Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
TANSTAAFL
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So having just been to Mt Ashland in Oregon and Downieville, I have really gotten to like this shuttle thing. That got me thinking, everytime I ride Coe from HQ I end up climbing out, and everytime I ride Coe from HH you start with a climb, so is there a way to connect the two and drop in at HQ and ride to HH with some climbing, but less than a loop out of either location?

If there is.....anyone interested in trying it this Saturday AM? seems like it will be reasonable cool, and with all the smoke I figure less climbing is a good thing.

looking at the map, seems like flat frog -> middle ridge -> china hole -> mahoney medows road -> cross canyon trial -> grapevine trail ->anza and out at Coyote creek might be reasonable

suggestions?

·
Medium?
6,732 Posts
If you could just get someone to drive you up to HQ, you could pretty easily ride the 40 miles all the way around and back to town. Otherwise the shuttle driving will end up being very onerous. 1.5 car-hours to drop a car at HH, half hr up to hq, half hour back to town from HH, 1.5 car-hours back to get the first car. That's 3 total hours of driving and 4 car-hours.

From HH into MH there's only one short road climb and there's some great new singletrack in Harvey Bear Ranch Park.

A reasonably fast rider could at least tie the shuttlers all the way around without expending any petrol.

I couldn't do it Saturday anyhow...

·
TANSTAAFL
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I see what youa re saying about the Harvey Bear park option, so HQ to HH, then road ride to HB and out to a car at the San Martin HB parking lot.....nice addition with not too much uphill....I like it. Shortens the shuttle time and adds some more miles mostly downhill. Could be an epic day....

any takers?

Jim

·
Medium?
6,732 Posts
Air quality in Bay Area continues to be unhealthy due to
smoke from wildfires

SAN FRANCISCO - The Bay Area Air Quality Management District is extending its
health advisory to residents in the Bay Area due to unhealthy air quality from Northern
California wildfires.
Air quality throughout much of the nine-county Bay Area region-comprising Alameda,
Contra Costa, Marin, Napa, San Francisco, San Mateo, Santa Clara, southwestern
Solano and southern Sonoma Counties-is forecast to reach unhealthy levels on
Thursday, June 26, and Friday, June 27. The Air District has recorded elevated levels of
particulate matter throughout the Bay Area, but especially in the northern and eastern
parts of the region, and is advising the public to limit their exposure to the smoky air.

http://www.baaqmd.gov/pio/news/2008/wildfire_080626.pdf

·
Slowest Rider
5,237 Posts
Henry coe Shuttle

I've been threatening to do a HQ to HH shuttle route for a year now. It'll probably finally happen with the next Fall circus.

I'll get the mere mortals involved too, as they want to do Henry Coe, but prefer less than about 15 miles, 2000' of climb. I'd do HQ, Flat Frog, Middle Ridge, hike a bike to China Hole and up to Mahoney Meadows, then down Grapevine.

Oh, and a bunch of guys did the reverse, a HH to HQ shuttle a while back on a Fast Eddy ride. Ask him about it. What Fun that day!

·
Premium Member
8,633 Posts
BigLarry said:
Well, you can indeed have both, if the ride is planned by Fast Eddy. ;)
good point.....:lol:

but...he brings beer sometimes.....and shares.....so FE is alright....unless he's talkin' ya into that last tequila shot.....then he's just plain mean.......;)

·
aka dan51
6,022 Posts
shuttlin Coe sounds fine, and that route would be the best. But it would seriously be an all day affair with the driving. If I'm gonna drive that much in a day, I'd better end up in Tahoe for a week.

·
TANSTAAFL
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
hey it is not as bad as you all are making it sound, Google maps has the travel time from HH to HQ as 1 hour, and from HQ to HB as 36 miuntes.

So two drive to HH then jump into a car and dirve to HQ = 1hour more driving, then after the ride they go back to HQ for an hour, an out, so the total shuttle time might be 2.5 hours, a little more than Downieville, and not as good a ride, but hey, it is in our back yard.

If we follow Fast Eddy's idea, then we are talking 36 minutes.....so totally reasonable.

Jim

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.