Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some pics from my ride with TahoeBC yesterday in Henry Coe. More photos and ride stats on the MTBGuru ride page.

Temperate at the parking lot - 19F on TahoeBC's gage. The ride on the paved road to the Coyote Creek entrance had a rather chilling effect on us. I quickly regained the feeling in my fingers and feet though on the brutal Anza/Jackson climb...

The creek crossings were particularly treacherous this time - requiring a fine balancing act.

Riding on water beats walking on water...

The ice was strong enough for the weight of a bike - not always for the weight of bike+rider as I found out.

TahoeBC taking on the gorgeous Tule Pond trail.

TahoeBC finishing off Serpentine in style

Payoff time for all this climbing: Middle Steer!

It's a fantastic descent.

TahoeBC on Middle Steer

Thanks TahoeBC for a great ride! Some stats:
(btw the elevation gain is more than on the GPS unit's display because we do finer filtering - one can argue about this for a long time but I'll leave that for the GPS board)

Distance (mi) 30.9
Elevation Range (ft) 832 - 2653
Total Ascent (ft) 7904
Total Descent (ft) -7968
Total Ascent Distance (mi) 14.3
Total Descent Distance (mi) 16.6
Moving Time 04h 56m 53s
Stopped Time 01h 27m 34s
Average Speed (mph) 4.8
Average Moving Speed (mph) 6.1
Start Time 2007/01/13 09:06:03
Finish Time 2007/01/13 15:30:30

·
Registered
6,175 Posts
Thanks for dragging along the camera yesterday! The pictures of you on the ice came out better than expected.

Feeling a little out of wack today for some reason? But just got back from an easy 35 mile road spin with several long breaks visting with friends which seems to have sorted things out a bit :D

Edit to add: I just checked my GPS reading from when I did this ride back in November and it had recorded 7,995. So pretty dang close, I was starting to think mine was way off!

·
Nature Rider, Not MTBer
2,695 Posts
Cool pictures! I and some others crossed some of those same creeks yesterday. Quite an experience. My tires slipped out and I went down hard once. Luckily the ice didn't break. Another rider broke through the ice when he was almost across and got a wet foot. Brrrr!

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
TahoeBC said:
Thanks for dragging along the camera yesterday! The pictures of you on the ice came out better than expected.

Feeling a little out of wack today for some reason? But just got back from an easy 35 mile road spin with several long breaks visting with friends which seems to have sorted things out a bit :D
There's still some soreness left in my calves that I need to ride out; this Jim O' Donnell climb does make a lasting impression!

TahoeBC said:
Edit to add: I just checked my GPS reading from when I did this ride back in November and it had recorded 7,995. So pretty dang close, I was starting to think mine was way off!
The final reading you see on the display of the GPS (7200ft) is typically the result of some heavy filtering; the data in MTBGuru and probably also Motionbased is filtered on a finer scale - eg we use a 2m averaging, this filters out noise of the device but still accounts for the small ups and downs on (technical) trails - hence a higher reading (7900ft).

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Plim said:
Cool pictures! I and some others crossed some of those same creeks yesterday. Quite an experience. My tires slipped out and I went down hard once. Luckily the ice didn't break. Another rider broke through the ice when he was almost across and got a wet foot. Brrrr!
Same here - luckily soon after that came one of these endless climbs so my foot could 'defrost'...

·
King Of Tooth Tarter
455 Posts
The Ice, The Ice...

Well, there's still ice on the Cross Canyon Trail. A lot of that creek is still frozen. I was there yesterday and slogged up the George Milias Trail for a second week in a row. I was able to clear the Coit Spring Trail (up). I have to try this Jim Donnelly Trail. Sounds like a challenge. Great pictures. That's how it looked a couple of weeks ago when I was there, then. Amazing.

Roy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.