Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
More pie please
2,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
TahoeBC said:
Post up your Coe Photo's from the weekend if ya got em.

Okay! On Saturday, locoyokel and I rode out to see the wrecking ball on Willow Ridge
Road. The awesome weather continues and Coe was busy. We saw lots of hikers and
bikers. It was also BackCountry Weekend so a few were participating in that.

On the way out, locoyokel and I finally got the fallen pine on the Hoover Lake Trail:

Next we headed over to Pacheco Ridge to ride Phoneline, and also to look for Ridge Trail
(still, no luck). At the point where we stopped to look for the beginning of the Ridge Trail,
we saw this large (5") example of a Horned Toad:

After a small adventure trying to follow the Mudd Spring Trail, we get to one of my favorite
parts of the Park, the Pacheco Creek basin:

It's nice to ride:

But soon, we are on the dreaded Willow Ridge Road, aka Rollers. It's bad.:

Our destination; the wrecking ball:

Look, the wrecking ball is visible from space:

After that stop, it's Willow Ridge Road again to get back to the cars. locoyokel is a little
dot trying to get up the hill. It's bad. It's really bad. True fact; this road was initially
included in the Hard COEre 100 route but no one finished the 100 mile event until after the
route was modified to delete this bit. ;-)

We made it back well before sunset. I hope more post up pics...

///Charlie

Start at Hunting Hollow » Gilroy Hot Springs Road » Coyote Creek gate » Coit Road »
Anza Trail » Jackson Trail » Elderberry Spring Trail (lower) » Rock Tower Trail »
Elderberry Spring Trail (upper) » Jackson Road » Wasno Road » Kelly Lake Trail » Kelly
Lake » Coit Road » Coit Lake Perimeter Trail (west side of lake) » Coit Dam Trail » Willow
Ridge Road » Hoover Lake Trail » Hoover Lake » Hoover Airstrip » White Tank Trail »
Rose Dam Trail » Pacheco Creek Trail » Pacheco Camp » Coit Road » Pacheco Ridge
Road » Phoneline Trail » Coit Road » Pacheco Ridge Road » Mudd Spring Trail »
Pacheco Creek Trail » Willow Ridge Road » Willow Ridge Trail » Narrows Trail » Mahoney
Meadows Road » Lost Spring Trail » Mahoney Meadows Road » Coit Road » Cross Canyon
Trail » Coit Springs Trail » Grapevine Trail » Anza Trail » Coit Road » Coyote Creek gate »
Gilroy Hot Springs Road » Hunting Hollow parking. 9:20 / 6:16 / 37.16 / 7,017'

Weather data from San Martin (which is the closest official weather station to Hunting
Hollow that I’ve found)

Weather Conditions for: CW2978 San Martin, CA (C2978) Elev: 279 ft; Latitude: 37.0753; Longitude: -121.6167

·
More Torque
2,029 Posts
Thanks for taking out the tree on Hoover Lake trail, guys. It was on my hit list for the day, but you beat me to it.

It took me about 45 minutes to punch a hole through the one at the bottom of white tank.

My route: HH --> Lyman --> Willson Camp --> Grizzly Gulch --> Tule Pond --> Wagon --> Pacheco Falls --> Wagon --> Pacheco Camp --> White Tank --> Hoover Airstrip --> Hoover Lake Trail --> Willow Ridge --> Milias --> Kelly Cabin Canyon --> Kelly Lake --> Kelly Lake Trail --> Wasno --> Dexter --> Grizzly Gulch --> HH

Beautiful day in the park.

-D

Attachments

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Nice work on the big tree Diesel! The Hoover Lake trail one was super easy compared to that - our biggest problem was keeping the rest of the tree from rolling down over the trail (no place for it to go below the trail).

Loads of flowers, but mostly not-so-dense fields of flowers that looked great as you rolled past, but not great in close-up.

Here's some photos:

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
Nice! to many fun things to do and not enough time. Thanks for the work on white tank, was even a bit of a struggle hiking around that one last week, that was a pretty big tree!

·
aka dan51
6,021 Posts
We had an awesome 2 day weekend out there doing the Coe back country with JL.

Here were our routes. text copied from an email exchange with Charlie where he filled in the names of things.
From Orestimba Corral:
Day 1
Obscure cutoff trail (Mustang Cutoff) >fireroad (Country Line Road) >Dutch’s>Purple Pond>Dutch’s>Yellow Jacket>Tie Down>North Fork>Kaiser Aetna>Sherrers (up??? Wow) >some fireroad (Center Flats Road) >Burra Burra>Kaiser Aetna>Doudy Ranch>Mack’s Corral>North Fork>Kaiser Aetna (ugh) >Orestimba Corral

Day 2
Kaiser Aetna>Right onto some fireroad (Country Line Road) >Right onto some obscure trail, I think with chicken in the name. It was pure hike a bike (Turkey Pond Trail, up!?!?! ) >fireroad to Mississippi Lake(Country Line Road) > out and back to Bear Spring>some fireroad (Willow Ridge Road) to Mississippi ridge trail>Coit Rd>back to camp

Lots of hike-a-bike, but overall was some excellent Coe riding. Best trail of the weekend was the out and back to Bear Spring. Beautiful back there right now.

We tried a little bit of tree cutting on Turkey Pond, but there were about 10 trees down and it looked so rarely used that we just kept on moving.
There was a tree down on Dutch I did some work on. Got about 3/4 of the way through removing it when Shiloh and JL started to get antsy and wanted to move on.

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
Hmmmm, I see a pattern....

d-bug said:
We had an awesome 2 day weekend out there doing the Coe back country with JL.

Here were our routes. text copied from an email exchange with Charlie where he filled in the names of things.
From Orestimba Corral:
Day 1
Obscure cutoff trail (Mustang Cutoff) >fireroad (Country Line Road) >Dutch’s>Purple Pond>Dutch’s>Yellow Jacket>Tie Down>North Fork>Kaiser Aetna>Sherrers (up??? Wow) >some fireroad (Center Flats Road) >Burra Burra>Kaiser Aetna>Doudy Ranch>Mack’s Corral>North Fork>Kaiser Aetna (ugh) >Orestimba Corral

Day 2
Kaiser Aetna>Right onto some fireroad (Country Line Road) >Right onto some obscure trail, I think with chicken in the name. It was pure hike a bike (Turkey Pond Trail, up!?!?! ) >fireroad to Mississippi Lake(Country Line Road) > out and back to Bear Spring>some fireroad (Willow Ridge Road) to Mississippi ridge trail>Coit Rd>back to camp

Lots of hike-a-bike, but overall was some excellent Coe riding. Best trail of the weekend was the out and back to Bear Spring. Beautiful back there right now.

We tried a little bit of tree cutting on Turkey Pond, but there were about 10 trees down and it looked so rarely used that we just kept on moving.
There was a tree down on Dutch I did some work on. Got about 3/4 of the way through removing it when Shiloh and JL started to get antsy and wanted to move on.

....For being a "Coe-Hater" you sure are out there a lot Dan. ;)

BIG thanks to all who are working the trails of Coe, you know who you are. GREAT JOB!
I'd like to do a "Show me yours and I'll show you mine" ride sometime this Fall.....
For another thread though. :)

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Snapshots from around the park on BCW wknd

Random shots from the weekend.

D-Bug, I finished off that tree fallen by **** Creek at the bottom of Dutchs.

Nice weather, apart from the cold nights.

I pledge to always carry a swim-suit, and permission to use it.

I also carry a saw.

·
More pie please
2,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ha, ha, look at my tracks through the grass, I'm all over the place:

It's a wonder I can stay on single track!

Thanks all for the Coe pictures !!!
///Charlie

p.s. let me add a couple pictures from last Wednesday, a Pacific Treefrog at Los Cruzeros, and some more Goldfields:

·
aka dan51
6,021 Posts
DMFT said:
....For being a "Coe-Hater" you sure are out there a lot Dan. ;)
Amazing how that happens...

Paul, thanks for finishing off the tree. I was feeling guilty leaving it mostly done :blush:

·
Ariolimax columbianus
1,635 Posts
went out there twice last week and on each ride had to witness one of my riding partners swim nude in kelly lake......no pics but y'all can imagine. heard a rattlesnake comin down cross canyon looked back and it was 3 ft away....

i noticed a bunch of firepits around kelly lake, what's up w/that?

·
More Torque
2,029 Posts
nativeson said:
i noticed a bunch of firepits around kelly lake, what's up w/that?
Not legal, and sometimes enforced at night by the backcountry rangers. It irks the rangers, as they have mentioned to me a few times.

Lots of camping activity there lately; there were two large dome tents and about 12 folks present when I went by at 3:30pm on Sat.

-D

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
The Back County Weekend with Dan and Shiloh was great. We made it in the Honda minivan through several creek crossings all the way on the Kaiser Aetna Road to the Orestimba Corral.

Saturday's highlights were going down Dutch's Trail, visiting Purple Pond, finding Burra Burra Trail (I think we were the first to ride it this year) and going down Mack's Corral Trail. Not to forget learning the names and stories behind several wildflowers we saw along the way.

Sunday we made it out to Bear Spring, there was still water flowing in the small waterfall there, and returned via Mississippi Ridge, another one of those trails that hardly anyone rides, plowing our way through fields of grass and flowers or slaloming around burned out, but quickly regrowing Mansanita bushes. The Henry Coe Park map was definitely needed a few times to help us find direction of the trails.

Maybe Shiloh can post a few of her pictures?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts