Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Use the kit, it's a no-brainer. Five minutes for a full bleed, 10 minutes if you're anal and tapping the lines like me. Use Motul DOT 5.1 (not 5, that is a silicone based brake fluid), if you use DOT 3 or 4 you will be downgrading the performance of your very expensive brakes. I bleed Hayes discs all the time and the Avid bleed kit is a very comprehensive and well-thought out kit, I hope that Hayes takes note of this.

·
Registered
182 Posts
XSL_WiLL said:
Any glycol based DOT 5.1 is fine. I believe they come pre-bled with DOT 4. My personal preference is Motul.

Hayes brakes are much easier to bleed with a syringe.
Sounds like a good idea for my 7's, but Motul? Isn't that motor oil? How does that work compared to 5.1?

·
Registered
593 Posts
I've read this alot...........

Regarding Motul brake fluid. What makes Motul 5.1 better than other brake fluids? What performance advantages does it give.
I'm asking because I am always looking for ways to increase braking performance.( I just installed a set of codes)

Did not mean to hijack the thread, sorry.

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
DOT 5.1 is less viscuous than DOT 3, in some cases, half the viscosity of DOT 3. This means the lever pull is easier, and the piston response is better.

But the primary benefit is that DOT 5.1 has a much higher boiling point than DOT 3 or 4. This means that you will experience less fade. You can brake harder and longer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.