Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone coming / Riding from Orestimba this weekend? My family and I will be there and would love to ride with others, especially families (I'll be w/ wife, 11 yr old riding a 2008 Gary Fisher Hifi 29er, and a 9 year old riding a 24" Riprock Pro). If I remember right there's a loop via Kennedy Lake...but might be a little rough for my 9 year old...(https://www.strava.com/activities/7600247#141766340). Any other fun loops folks know/like?

·
Registered
134 Posts
I quit going because every year less and less open to bikes. Are you sure that route is even open to bikes this weekend?

The ride out to Kingbird was fairly mild from my memory.

·
loopy counter
872 Posts
Maybe you mean Mississippi Lake? No Kennedy there. And for that you can do mostly mild graded fireroad.

Fun: Turkey Pond, Max Corral.
Adventurous: Tie Down.
Explore: Walsh Peak.
No fun: Kaiser Aetna.

Pliebenburg will probably chip in, he and other volunteers have been busy on other trails.

·
More Torque
2,037 Posts
I quit going because every year less and less open to bikes. Are you sure that route is even open to bikes this weekend?

The ride out to Kingbird was fairly mild from my memory.
Which trails out there used to be open to bikes, but are now closed?

Not good if trails are being lost...

-D

·
Registered
134 Posts

-D
Example; Ormsted Creek Rd North of the Corral. Which killed loops via Mustang peak. As it was much nicer to come back that road then climb back to Mustang Peak from the ponds. It seemed like every year more bike restrictions for that weekend. Have to keep the squidly horsey folks safe.

Again I do not know the rules for this year. I haven't been in 4 years or more.

Hopefully someone will come along with current info.

·
More pie please
2,010 Posts

-D
Last year there were thoughts of closing Mustang Cut Off...

Why this line of thinking is all wrong was (somewhat) tragically illustrated at Henry W Coe's recent Back Country Weekend.

This dude (riding by himself) is bombing down a multi-use (and quite wide) trail; totally in the zone, doesn't see 2 equestrians coming uphill nor hear the shouts of hikers warning of trouble ahead. The biker finally gets his head out of his ass in time to skid to a stop between the horses (mules actually). The mules took it upon themselves to get out of they way and both mule riders hit the ground and both had to be transported to hospital. (Serious concussion for one rider and a broken wrist requiring plates and screws for the other)

Beyond this point the dude was a class act, went to get help, offered to pay out-of-pocket medical expenses and was very remorseful. But this has put in motion that by next year's event the trail will be closed to bikes. (Rangers said closure is to be only DH direction but that never happens at Coe; the trails get totally closed to bikes)

So this will add Mustang Cut Off Tr (0.5 mi) to the list of trails @ Coe closed due to biker bad behavior; Frog Lake Tr (1.0 mi), Alquist Tr (1.7 mi) and the Orestimba Creek Tr (1.9 mi). Frog Lake and Alquist are examples of trails that were supposed to be one way closures but got the full treatment instead.
...so there's that possibility.

I rode Mustang Cut Off last Saturday and didn't see any No Bike signage.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Francis, it's the one time a year that they open up Kaiser Aetna fire road into the backcountry...tons of people backpack, camp at Orestimba Coral etc. It's a great chance to access remote parts of Coe that are really hard to get to otherwise.

·
More Torque
2,037 Posts
What is Coe Backcountry Weekend?
Francis, it's the one time a year that they open up Kaiser Aetna fire road into the backcountry...tons of people backpack, camp at Orestimba Coral etc. It's a great chance to access remote parts of Coe that are really hard to get to otherwise.
Here's the link to the official site.

Given the increase in popularity of the event, there has been less "advertising" each year.

-D

·
More Torque
2,037 Posts
Example; Ormsted Creek Rd North of the Corral. Which killed loops via Mustang peak. As it was much nicer to come back that road then climb back to Mustang Peak from the ponds. It seemed like every year more bike restrictions for that weekend. Have to keep the squidly horsey folks safe.

Again I do not know the rules for this year. I haven't been in 4 years or more.

Hopefully someone will come along with current info.
Last year there were thoughts of closing Mustang Cut Off...

...so there's that possibility.

I rode Mustang Cut Off last Saturday and didn't see any No Bike signage.
Interesting info, guys, thanks.

Sobering reminder to be safe and courteous.

-D

·
Mtbr Founder
35,500 Posts
Here's the link to the official site.

Given the increase in popularity of the event, there has been less "advertising" each year.

-D
Right on. So my new buddy Glenn Adams will be there. He's only been in the area 3 years but he is visiting every single trail in Coe. He was on normal bikes, now sometimes using ebikes. Amazing guy.

Says he's seen three mountain lion at Coe since Oct. Big ones.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Right on. So my new buddy Glenn Adams will be there. He's only been in the area 3 years but he is visiting every single trail in Coe. He was on normal bikes, now sometimes using ebikes. Amazing guy.

Says he's seen three mountain lion at Coe since Oct. Big ones.
Sounds like a cool guy...have him stop bye and say hi. We'll be camping in the Coral. . . Easiest way to recognize our family is from the 11 year old on a 29er...

·
loopy counter
872 Posts
As long as we’re asking for trail advice, anyone been on Heritage, Dog, or Canteen trails lately? I rode Pacheco Creek Trail a month ago, the north was under maintained but once south of Rat Spring it was quality.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.