Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok the Snow sucks in Tahoe right now so it's time to Bike

Planning a pretty long Coe ride, to make up for the minimal saddle time I've had over the last month.

Regular partner in crime is out of commission, so if anyone wants to brave the cold and meet me at Hunting Hollow at 9:00 AM Saturday, I'd love the company. There will be plenty of climbing to help keep warmed up!

The ride I have in mind includes Lots of single track, I did it back in November and it's around 32 miles and took us about 5 1/2 hours of actual saddle time. Single single track descents include -

1) Rock tower off Elderberry Spring
2) Cattleduster/Coit Spring
3) Cross Canyon
4) White Tank
5) Tule Pond
6) Middle Steer (After sucky climb up Serpentine)
7) Spike Joes/Timm (Optional since your right near the parking lot and it's a sucky hike-a-bike up Jim Donnelly, but worth it)

Vert is proably somewere around 7000 to 8000 feet, here is the motionbased from the last time I did this ride.
http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/1649534
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool, I remember we passed riding the punisher in different directions last summer.

I may not be able to check back in till early in the AM or late tonight but I'll be there

Blue Car, Black Truth, Yellow Helmet at 9.00 AM, Hunting Hollow.........
 

·
Nature Rider, Not MTBer
Joined
·
2,695 Posts
Plymmer, a couple non-mtbr people, and I will be out there, but not starting 'til 10am. That should be enough time after you to ensure we don't get sucked into your insane pain fest.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
723 Posts
Fallin Apart

All my bikes except my SS are falling apart. My Giant is good except for the minor detail of a 400 dollar shock that no one can fix. I will probably ride it tomorrow. So I am thinking of Coe at 10:00 and no bike maintenance, or Kennedy at 10:30 and bike maintenance after. I will be with a non downhill racer on either ride and 3000 to 4000 feet of vertical will be fine with us.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
668 Posts
TahoeBC said:
Cool, I remember we passed riding the punisher in different directions last summer.

I may not be able to check back in till early in the AM or late tonight but I'll be there

Blue Car, Black Truth, Yellow Helmet at 9.00 AM, Hunting Hollow.........
Green car, Black Yeti - if I'm not there at 9AM I probably decided sleeping in was a better idea, so don't wait ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ElHombre said:
Green car, Black Yeti - if I'm not there at 9AM I probably decided sleeping in was a better idea, so don't wait ;)
I'll keep an eye out for ya

And Plim If I see an Orange flash out of the corner of my eye I'll know who it is :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What a Killer day, it was a balmy 19 degrees when I pulled into Hunting Hollow at the same time as El Hombre. Chatted briefly with Skyline35 who was about to do some trail work with Paul.

El Hombre lived up to his screen name as "The Man", jeese I was feeling pretty old and fat chasing him up the climbs today. Did clean Serpentine today which made me feel better.

A little Ice skating was done on the creek crossings thru cross canyon, first one I thought I'd break right thru the ice, no dice, my tires immediately zipped out from below me. El Hombre soaked a foot when he broke thru trusting the ice a bit to much, luckily it was right before our big climb out of cross canyon.

I think El Hombre was questioning my sanity going up Jim Donnelly, I assured him the pain would be forgotten as soon as we started down Spike Jones. I have to admit the last little grunt to the top of spike jones I was thinking I don't have to many up hill peddles left in me.

Driving out the temp in the car read 38 degrees, but I tell you it was a great day for tackling the Coe climbs today, they warmed you right up.

Something like 7200 feet of vert, 31 miles and 5 hours and 5 minutes, I sure El Hombre will post up exact figures.

Enjoyed the company today :thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
668 Posts
TahoeBC said:
What a Killer day, it was a balmy 19 degrees when I pulled into Hunting Hollow at the same time as El Hombre. Chatted briefly with Skyline35 who was about to do some trail work with Paul.

El Hombre lived up to his screen name as "The Man", jeese I was feeling pretty old and fat chasing him up the climbs today. Did clean Serpentine today which made me feel better.
Hey don't be modest - cleaning Serpentine with 5000ft of earlier climbing doesn't qualify you for complaining, you were smoking! I just made up for it with my speed hike-a-bike skills ;)

TahoeBC said:
I think El Hombre was questioning my sanity going up Jim Donnelly, I assured him the pain would be forgotten as soon as we started down Spike Jones. I have to admit the last little grunt to the top of spike jones I was thinking I don't have to many up hill peddles left in me.
I was ready for a lidocaine IV at that point, but you were right:
a minute or two on Spike Jones and the agony was gone...

TahoeBC said:
Something like 7200 feet of vert, 31 miles and 5 hours and 5 minutes, I sure El Hombre will post up exact figures.

Enjoyed the company today :thumbsup:
Me too! A great day and a great ride, I'll post pics and stats later.
 

·
More pie please
Joined
·
2,014 Posts
TahoeBC said:
...Chatted briefly with Skyline35 who was about to do some trail work with Paul...
Always good to see you Jeff! And glad to meet you ElHombre. The crew did some brushing on White Tank Spring and Coit Ridge trails. Mid-day was surprisingly pleasant, wasn't it? Sounds like you got a great ride in today. I briefly saw Plim, plymmer, et al at the Coyote Creek gate on the way out. I didn't quite catch all of their route but later I heard a rumor in the Hunting Hollow parking lot that those dawgs went and explored the George Milias Trail without me. (Insert Sad-Plim-Face icon here to represent my bummed-out-ness at missing that.) I'm sure they had a fun time and will hopefully report in later.

///Charlie

p.s. I heard some interesting MBTB9 plans today!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Skyline35 said:
The crew did some brushing on White Tank Spring and Coit Ridge trails.
Thanks for the trail work, we ended up taking the Rose Dam trail, so we would not have to run you over :p

Upper White tank was definitly in better shape than when we hit it during the Fall Circus ride, if your responsible for that, thanks again!

Oh yea and as far as George Milias Trail goes you did not miss much, maybe it's better now, Years ago, it was either freshly cut or regraded, talk about steep and loose. Never had the desire to check it out again after that.
 

·
More pie please
Joined
·
2,014 Posts
TahoeBC said:
Oh yea and as far as George Milias Trail goes you did not miss much, maybe it's better now, Years ago, it was either freshly cut or regraded, talk about steep and loose. Never had the desire to check it out again after that.
No worries, I'll hit it another day. It seems we're trying to ride every trail in Coe at least once, even the awful ones!

///Charlie
 

·
King Of Tooth Tarter
Joined
·
455 Posts
Whoa...

Plim said:
Plymmer, a couple non-mtbr people, and I will be out there, but not starting 'til 10am. That should be enough time after you to ensure we don't get sucked into your insane pain fest.
I didn't see this. Pain indeed. Damn. I have to check this list more often.

Roy.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top