Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
29er Geek
1,529 Posts
spongstick said:
are they worth the extra weight over say xt 775?The codes would be going on my 5spot thanks.
I had Codes on my GRUITR and just switched to the Elixrs because....well because I could...but a big motivator for me was that the Codes were a bit overkill on my trail bike. I have to say though, the levers on the Codes are worthy of an award. The bearings make so much of a difference....just perfect action with no slop. Stunning.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I really don't notice the weight difference over Juicy 5's. If you want some second hand Code 08s let me know - I want to get rid of mine... Perfect working order, and could be with you for a very good price - say £150 for the pair (203F, 185R, 8 months old).

·
I am a pathetic rider...
644 Posts
vwvoodoo said:
I'm ditching my Code 7's because they are alot less powerful than my Martas with alot more weight. I really like the bearing pivot on the lever, but they weren't anywhere close to the power of Martas until I put in SwissStop pads.
woah woah woah. Your Codes have less power than your martas???? You do realize that the marta is a XC race brake and the Codes are DH race brakes right? Your codes must have something wrong with them, like a bad bleed or contaminated pads or rotors. I just installed codes on my Vagrant and they have a rediculous amount of power and modulation.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
b4 stealth said:
woah woah woah. Your Codes have less power than your martas???? You do realize that the marta is a XC race brake and the Codes are DH race brakes right? Your codes must have something wrong with them, like a bad bleed or contaminated pads or rotors. I just installed codes on my Vagrant and they have a rediculous amount of power and modulation.
dont argue with Marta users about Avid brakes...its a lost cause. especially one who resurrects an old thread to praise Magura

·
Monkey Wrench
353 Posts
I've been through new pads, multiple bleeds, different rotors. Both front and rear are weak. I don't want to come off as your typical pro-Magura/anti-Avid rider, but my experience with the Codes has reinforced my opinions of Avid.

That said, every pair of Elixers that I have ridden has felt great. It is really a better competitor to the Shimano 775 (back to the thread) than the Code. My experience with XT has been positive, though they can be finicky... Large (203/180) rotors tend to shift the XT calipers on our Moots Cinco demo, making them rub after harder twists and landings. We have moved to Swiss Stops or a combo of resin and metallic pads for most of our XT775 brake customers to reduce high pitched squealing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.