Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
883 Posts
We went out to Pacheco Falls once. It was disappointing compared to the hype. See you all shortly, assuming I can get Dan motivated.
 

·
aka dan51
Joined
·
6,021 Posts
The Law said:
We went out to Pacheco Falls once. It was disappointing compared to the hype. See you all shortly, assuming I can get Dan motivated.
I don't do well in heat, so prepare yourselves for that.

Pacheco Falls was the WORST ride I ever did at Coe. Totally not worth it IMO. Might not have been as bad if we were hiking and had on proper hiking gear.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
883 Posts
Wow does the heat make a difference at Coe. I'm beat! But it was well worth it. Saw some new flowers today. And the ladybug land experience was super cool.
 

·
I'm a "she".
Joined
·
936 Posts
dan51 said:
Here's some pics.
Wow, I love that picture! It's really unique. Just curious. What camera do you use (light enough to carry on a Coe ride?), and what settings did you use to take that picture?
 

·
aka dan51
Joined
·
6,021 Posts
urinal mint said:
Someone needs to calibrate their cyclocomputer and/or apply some common sense to an erroneous reading like that.
It only read like that after the sun beat on it for 20 minutes while climbing.
After taking a break in the shade for 15 minutes it read 95, along with 2 other computers. Regardless of the reading, it was 1.5 times too hot for me.

mudworm said:
Wow, I love that picture! It's really unique. Just curious. What camera do you use (light enough to carry on a Coe ride?), and what settings did you use to take that picture?
It's a Canon A710 IS. It was just set to automatic when I took it. The camera has done me well.:thumbsup:
 

·
Slowest Rider
Joined
·
5,235 Posts
Ride-Killing Heat

The Henry Coe heat was a ride killer today. Although the weather prediction was for a peak of 90 in the afternoon, I was surprised to see 90 F at 11AM when climbing Jackson! Around noon it was already low 90s in the shady spots with a breeze. But climbing the exposed white reflecting hills with little wind could easily become a blast furnace, with temperatures over 100 F.

I was feeling good around 1PM and wanted to ride a little further, but willingly accepted Dan51's suggestion to bail as rapidly as possible. It was a good thing as many of us ran out of water in the last hour, and a couple of us were crawling back. I went from feeling good to feeling sick in the space of an hour on the way back. Frankly, I started thinking about the 0gre and Fiona's fateful day, and how fast such things can compound and get out of control. I'm now glad we all bailed as quickly as possible. Thanks Dan!

Although we expected to ride around 30 miles and 6000' of climb, I only did 20 miles and 4000' with the bail. I also averaged about 5.0 MPH moving, versus 7.5 MPH at Quicksilver, Santa Teresa, and Sierra Azul. We expected to ride 4 hours, but instead rode 6. What's that Henry Coe-factor again?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
218 Posts
BigLarry said:
What's that Henry Coe-factor again?
It really depends upon which Coe dweeb is spouting nonsense at the time.

Fortunately, rational folks with a broad base of riding experiences simply chuckle at folks who claim that Coe riding is "1.5 times harder than other riding."
 

·
TANSTAAFL
Joined
·
402 Posts
urinal mint said:
It really depends upon which Coe dweeb is spouting nonsense at the time.

Fortunately, rational folks with a broad base of riding experiences simply chuckle at folks who claim that Coe riding is "1.5 times harder than other riding."
one thing for sure, all things being equal.....its the same

Jim
 

·
Slowest Rider
Joined
·
5,235 Posts
More Pictures

I left a little early and got a shot of some other riders passing me on Jackson. I then took a 'shortcut' via Kelly Lake trail that was maybe longer but significantly less difficult than Cross Canyon, and reached the other side with an hour to spare. I took advantage of the time to find a shady spot without weeds because of the pine needles, a nice cooling breeze, and a view. Everyone else went for it too. But it was still 90-92 F in this shade according to our three meters. It was a blast furnace outside the shade.

1. MikeB, Biking Brazilian, and Stichnot climbing Jackson
2. Biking Brazilian and MikeB climbing Cross Canyon.
3. The Law riding 'pretty'
4. Stichnot, Dan51, AddictionMS chilling
5. The Law sitting pretty, and removing a troublesome pine cone
6. Biking Brazilian and MikeB parting ways to go out in the blast furnace to Hoover Lake, the original destination. We bailed at this point and later were very glad we did. I hope they did alright. I had the better filter, but they had a purifier, that was surely needed.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
We made it. The heat was definitely a factor. But we grabbed it by the neck and told it who its daddy was.

The tipping point was Coit Ridge Trail. I cleaned it. About 20 yards of it. Then it was an arduous 1.5-mile uphill walk; if someone claims they've cleaned this trail, like "King of Kong," I'll call BS until I see proof on video.

We "had" to go this way since we ran out of water, ironically, at White Tank Springs. Although I trust my purifier, there was no way I was dunking it in that algae-infested cesspool. So up we went...when we finally got to Coit Lake, we bathed and refilled the CamelBaks, then carried on up Coit Road to Crosscut then out on Wagon to Camp Willson, then down Lyman back to the car.

And to nobody's surprise, Plymmer's car was still there when we left, as it was there when we arrived. He wasn't lying when he said he's "going deep." At first I thought he was going on a hot date, but it was just another (hot) day at Coe.

Here is the MB map that my GPS data logger picked up: http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/episode/view.do?episodePk.pkValue=5929082

My watch, which is more accurate, said we did 4,800 ft. for the day.

Great riding with everyone today!

I "heart" Coe.

What do we have here, another Pete on this thread?!
 

·
Slowest Rider
Joined
·
5,235 Posts
Biking Brazilian said:
We made it. The heat was definitely a factor. But we grabbed it by the neck and told it who its daddy was.

The tipping point was Coit Ridge Trail. I cleaned it. About 20 yards of it. Then it was an arduous 1.5-mile uphill walk; if someone claims they've cleaned this trail, like "King of Kong," I'll call BS until I see proof on video.

We "had" to go this way since we ran out of water, ironically, at White Tank Springs. Although I trust my purifier, there was no way I was dunking it in that algae-infested cesspool. So up we went...when we finally got to Coit Lake, we bathed and refilled the CamelBaks, then carried on up Coit Road to Crosscut then out on Wagon to Camp Willson, then down Lyman back to the car.

And to nobody's surprise, Plymmer's car was still there when we left, as it was there when we arrived. He wasn't lying when he said he's "going deep." At first I thought he was going on a hot date, but it was just another (hot) day at Coe.

Here is the MB map that my GPS data logger picked up: http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/episode/view.do?episodePk.pkValue=5929082

My watch, which is more accurate, said we did 4,800 ft. for the day.

Great riding with everyone today!

I "heart" Coe.

What do we have here, another Pete on this thread?!
I'm glad to see you made it back.

Plymmer is probably out there doing one of his normal weekender's - about 2 or 3 of your big ride today. He has my favorite old GPS to keep him company.

Motion Based Gravity Web estimates altitude from position. So position error can lead to big altitude noise, especially in steep hills like Henry Coe. Gravity Web can easily overestimate climb by 30% as you see. However, Motion Based can be the most accurate estimates of climb if you feed MB good altitude data from a barometric altimeter. (Satellite altimeters can add up to 1000'/hour of climb due to error noise.)

You climbed about 1000' more than me, so 4800' sounds about right.

It was fun to ride with you guys again, and everyone else. It started out good, and ended alright. What else can you say? A good MTB day.

Fun to see everyone today, and 'chill out' at the top of Cross Canyon.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
883 Posts
Biking Brazilian said:
We "had" to go this way since we ran out of water, ironically, at White Tank Springs. Although I trust my purifier, there was no way I was dunking it in that algae-infested cesspool. So up we went...when we finally got to Coit Lake, we bathed and refilled the CamelBaks, then carried on up Coit Road to Crosscut then out on Wagon to Camp Willson, then down Lyman back to the car.

I "heart" Coe.
Me too.

Hey, just curious-- what time did you all get back to your cars?

Dan, those pics would look better with black borders...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
The Law said:
Me too.

Hey, just curious-- what time did you all get back to your cars?

Dan, those pics would look better with black borders...
I think we got back about 4:30. We were pretty spent, and ready to get some place cooler. Good ride though, and Coit Lake saved us. I don't think we would have made with out the refill of water. It was surprisingly tasty.

It was cool meeting everyone!

Good pics!

Mike
 

·
More pie please
Joined
·
1,995 Posts
Thanks for the puffballmania, Dan - cool!

<img border="5" src="https://gallery.mtbr.com/data/mtbr/500/IMG_1260.jpg">



Yesterday I created this parody of my body of photographic "art" - puffballs through the spokes with black border:



///Charlie
 

·
King Of Tooth Tarter
Joined
·
455 Posts
Going Deep

Partial Stats of my Ride:

Start: 8:45 AM
End: 7:00 PM
Total Miles: 53.83 Miles
Partial Ascent: around 8K (I'll have to re-evaluate this. It could've been more but 3 sets of batteries wasn't enough even though they were all charged. Sigh.)

It was real hot out there and I went so deep that I took an extended break at Wasno Road and Wagon Road. I really didn't think I could go any farther. I wanted someone to take me back to my bed and tuck me in. Dead. Maybe they could have feed me too. I rested for a full 1/2 hour.

I did manage to finish off on Grizzly Gulch Trail (as Charlie says, the rejuvenating trail) slower than usual. Every slight hill was difficult but I managed to "suck it up" and get to the end. At the car I rested for another 20 minutes. Ah, the brutality. I'm not near the level I was last year. My fault was, I went so deep that I didn't have time to swim to cool off. I was worried I wouldn't finish and get caught in the dark. I forgot my mininewt light so that was a factor. My legs seemed not too bad but I was feeling a bit sick and sort of spinny.

After a big meal at Giancarlos in Morgen Hill I was feeling more human.

I'm glad every one else was able to get out there. Hell, even Dan51! I guess he really does like the place. Plenty of chance to hone his expert photography skills. Good reports everyone. I always enjoy them.

Long live Coe!

Roy.
 

·
Slowest Rider
Joined
·
5,235 Posts
plymmer said:
Partial Stats of my Ride:

Start: 8:45 AM
End: 7:00 PM
Total Miles: 53.83 Miles
Partial Ascent: around 8K (I'll have to re-evaluate this. It could've been more but 3 sets of batteries wasn't enough even though they were all charged. Sigh.)

It was real hot out there and I went so deep that I took an extended break at Wasno Road and Wagon Road. I really didn't think I could go any farther. I wanted someone to take me back to my bed and tuck me in. Dead. Maybe they could have feed me too. I rested for a full 1/2 hour.

I did manage to finish off on Grizzly Gulch Trail (as Charlie says, the rejuvenating trail) slower than usual. Every slight hill was difficult but I managed to "suck it up" and get to the end. At the car I rested for another 20 minutes. Ah, the brutality. I'm not near the level I was last year. My fault was, I went so deep that I didn't have time to swim to cool off. I was worried I wouldn't finish and get caught in the dark. I forgot my mininewt light so that was a factor. My legs seemed not too bad but I was feeling a bit sick and sort of spinny.

After a big meal at Giancarlos in Morgen Hill I was feeling more human.

I'm glad every one else was able to get out there. Hell, even Dan51! I guess he really does like the place. Plenty of chance to hone his expert photography skills. Good reports everyone. I always enjoy them.

Long live Coe!

Roy.
Roy, I cleaned your tracks and then uploaded to Motion Based for analysis here. The MB results are:

45 miles / 8800' climb/ 6:30 moving/ 8:40 total time

Your power cut out at Wagon and Crest. I suspect you had another 500-700' of climb on Wagon and Grizzly. So with your miles you measured separately, I suspect you did:

54 miles / ~9500' climb/ 8:00 moving/ 10:30 total time

You indeed went deep - about twice as deep as Orestimba Camp which I consider to be on the edge of known Henry Coe. And it looks like the route you took was fairly straight and minimal hills for Henry Coe. Interesting.

I'm impressed you did that much riding in that intense heat. I did less than half of your ride and I was fairly beat at the end as well. I still need to get more accustomed to heat riding this season.

We need to look at your batteries and chargers, as you should have lasted a couple days per pair of AAs on the eTrex Vista, not minutes. And there's other small issues I see in the tracks that I'll discuss directly off line. But thanks for giving my Vista a nice ride. It needed that.

BTW, here's my ride on Motion Based from Sunday.

19.5 miles / 4050' / 3:40 moving / 5:37 total
 
21 - 39 of 39 Posts
Top