Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gonna be soloing into Mississippi Lake this coming week....Taking the B.O.B and too many pounds of camping/fishing gear in there Tu-Th. I'll be the de-ranged, exhausted guy on the Black ID, lugging the BOB. If any of ya' coe riders make it out there and see me riding or out in Coit, Kelly, or Mississippi Lks. fishing...say "hey" :D

I "may" (read depending on how exhausted I am from the ride in) try and day trip over to Jackrabbit or Mustang Ponds. Have any of you ridden Hartman (*cough* not on a bike of course ;) ) or Alquist trails? Which would you suggest as the best route for a BOB? Either climb easier than the other back to Mississippi?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
wXman said:
Gonna be soloing into Mississippi Lake this coming week....Taking the B.O.B and too many pounds of camping/fishing gear in there Tu-Th. I'll be the de-ranged, exhausted guy on the Black ID, lugging the BOB. If any of ya' coe riders make it out there and see me riding or out in Coit, Kelly, or Mississippi Lks. fishing...say "hey" :D

I "may" (read depending on how exhausted I am from the ride in) try and day trip over to Jackrabbit or Mustang Ponds. Have any of you ridden Hartman (*cough* not on a bike of course ;) ) or Alquist trails? Which would you suggest as the best route for a BOB? Either climb easier than the other back to Mississippi?

Thanks in advance!
With all that weight you will have to be very careful on the downhills. There are many steep DHs at Coe. Getting up to Mississippi Lake is going to be tough. I like to go up to Bear mountain and then it a nice ride down County Line Road to Mississippi Lake. But going up Bear Mountain will be tough in spots with a BOB. Willow Ridge Road should be nice for getting to Mississippi Lake. I would avoid Willow Ridge Trail as it is very steep for a BOB puller.

You have your work cut out for you. I can't imagine what could happen in a crash if you are pulling a BOB. I wouldn't be surprised if you could ruin your seat tube. Good luck. When are you going?

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quasi,

Thanks for the reply. I've actually been to MS Lk a couple times, and am all too familiar with the experience of what is "Coe". I've just never ridden anything east of County Line Rd - hence my questions.

The BOB trailer is actually pretty amazing...what it will track and follow...and how well it rides. I have one of the very first models and the only thing that could improve it's performance is suspension (the new ones have it) to eliminate some of the crazy bouncing that can develop when cruising rougher DH's.

Crashing with a BOB can be spectacular.:eekster: To date I've only had "minor" mishaps with them, but last year a buddy of mine and I were riding out from Kelly Lk. on Coit Rd., probably doing about 20+. We came up to that a very rutted section of Coit Rd right below Coit Camp...he got tracking in one of the ruts...and did the most spectacular OTB's I've ever seen...rider, bike, and BOB all doing a complete flip. My buddy came away with a slightly scraped knee and elbow, the BOB completely sheared from the rear tire axel.. taking both pivot bolts...and amazingly his bike was fine except for a slightly bent derailluer hanger (A Steelman HT). I've always carried an extra BOB axle "just in case" and after tweaking his d-hanger and installing the axle we were good to go.

·
loopy counter
872 Posts
Hartman, Alquist

wXman said:

Thanks in advance!
I haven't been on Hartman, but reports were that it was cut steep, like a fire break. The west side of Hartman is higher elevation than the other routes, so there's more delta in similar distance. It may be overgrown. The challenges for Alquist are tight switchbacks, and of course it is also in the wilderness. Alquist is climbable. Turkey pond has a steep downhill, but it's legal. It you want easiest climbing for the trip back, stick to the roads.

I'd consider parking the BOB for the day trip, or camping a second night along Orestimba Creek.

Enjoy.

·
Nature Rider, Not MTBer
2,695 Posts
knobs said:
I haven't been on Hartman, but reports were that it was cut steep, like a fire break. The west side of Hartman is higher elevation than the other routes, so there's more delta in similar distance. It may be overgrown. The challenges for Alquist are tight switchbacks, and of course it is also in the wilderness. Alquist is climbable. Turkey pond has a steep downhill, but it's legal. It you want easiest climbing for the trip back, stick to the roads.

I'd consider parking the BOB for the day trip, or camping a second night along Orestimba Creek.

Enjoy.
Last time I was at Alquist (end of '05?) there were trees down and I was unable to avoid the poision oak when going around them. It is a reasonable climb, though.

·
Medium?
6,732 Posts
If you've been to Mississippi a few times, why not start at one of the others first? I liked Kingbird pond better. If you go all the way to Mustang Pond be aware that the Mustang Pond N. Tr. is a route, not a trail. Don't try to 'ride' it.

If you went down Co. Line Rd from Pacheco then left on Kaiser-Aetna Rd it's probably less climbing than getting to Mississippi. Spend the night, then climb Alquist on the way back to Mississippi.

If you do it, make sure you ride Oristemba Corral Tr at least one way, maybe both. It is sweet!

Alquist should be all stomped down from the Backcountry Weekend three weeks ago.

You're fishing, right? Folks were pulling nice bass out of the little pond just up the road from Oristemba Corral. I don't remember what it's called.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
All...Thanks for all the advice on trails and such....Trip was an amazing success. Spent pretty close to 4days W/O seeing another person or speaking...it was great, and as much as the trip is about the MTB rides in and out of there....it's about the fishing for me too. I chose to stay at MS...well because there is a nice table, nice shade structure, and veeeeery nice water there :thumbsup:

I had a crappy porta-camera with me...I'll post pics when the film gets developed....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
wXman said:
All...Thanks for all the advice on trails and such....Trip was an amazing success. Spent pretty close to 4days W/O seeing another person or speaking...it was great, and as much as the trip is about the MTB rides in and out of there....it's about the fishing for me too. I chose to stay at MS...well because there is a nice table, nice shade structure, and veeeeery nice water there :thumbsup:

I had a crappy porta-camera with me...I'll post pics when the film gets developed....:rolleyes:
Did the local yellow jackets steal any of your fish? :eek:

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
nope...but a couple ticks tried to carry me off and feed me to their young...:p

The little bastages are out in force right now in Coe. I talked to two guys who hiked up Willow Ridge Trail and then out the rest of the "Roller Coaster" to get to Mississippi, and one of had picked something like 20 or 30 ticks whilst going throught the Chemise on Willow Ridge Trail.

·
Medium?
6,732 Posts
InsaneChicken666 said:
be sure to pack a firearm for safety and protection
That would be illegal, unsafe and unnecessary.

InsaneChicken666 said:
lots of animal and human threats out there.
No, there are not. Please submit a list of all the times you've been threatened "out there".

I've been "out there" hundreds of times solo both in the day and at night. Two times large pigs have made me feel uncomfortable, but not threatened. I haven't seen any pigs this year.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Fast Eddy said:
That would be illegal, unsafe and unnecessary.
First of all, legality:
A permit to carry a concealed firearm can be obtained in California through your local sheriffs office if you do the training, pay the fee, and pass the background ceck.

Second, safety:
Guns are not unsafe. People are sometimes unsafe with guns. Cars don't make people drive drunk. Good training will teach safety with guns.

Third, unnecessary

Is your helmet unnecessary? I've never crashed on my head, should I stop wearing it?
Is a seatbelt unnecessary? I've never been in a car accident, should I stop putting it on?
Should we cancel our health insurance and car insurance?
Is it necessary to lock my doors at night? Never had anyone try to open them
If your so trusting in everything, you might as well not wear a helmet, tattoo your social security number on your forehead, cancel your insurance, etc, etc... A gun is just another thing that you hope to God you never need but would never be without.

Firearms are one of the only things that offered protection and safety to the people stranded after Hurricane Katrina. You never know what kind of disaster is around the corner, especially with our geographic location.

To answer your other question, yes, a firearm has saved my life and the life of a loved one.
I have encounterd insane humans, mountain lions, bears, and pigs while mountain biking and camping. Having a firearm offered me a sense of security knowing I would be able to protect myself and my family.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Fast Eddy said:
I've been "out there" hundreds of times solo both in the day and at night. Two times large pigs have made me feel uncomfortable, but not threatened. I haven't seen any pigs this year.
Hey Ed,

Speaking of which.... To your knowledge, did the Park do something to eradicate the pigs out there??? I've seen very few if any during the past 2-3yrs. Also seen much less "rooting" in the grassy areas than a few years back.

Miss seeing them about...but they were kinda tearing things up...

·
I am lost, I'm no guide
1,145 Posts
InsaneChicken666 said:
First of all, legality:
A permit to carry a concealed firearm can be obtained in California through your local sheriffs office if you do the training, pay the fee, and pass the background ceck.
Hmm... last time I checked, carrying a firearm in a state park is illegal, regardless of whether or not you do the training, pay the fee, and pass the background check.

Way to dive right in to the bulletin board and make a splash.:bluefrown:

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
gobike said:
Hmm... last time I checked, carrying a firearm in a state park is illegal, regardless of whether or not you do the training, pay the fee, and pass the background check.

Way to dive right in to the bulletin board and make a splash.:bluefrown:
There must be exceptions for private property owners. I have heard gunshots near private property in the middle of Coe. I presume that people were hunting on their property. It would be an interesting legal question as to whether a concealed weapons permit would qualify as an exception to the Park Service' regulations. I doubt it.

Besides Mountain Lions, there is some danger of armed pot growers/guards. Maybe it is too dry in Coe for Marijuana, I wouldn't know. Of course, having a gun might make things worse if you run into some "farmers."

I would just bring a knife for the Mountain Lion threat. I would be legal, and I think I could hold my own if I am not killed instantly.

·
Registered
23 Posts
A large knife and a can of bear spray at a minimum. You're talking about being in the wilderness alone. There is no reason to be unprotected. This is not a fantasy land, there are very real threats when you talk about going into the woods by yourself, Timothy Treadwell didn't think he needed protection. He got eaten for dinner. The point is that we have options, we don't have to be victims of animals or humans. Being able to defend yourself puts you one step higher on the food chain.

And by the way... don't believe those signs that say to scare away a mountain lion by making alot of noise. Think all those mountain bikers who've been eaten alive didn't make alot of noise?!! I don't want to come across the half eaten rotting corpse of another mountain biker. That would ruin a ride for sure.

Take precautions and utilize your options. If you are a man with a family, you have the responsibility to protect your family. Don't think you can just call 911 in the middle of the night when you notice someone standing over you with a knife to your throat. It happens. Talk to any cop, they'll tell you you're a fool if you can't defend yourself.:rant:

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
InsaneChicken666 said:
Take precautions and utilize your options. If you are a man with a family, you have the responsibility to protect your family. Don't think you can just call 911 in the middle of the night when you notice someone standing over you with a knife to your throat. It happens. Talk to any cop, they'll tell you you're a fool if you can't defend yourself.:rant:
While on this subject, first aid is very on topic. If you do fight off a mountain lion, drug growers, or merely fall down a cliff and land on a pointy stick, there is a significant chance of a serious bleeding problem. The army has developed a new battlefield dressing which uses chemicals in shrimp shells and can staunch bleeding much better than gauze. One dressing seems to run about $150, but it appears to require a prescription. Not sure if these are available to the public, or you can get one from a friend who is a paramedic, but one would be nice to have in the wilderness:

http://tinyurl.com/ejyyj

·
Medium?
6,732 Posts
InsaneChicken666 said:
http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/2752128/detail.html

Just another reason to have the option to protect yourself........
LOL. Nice 2 year old reference.

that article said:
Including Thursday's incident, there have been 13 mountain lion attacks on humans in California over the past 114 years, said Doug Updike, a biologist with California Fish and Game Department. In those cases, there were five fatalities, he said.

"The probability of somebody being attacked by a lion is extremely rare," Updike said. "There is a better chance of being struck by lightning than being attacked by a lion."
I can't wait to find out how you protect your family from lightning. Grounded aluminum foil hats?

"...a gun in the home is 22 times more likely to be used to kill a family member or friend than to kill in self-defense."

- Kellermann AL, Rivara FP, Rushforth NB, et al. Gun ownership as a risk factor for homicide in the home. New England Journal of Medicine. 1993;329:1084-1091.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.