Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

The fiance is out of town for a week so i've been planning a Coe camping/ bikepacking trip for the weekend of Oct 21-22. Have a route to Hoover Lake planned out but was hoping for some info on the water situation right now. Ill have my 100oz bladder and a water filter with me.

Proposed route would be to start at HH- Lyman Willson Ridge Trail - Willson Camp - Wagon Road - Rodeo Pond. At this point I have couple options- stay on Wagon up to Wasno Road/Pond, or head up Grizzly Gulch and take Thule Pond Trail to Wagon Road. From Wasno - Kelly Lake Trail - Coit Road - Coit Lake Trail - Coit Dam Road - Willow Ridge Road- Hoover Lake Trail - Hoover Lake. Camp at Hoover lake, or descend back down Willow Ridge Road to Coit Lake and camp there if time/light permits.

This route is largely uphill on day 1, but I get the tradeoff of some really extended downhills on the return trip back to the car. Google Earth is giving me around 13.5 miles if I do the run up to Hoover lake and return to Coit to camp. Elevation gain of around 4500ft.

Can anyone spare any advice on improvements to the route or regarding water availability or the tick situation? Would greatly appreciate any input.

Thanks

·
Spin-stabilized
1,494 Posts
Lucky dog! I've been meaning to get out there for a night or two of camping this fall but my sched won't allow it. How much gear are you hauling? From your route, it looks like a pretty low-key ride except the Lyman Wilson climb. If I were you, I'll try to start early and stash my cargo somewhere really close to Hoover lake and then do a loop on as much singletrack as possible. I would then come back for my gear and head to camp. I've never thoroughly enjoyed riding Coe's narrow trails with a loaded bike. Check out the most recent Coe threads though. I thought I saw a pic of a very dry Hoover Lake. Oh yeah, I don't recommend going UP Tule Pond trail from Grizzly Gulch to Wasno unless you want to push.

Be safe out there and have fun!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ive read a few of your bikepacking threads here- especially like the Mississippi lake one from 2007. Good stuff. Ill be carrying 13lbs, minus the weight of water. It all goes in a frame pack, in a small stuff sack under the bars and a medium drysack strapped to a rear rack. Have my Hawg for water and food. Thanks for the advice on staying on Wasno instead of Thule Pond- appreciate it.

Any suggestions for single track around the Hoover lake area? Ive never been up that end before so dont really know the layout. Maps and google earth are good, but i cant quite visualize it.

Cheers

·
Registered
668 Posts
Hi all

The fiance is out of town for a week so i've been planning a Coe camping/ bikepacking trip for the weekend of Oct 21-22. Have a route to Hoover Lake planned out but was hoping for some info on the water situation right now. Ill have my 100oz bladder and a water filter with me.

Proposed route would be to start at HH- Lyman Willson Ridge Trail - Willson Camp - Wagon Road - Rodeo Pond. At this point I have couple options- stay on Wagon up to Wasno Road/Pond, or head up Grizzly Gulch and take Thule Pond Trail to Wagon Road. From Wasno - Kelly Lake Trail - Coit Road - Coit Lake Trail - Coit Dam Road - Willow Ridge Road- Hoover Lake Trail - Hoover Lake. Camp at Hoover lake, or descend back down Willow Ridge Road to Coit Lake and camp there if time/light permits.

This route is largely uphill on day 1, but I get the tradeoff of some really extended downhills on the return trip back to the car. Google Earth is giving me around 13.5 miles if I do the run up to Hoover lake and return to Coit to camp. Elevation gain of around 4500ft.

Can anyone spare any advice on improvements to the route or regarding water availability or the tick situation? Would greatly appreciate any input.

Thanks
There's plenty of water at Pacheco Camp (nearby, looks clean but you probably want to filter). Hoover Lake agua should be okay with filtering or boiling, though it may have a funny, scum infused taste. Coit Lake is not too far off either. Ticks are no problem.

If you camp at Hoover Lake, you just need to ride White Tank and Rose Dam, fun singletrack/descents leading to the Pacheco Creek (and camp). Willow Ridge trail (not: road) is a great singletrack descent as well, but it drops you quite deep, into Coyote Creek, with some tough climbing to get back out. And as bailout said, you probably may not want to try climb Tule Pond trail on a loaded bike, though it may be an entertaining challenge..

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I would camp at Coit Lake, and then visit Hoover Lake area as a side-trip. Coit is a deep and large lake, and Hoover Lake is more like a scum-filled pond at this point (it's not too bad, but Coit is much nicer).

From Coit and Willow Ridge intersection (a fairly short climb above Kelly Lake), go east down Coit for a short bit to the Coit Lake perimeter trail (take the first left on a double-track and you will go along the left side of the lake). Watch out for a big bulldozing-berm-bump on the right side of the road on the way down Coit to the perimeter trail - it's big, unexpected on a flat fireroad, and I almost ate it there - it's hidden in the shade. You will find a couple nice camping spots, and the perimeter trail is now clear of poison oak thanks to skyline35. There are restrooms, one along the perimeter trail (where it goes from double-track to single-track), and one at the dam.

Set up camp, then go visit Hoover Lake (the climb from the dam to Willow Ridge is short but steep), go down White Tank trail to Rose Dam trail (or all the way down White Tank), stop by Pacheco Camp (or skip it if you took White Tank), climb Coit road to Coit Ridge trail, then go down that to Coit Dam trail - it will drop you down to the dam. That last intersection (Coit Ridge & Coit Dam trails) can easily be missed, it's an unmarked left along a swoopy grassy ridge top - if you start heading right and steeply down, or get to any brush, then you've gone too far. The safer alternative as far as route-finding is to just take Coit road, but make sure to pay close attention and turn right on Coit road as opposed to going straight, which is the start of Wagon road.

·
Spin-stabilized
1,494 Posts
Neilp1- I see the merit of camping at the Hoover Lake area despite the scummy water. There's access to good vistas just north of the airstrip whereas you'll be in an enclosed valley flanked by fire roads at Coit.

I'll defer to the true Coe fans here (locoyokel and El Hombre) as far as what trails to hit while waiting for the sun to go down. I have a tendency to string silly routes together but I'd probably ride down Willow Ridge trail to Lost Springs then visit China Hole. Depending on how much time I have, I might persuade myself to do a middle ridge loop or at least a trip up to then down Cougar, then back out to willow ridge road somehow...if still camping around Hoover, but that's just me.

·
Medium?
6,732 Posts
I would camp at Coit Lake, and then visit Hoover Lake area as a side-trip. Coit is a deep and large lake, and Hoover Lake is more like a scum-filled pond at this point (it's not too bad, but Coit is much nicer).

Set up camp, then go visit Hoover Lake (the climb from the dam to Willow Ridge is short but steep), go down White Tank trail to Rose Dam trail (or all the way down White Tank), stop by Pacheco Camp (or skip it if you took White Tank), climb Coit road to Coit Ridge trail, then go down that to Coit Dam trail - it will drop you down to the dam. That last intersection (Coit Ridge & Coit Dam trails) can easily be missed, it's an unmarked left along a swoopy grassy ridge top - if you start heading right and steeply down, or get to any brush, then you've gone too far. The safer alternative as far as route-finding is to just take Coit road, but make sure to pay close attention and turn right on Coit road as opposed to going straight, which is the start of Wagon road.
This is what I'd do too. We saw a fishing demo at Coit Lake last weekend. If you have _any_ interest in fishing, it would be totally worth it. Catch-and-release with barbless hooks is the recommendation. I'd like to get out there with a mask and snorkel sometime.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
There was a controlled burn on Middle Ridge today that you could probably see the results from up there. Binoculars would be worth weight. Stargazing can be quite good up at Hoover. But don't expect too much from Hoover Lake. It's not a lake. The name is actually a joke. This pond dries up completely most years. The water is filled with life. If it were me, I'd fill up with enough water for the night at a clearer source, like Pacheco Camp, and bring it up there. I've camped a lot in Coe, and it is almost always better to be up high than in a damp cold valley. Please ride the Hoover Lake Trail. It needs to be used.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Guys

Thanks so much for the tips. Really appreciate it. Im liking the idea of staging my gear at camp and doing single-track unloaded. I added the white tank spring trail-rose dam trail- pacheco camp - coit road - coit ridge trail- coit dam trails to my gps map. Looks like a real nice section (other than the climb up coit ridge, but i guess thats the payment for the rose dam trail downhill).

Cheers

·
More Torque
2,037 Posts
A visit to Hoover is recommended, but as others have mentioned, it is not a great water source right now. Pacheco camp would be #1, followed by Coit lake. Camping at Hoover would be OK, but there are better spots.

Camping at Coit Lake is nice, since there are 2 outhouses there, along with a picnic bench. Lots of great sounds from the coots and other birds on the water. The downside is that it often gets colder and damper there due to it it being a bit of a basin.

One of my favorite camp spots is right off of Wagon Road, on a small spur road that's not shown on the map. It has awesome 180 degree views of the sunrise, and it tends to be warmer and drier than other locations, during normal weather patterns.

Have fun out there.

-D

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Man, that is some camp site. Incredible view. Added as a waypoint on the gps. Really appreciate the info

Is Fish and Game trail open to bikes? Or is it for, you know, Fish and Game?

Cheers

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.