Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Big trip out West (from Michigan)! I'll be in Buffalo area July 5-7, Cody July 8-10 , Jackson July 15-18. Wife prefers me not to ride solo. Any suggestions for these areas would be appreciated. Prefer singletrack. Done lots of research but it's nice to hear from locals. Didn't find much on Cody riding. Also anyone who might want to hook up for a ride in any of these areas email me. [email protected]

·
Registered
978 Posts
There is a little trail guide for Cody that I found at a bike shop in town. It lists at least one ride for the bighorns, the Shell area I think. It seems like there are about 10-15 rides listed, mostly in the Cody area and surrounding mountains. I think the guide was only a couple of bucks. I haven't ridden any of the trails there but I grew up there, and go back periodically to visit my folks. I keep thinking I'll bring the bikes one of these times.

·
over researcher
1,158 Posts
I don't know if you'll be able to check this thread, as you're already on vacation, but here it goes. I rode Shadow Mountain between Jackson & Moran on July 5th. The bottom mile or two of the climb is very powdery and dusty due to vehicle traffic. You'll reach the top of the climb @ 3.6 miles and head West down some beautiful singletrack. Unfortunately, the singletrack has several areas where people have cut corners and turned it into double track. That really irritates me, so on one section I did my usual trail maintenance of piling on branchs and logs on the inside track. It's a quick, fun 7.4-ish mile loop. I rode it twice. You can't ask for better views of the Tetons either. There is a distinct spot where the trail forks. You should go left at that section. I did it both directions and enjoyed the left version better. The climb up is easy, with only 1400 feet of climbing, but you top out at 8250 feet, so if you'll feel it if you're not used to the elevation and decide to hammer it.

The original plan was to ride Black Canyon which is just South of the Teton Pass on Hwy 22. However, it was starting to sprinkle on us on our way to there from our cabin in the GTNP on Pacific Creek Road at the Moran entrance, so we decided to do Shadow Mountain instead.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.