Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sort of new to Coe. I've done several ~20 mile rides out of the HQ above Anderson, but I've never done a ride out of Hunting Hollow entrance.

Can someone recomend a good ride for Thursday out of HH? 20-25 miles? 3-4 hours? I'm no stranger to a 4000' climing day or steeps. What I'm more concerned with are possible trail closures (singletrack?) due to recent rains and/or creeks too high to cross? It would be good if someone who's ridden recently can jump in. Should I start with JDT if it's open?

Thanks!

·
middle ring single track
4,676 Posts
I'm sort of new to Coe. I've done several ~20 mile rides out of the HQ above Anderson, but I've never done a ride out of Hunting Hollow entrance.

Can someone recomend a good ride for Thursday out of HH? 20-25 miles? 3-4 hours? I'm no stranger to a 4000' climing day or steeps. What I'm more concerned with are possible trail closures (singletrack?) due to recent rains and/or creeks too high to cross? It would be good if someone who's ridden recently can jump in. Should I start with JDT if it's open?

Thanks!
As it looks right now Thursday should be a fine day to be riding at Coe, Hunting Hollow entrance. All single track will be open but you will encounter a few muddy sections. Creeks will be low but at some fords you may get your feet wet.

The JDT (one shallow ford to get to it) is an excellent way to gain some altitude and then there's dozens of routes beyond; the 2 shortest loops (and most popular) are:

• @ top of JDT go R on Steer Ridge Rd>L "Jim Jones" (not bike legal technically)>L Spike Jones Tr (or continue SRR to L on SJT)>L on Timm Tr> L back on SJT> L on Coit Rd> L on GYHS Rd (2 miles paved)> back to HH parking.
  • @ top of JDT go R on Steer Ridge Rd> R Middle Steer Ridge Tr> R LWRT> R HH Rd> HH parking (7 fords)

https://coepark.net/pineridgeassociation/images/maps/Trail_Conditions_local_maps/JDT.jpg

A common strategy is to make as many loops using the JDT as seen fit; it's a nice out-and-back as it is. (Doing this means you can leave extra water/snacks at your car)

Or just go deep; Coit Lake or Pacheco Falls might be within your range; plan for more like 6 hours though.

The crew will be doing trail work on the upper JDT on Thursday; perhaps we'll meet.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Moe Ped! Yeah, Thursday looks good. Warmest day of the week with no rain in the forecast. I'm definitely more interested in "going deep" than a bunch of close to the car loops. I like to ride and hike places that fewer people get to. So maybe Coit Lake or Pacheco Falls will be my goal. And what with the recent rains, it's probably a great time to check out the falls. Looks like there are a lot of different ways to get there and come back, starting up JDT. I'll probably try to roll by 10:00. I'll look for your crew on JDT. I'll be riding a bright red SC Tallboy and aside from the camelback, I'll look a lot more like a roadie than a MTBer... :)

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ride Report

Hey Moe Ped! It was nice meeting you today on the trail. You and your team were doing a great job of trail work on the upper part of JDT.

I didn't make it to Pacheco Falls. My knee was bothering me a bit and knowing my return route was new to me and of unknown (to me) difficulty, I decided to just go to Coit Lake this time. I can now see that a longer/deeper route is definitely doable. I had plenty in the tank when I got back to my truck. Here's the route I took...

https://www.strava.com/activities/815205439

4 hours elapsed and 3 hours riding time.

I had a pretty interesting descent of Serpentine trail as all of a sudden I found myself riding through a panicking herd of 20-30 wild pigs/piglets. They were squealing and tearing off through the bushes all around me. Unfortunately the disappeared into the bush quicker than I could get my phone out to take a picture.

I did try to make it more interesting by doing a couple of singletrack climbs instead of the roads. Tule Pond Trail and Kelly Lake Trail. I ended up having to push the bike up parts of those as they got pretty steep.

Thanks again for your help. My next ride will be a bit easier now that I've beaten around some of the bushes there...

Greg

·
middle ring single track
4,676 Posts
Hey Moe Ped! It was nice meeting you today on the trail. You and your team were doing a great job of trail work on the upper part of JDT.

I didn't make it to Pacheco Falls. My knee was bothering me a bit and knowing my return route was new to me and of unknown (to me) difficulty, I decided to just go to Coit Lake this time. I can now see that a longer/deeper route is definitely doable. I had plenty in the tank when I got back to my truck. Here's the route I took...

https://www.strava.com/activities/815205439

4 hours elapsed and 3 hours riding time.

I had a pretty interesting descent of Serpentine trail as all of a sudden I found myself riding through a panicking herd of 20-30 wild pigs/piglets. They were squealing and tearing off through the bushes all around me. Unfortunately the disappeared into the bush quicker than I could get my phone out to take a picture.

I did try to make it more interesting by doing a couple of singletrack climbs instead of the roads. Tule Pond Trail and Kelly Lake Trail. I ended up having to push the bike up parts of those as they got pretty steep.

Thanks again for your help. My next ride will be a bit easier now that I've beaten around some of the bushes there...

Greg
Glad you had an eventful ride! Looks like you made a good average speed.

The piggies will be reported to the authorities; they've been frequenting the Tule and Rodeo Pond areas as of late.

Paul

1 - 5 of 5 Posts