Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Building an Evil offering V2 as a trail bike at 140/150 mm. I want powerful brakes and Ill probably run 203 f and 180 R for sizing. What is a great rotor that pairs well with Codes and MTX gold pads. I thought about Galfer Waves. Would love Trickstuff rotors but they are impossible to find. Anyone have any insight? My big concerns are power and noise. I don’t want them to be noisy.

·
Premium Member
8,722 Posts
Sram 200mm front and rear or galfer if you want to be different.

Reactions: LewisQC

·
Registered
775 Posts
I have Code R with MTX brake pads and Galfer 203mm rotor on my Ripomo. I always had some noise with centerline rotor and sintered pads, no matter how hard I tried to get ride of it... This summer my bike was completely silent.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Building an Evil offering V2 as a trail bike at 140/150 mm. I want powerful brakes and Ill probably run 203 f and 180 R for sizing. What is a great rotor that pairs well with Codes and MTX gold pads. I thought about Galfer Waves. Would love Trickstuff rotors but they are impossible to find. Anyone have any insight? My big concerns are power and noise. I don’t want them to be noisy.
I'm on a similar situation with a 145/150 mm Hightower. I have the Codes RSC with centerline rotors 180mm front and rear, they're not very noisy (w/ metallic pads) but they could be more powerful. On the steep and long descends, there's some fade.

You could consider some options:
  • 2 mm thick rotors: HS2, Galfer, etc...
  • 200 or 203 mm front and rear
  • organic pads with fins

I don't know if it's better to go for a larger rotor or a thicker one of the same diameter for more power/heat management. I haven't used 2 mm rotors yet, but brake pads with fins did provide a noticeable difference on a set of xt brakes. The organic compound should keep them quiet.

If you are concerned about max power/cooling you could run some 6 bolt shimano ice tech rotors. They are some of the best imo.
Ice tech freeza are 1.75 mm thick, do you know if these are comparable to 2 mm thick rotors in terms of heat dissipation?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts