Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Some Assembly Required
4,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed that my Nomad is almost over whelmed by the power of my Codes. As I'm heading down hill into a switch back w/a left or right turn, I notice it's very easy to make the rear come up and around with me. This bike is noticeably lighter when your in the air as well. I've come around turns and literally felt myself throw the bike around it due to being clipped in. Now as I get more & more used to this It will become an asset, but when it happens unexpectedly it can be a liability. Anyhoo, I've been riding the Codes for a yr now on my VP Free so I am well versed in their modulation and power, I guess it's due to the Nomads lighter characteristics...???

·
Some Assembly Required
4,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have come to a conclusion. When I thought my Codes were too strong for my Nomad I was running Kenda Small Block 8's tires, (very little knob height, made for hard pack). I have since changed back to my standard tires Michy 2.8/ft, Nevy 2.5/bk. After changing bk to the knobbier tires, the Codes don't seem near as over whelming for the Nomad. Point is; knobbier tires can handle stronger brakes than slicker tires.

·
KEEP ROLLING
379 Posts
i take it you only use your back break. like a man with one hand should ? i would go with a smaller rotor. I have the 08 juicy 5 with a 185mm rotor back and front i do feel this size rotor is to strong for my back its easy to lock the back break on a moderately loose dirt stony decent. i run kenda nevegal on the front and an maxxis ardent on the back 35 psi on the back and 39 on the front. i will experiment with a keneda for the back when i have destroyed the ardent.

BTW FYI my friend has the small block 8 on his heckler and i ripped a hole threw it last night doing a bunny hop that nicked the pavement at an angle "dumb ass move" instead of a snake bite it ripped a hole straight threw the tire. With a closer inspection i noticed how thin those tires actually are.

·
Some Assembly Required
4,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
congarong said:
i take it you only use your back break. like a man with one hand should ? i would go with a smaller rotor. I have the 08 juicy 5 with a 185mm rotor back and front i do feel this size rotor is to strong for my back its easy to lock the back break on a moderately loose dirt stony decent. i run kenda nevegal on the front and an maxxis ardent on the back 35 psi on the back and 39 on the front. i will experiment with a keneda for the back when i have destroyed the ardent.

BTW FYI my friend has the small block 8 on his heckler and i ripped a hole threw it last night doing a bunny hop that nicked the pavement at an angle "dumb ass move" instead of a snake bite it ripped a hole straight threw the tire. With a closer inspection i noticed how thin those tires actually are.
Actually Congarong I use both brakes and a grip shift for the rear and a trigger shifter for the ft AND hold on w/one hand. :D Yep the Small Blocks are thin and have virtually no rolling resistance to them at all. This also = little to no grip during hard braking in my experience. My Codes seemed to overwhelm my Nomad when I had the Small Blocks on it.

Attachments

·
nopavement
59 Posts
makes sense, I am running 2.35 Nev Stick-e's f & r, must be why the 7" rotors work well with them. Do you run the 2.8 / 2.5 for all mountain riding? Must be heavy?

·
Some Assembly Required
4,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
congarong said:
damn !!!! that is a setup that demands respect !!! i cant get my head around it .. can you adjust the codes on the fly as well ?
Yep adjustable on th' fly. Thanx to all. "You wanna do something bad enough........you WILL find a way to do it".

·
Some Assembly Required
4,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks guys, but I'm just trying to hang w/the rest of yall out on the trail. The trail is one of the few places in my life where I got no excuses for what I do. Thanks again.

"I'm just a squirrel tryin' to get a nut".

·
I fix choppers
993 Posts
So do you modulate yr frt/rr brakes with different fingers? Seems like playing guitar, however with more consequences when you goof up. Awesome, ride on! :devil:

·
Some Assembly Required
4,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
HELLBELLY said:
So do you modulate yr frt/rr brakes with different fingers? Seems like playing guitar, however with more consequences when you goof up. Awesome, ride on! :devil:
Index/ft, middle/bk. Thanks

·
Some Assembly Required
4,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
honourablegeorge said:
Does everyone modulate their brakes nowadays?

I'm still just pulling mine.
You do understand we're talkin' about brakes...right ??? :D

Not sayin' you're "less than honourable....George"....:p

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.