Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't even touch a bike over the weekend, and no hikes either, so I was super psyched to get a pre-rain day in today. Decided to check out one of the places I hadn't been in Coe - Bear Mountain.

A beautiful sunrise on the way up to Coe Ranch:

Cruising down Middle Ridge:

The fun Schafer Corral trail:

The view downstream:

A dead falcon in the creek bed at the bottom of Schafer Corral:

Close-up:

A newt along the flats just before the Bear Mountain hill climb. There's some long, deep creek crossings in that section.

The infamous (for a reason!) Bear Mountain wall:

Very annoying burnt brush about 150yds down the eastern Bear Mountain Spring trail. I decided to just go back to the western one, which was a good call.

A shooting star along Bear Mountain Spring road (gotta love California - wildflowers in early January!):

Mississippi Lake:

Willow RIdge trail:

Nice tree on the Lost Spring trail:

More early January flowers:

Ticks on a piece of grass:

The obligatory China Hole shot:

Very nice sunset on the road down:

The Jackson trail crew inspired me to bring my saw and go after a tree along the Narrows. It was bigger, and tougher, than it looks - it took 26 minutes to cut and haul:

I also took 10 minutes to saw and clear an oak bush/tree on the western Bear Mountain Spring Trail, although a huge tree right above the spring requires a walk-around (which is pretty cool since you are on top of a little waterfall).

Winter (leafless) poision oak shoots are poking into several trails here and there.

Total of 9 hours on the dot, 6:10 moving, and 34.3 miles. Don't know on the elevation.

·
NedwannaB
12,791 Posts
Wowzerz!

locoyokel said:
Decided to check out one of the places I hadn't been in Coe - Bear Mountain.

The infamous (for a reason!) Bear Mountain wall:

Total of 9 hours on the dot, 6:10 moving, and 34.3 miles. Don't know on the elevation.
Sunrise to sunset. What a ride! That wall does look inviting though.....:thumbsup:

Thx for the pix.

·
Premium Member
8,633 Posts
JMac47 said:
So I take it you were on the SS for that ride?:nono: Fockerz. They do like you though right??:confused:
HAHAHAHA....no.....absolutely not.....

i had granny and still walked a lot of that nonsense....saw Plymmer actually tip over still clipped in.....that was awesome....:thumbsup:

we were about 6K' into that ride when we rolled up on that damn hill....it was a loooong day....

·
Premium Member
8,633 Posts
JMac47 said:
When's the planned rematch with that beeyotch?? (the wall I mean!)
pfffft....:p

i can barely do 2500 footies now.....that wall will not be challenged by me for some time....

talk to Plymmer...or Charlie...or Tahoe BC....or fourarm....or locoyokel....or Menso...or J.L....or rensho.....or grrrrahh...or jeffh....or kpd.....etc...etc...etc....

;)

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hah! Maybe one of the others...I thought I did well just getting about 100 feet up that main hill! At the very bottom, you cross a deep little pool of water (enough to get wet - again - but you're already soaked by then), then immediately start up a fairly steep grade, which mellows out after a few hundred yards, then turns to that main hill. It's rutted (not too bad), but a bit loose, and so steep that I would burn out even if the traction was perfect.

It might be a perfect hill for a single speed - as long as that single speed was geared even lower than the lowest granny gear I've ever seen. But it wouldn't be much fun getting there going along flats at 2mph the whole way...

·
I'm a "she".
936 Posts
Locoyokel, thanks for taking us along on another of adventure of yours! It would be nice if your ride report were accompanied by route descriptions. The very few seasoned Coe'rs might be able to figure it out based on the sequence of your photos, but maybe after seeing that picture of Bear Mountain Wall, many other people are now dying to go and repeat your route.

BTW, not sure if you are watching that thread, I just posted a friend's video to the homemade videos thread and thought you might appreciate watching it.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Doh! I forgot to include the route!

Coe Ranch Headquarters - Manzanita Point - Flat Frog - Hobbs Road - Middle Ridge Trail - Poverty Flat Road - Shafer Corral Trail - Narrows Trail - Bear Mountain Road - Bear Mountain - started down Bear Spring Trail east, turned around, back to Bear Mountain Road heading west - Bear Spring Trail west (unlabeled on the big Coe map) past Bear Spring to WIllow Ridge Road (at Mississippi Lake) - Willow Ridge Road along Mississippi Lake and all the way to Willow Ridge Trail - Willow Ridge Trail - Narrows Trail to Los Cruzeros - Mahoney Meadows Road - Lost Spring Trail - China Hole Trail - Manzanita Point Road - HQ

Some notes on signposts along that route:
- the sign at the north end of the Narrows trail (intersection of Blue Ridge, Bear Mountain Road, Rock House Ridge) actually calls it Shafer Corral trail instead of the Narrows.
- only the western Bear Spring Trail has a signpost at the start
- at the intersection of the western and eastern Bear Spring Trail, the combined trail to the south is labeled Bear Spring Road on a signpost (there's a white water trough and old burnt corral there too).

·
Medium?
6,731 Posts
locoyokel said:
- the sign at the north end of the Narrows trail (intersection of Blue Ridge, Bear Mountain Road, Rock House Ridge) actually calls it Shafer Corral trail instead of the Narrows.
I wondered about that. The Narrows is the section from Los Cruzeros to China Hole. I don't know if it's on the park map or not.

Chum is dead to me now for not putting me on that list.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The big Coe map (2006 edition) has the trail from Los Cruzeros to the Bear Mtn/Blue Ridge/Rockhouse Ridge intersection marked "Narrows Trail", then the true Narrows itself (from China Hole to Los Cruzeros) is called "The Narrows" and the trail line is the "obscure trail" type dotted line. The big map labels Shafer Corral as only the downhill from Poverty Flat Road, which makes a lot more sense than a trail along a creek suddenly changing names.

Here's what nature has to say about our trail name debates:

(that's the trail marker to Bear Spring at the intersection of the 2 Bear Spring trails and the Bear Spring Road from Mississippi Lake)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.