.

Shiloh's right...it does look flat...
(Hey Dan, when do we get to see the full photo sequence of Shiloh's spill???)

BB - your photo of Pacheco Falls is making me dizzy!

My stats: 25.3 miles / 4,900' 4:12 riding and 8:08 total...hmm, we did a
lot of bike fixin', yacking, photo taking, sight seeing, and once in a while,
we did some pedalling........ Great being out in Coe with you guys
(& good to meet you, Ron)!

///Charlie

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~​

The group at Willson Ranch: Tom, Dirk [ElHombre], Roy [plymmer], Jim [stichnot], Chris [nullmod Diesel~], Ron [switchbaxr], Patrick [Biking Brazilian]:

Tom & Dirk; some twisted links were removed and yay!, we're ready to roll again:

View off of Wagon Road:

Pacheco Falls:

Pacheco Creek upstream of the Falls:

One of the zillion stream-crossings on the Pacheco Creek Trail. Unfortunately, the trail was recently graded; probably during the Lick Fire fight:

It looked like this one bush got hit by a laser beam from an UFO. (Pacheco Creek Trail):

·
Registered
668 Posts
Here my pics (in a thread-merge effort).
Thanks switchbaxr for the cool movie - I didn't even notice you had that camera on your bike (on the handlebar?). Next time we have to take footage of you when you're wheelieing down the trail again...

</img>

Everyone's favorite part: the Lyman-Wilson Wall. It looks so sweet and flat here...

</img>

It's hard not to love California winters...

</img>

Plymmer and Jim attempted to please the evil Coe demons that live in the bottomless depths of Split Rock.

</img>

This was unfortunately to no avail, as the theme of the day was mechanicals: one bent/broken chain and three flats if I count right.

</img>

BikingBrazilian scouting a hairy drop; a few wicked samba moves are needed in order to clean this.

</img>

With a bit of trailwork, this crevasse could be a nice new route, Plymmer is thinking?

</img>

On the Pacheco Falls overlook cliff... my shots of the falls sucked, but I'm sure the others will chime in.

</img>

Tom on Grizzly Gulch

After the climb out from the falls, I ran out of time and headed back with Tom, along Wagon, Wasno, Tule Pond and Grizzly Gulch. Curious to hear where the rest of the group ended up... it was a great day, and great being back here.
More pics and stats here.

·
King Of Tooth Tarter
455 Posts
Fun But With Pain

Skyline35 said:

partner at mtbguru - Tom, Biking Brazilian, Jim "Jeans", nullmod,
switchbaxr, plymmer, and myself. Basically we went out to Pacheco
Falls: from Hunting Hollow it was up Lyman Willson (yay, I cleaned
"the wall", and with cameras pointed at me! - lets see those photos,
guys!!!), Bowl, Wagon, Live Oak Spring, and down to the falls. We
had an inordinate number of flat tires and mechanical problems.
The group split-up as folks hit their time constraints. After Pacheco
Falls, Roy & I went part-way out the Pacheco Creek drainage. Prior
to the fire, the Pacheco Creek Trail was a set of parallel single tracks
but it was bladed-I'm guessing during the fire-so it isn't as nice
as it used to be. It crosses the creek many times - these crossings
were bedrock prior the grading and were fun to ride through but now
they are soft and mucky. Oh well, it's still a beautiful area and I'm glad
we got to see it. About 2:30pm we turned back. Riding down Grizzly,
Roy crashed due to a front tire puncture. He ended up with bruised
shoulder, ribs, and foot but was able to get up and finish the ride.

Oh yeah, we met Bob Petrie just after we left Pacheco Falls. Bob
does the http://coefire2007.info web site-he was out on a data
gathering mission today-and he is the person who prepared the very
detailed and accurate Coe map. It was an exciting moment for us
Coe nerds!

///Charlie
It was a hell of a ride! We were all extremely excited to get out to more af Henry Coe Park after being shut out for so long.

There were an incredible amount of "mechanicals". One chain getting stuck in the spokes and four or five flat tyres. Pinch flats. That's what my two were. Charlie had two flat tyres also. Mine? After taking some pictures while stopped during Charlie's flat fixing we all get on our bikes and start riding. I notice that my tyre is flat also. Apparently the large amount of branches, pine cones and rocks and cragginess on the Live Oak Spring Trail took a toll. My other flat came as I was out in front gapping Charlie on the Grizzly Gulch Trail. All of a sudden during a particularly craggy section (right by that poison oak bush you have to avoid) I'm flying off my bike! I landed on my right shoulder and side. My first fear was that I broke my collar bone. Luckily that was not the case. My ribs were a bit sore and my foot hurt. I think I came out so quick that my shoe was stuck in the pedal briefly. I sat there a while and assessed my damages. Nothing too major. I noticed that I had a flat tyre at that point and that's what caused my crash. The handlebars were wrench out of my hands abruptly turning maximum right! My ribs hurt a bit now but I think I'm o.k. It won't keep me from riding (which would've been hell).

Charlie's second flat occured on Gilroy Hot Springs Road. A slow leak. He nursed his bike to the parking lot, barely making it. A fair amount of us paid a price but I think we made out pretty well. Fantastic riding at Coe this weekend.

Dan. What fine pictures you take. Way beyond with a very artistic touch. Are you touching them up with photo shop afterwards? Well done. I'm glad your group had fun in the north part of the park. Middle Ridge is a fine trail. I'd like to ride there on the way to Bear Mountain sometime, or Rock House Ridge via Hat Rock. I miss those places.

It was good to actually see Bob Petrie, the designer of the Coe Map. Looking back, I should've had him autograph my map. Best map of any park in California. Genius. He needs more credit.

Nice video switchbaxr! That's some fine editing. Hell, we're all stars!

I really liked meeting and talking with past acquaintances and some new ones. Great ride! Good to ride with Chris Kangas after doing some trail work with him the week before. And good to see Ranger John Verhoeven's post that the park was open. Now that you've got a handle here John, it would be good to see more posts!

Roy.

·
More Torque
2,030 Posts
Great to see all of you guys out there. I'm going to quit using my nullmod profile and start using Diesel, to create a little more consistency across multiple forums and outdoor groups.

After Ron and I split from the group, we headed down the Coit Ridge Trail to Coit Dam, took the road to Kelly Lake, up the Kelly Lake trail (first time with no stopping and no dabs, which was cool), down Dexter and down Grizzly Gulch. What a blast for sure.

Hope to see you all soon.

Chris

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
killer pics, i just moved to morgan hill from san jose. santa cruz mtns has been my spot for years(short technical rides 13miles or less) is there any routes you would recommend to start with in coe that won't get me lost.

·
aka dan51
6,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
plymmer said:
Dan. What fine pictures you take. Way beyond with a very artistic touch. Are you touching them up with photo shop afterwards? Well done. I'm glad your group had fun in the north part of the park. Middle Ridge is a fine trail. I'd like to ride there on the way to Bear Mountain sometime, or Rock House Ridge via Hat Rock. I miss those places.

Roy.
Roy,
I use Picasa to touch then up a bit. I usually just adjust the contrast, but occasionally make a few other adjustments.

Charlie,
The pre crash photo is the best. She actually fell on the rocks and didn't get as wet as she could have.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts