Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HELP!! I am in a wedding in Sept and of course the bridemaid's dresses are spaghetti strap. I ride two or three times a week wearing sleevless jerseys so you know what kind of tan lines I have. (Thank goodness the dresses are long so my shorts tan will be covered) Anyway, I am too restless to sit out in the sun and tan and I would rather ride then hang out by the pool. Any ideas on what I should do so I don't look weird in the dress in Sept. I do wear sunscreen but I still tan through it. Are there any type jerseys I could wear that would let me get more sun? I also plan to get a spray tan just before the wedding but I am not sure if it will completely cover up the contrast of my white chest and my tan arms. Sorry for such a girly girly post but I was just wondering what other girls do. Thanks.

·
Registered
681 Posts
noclevername said:
HELP!! I am in a wedding in Sept and of course the bridemaid's dresses are spaghetti strap. I ride two or three times a week wearing sleevless jerseys so you know what kind of tan lines I have. (Thank goodness the dresses are long so my shorts tan will be covered) Anyway, I am too restless to sit out in the sun and tan and I would rather ride then hang out by the pool. Any ideas on what I should do so I don't look weird in the dress in Sept. I do wear sunscreen but I still tan through it. Are there any type jerseys I could wear that would let me get more sun? I also plan to get a spray tan just before the wedding but I am not sure if it will completely cover up the contrast of my white chest and my tan arms. Sorry for such a girly girly post but I was just wondering what other girls do. Thanks.
You could try self tanning lotions. Or, even better, you could just do nothing and show off those beautiful tan lines.

Here's a sweet pic of my friend Kathy in her wedding dress
http://www.pbase.com/image/20673355

Her new husband told her he thought her tan lines were sexy. But I guess it was appropriate at this wedding considering who's house it was held at.
http://www.pbase.com/image/20673492

Sabine

·
Glue Sniffer
553 Posts
noclevername said:
Sorry for such a girly girly post but I was just wondering what other girls do. Thanks.
Between my tanks, sports bras, swim suits and half shirty things, my back looks like a kaleidaoscope.

I'm gettin' hitched in January, so I'll be facing this problem in the future as well. My plan is to get one of them fancy "stand up spray tans" that they offer in some of the tanning salons. I've heard they work very well (once you find a good place). No matter what, if you are concerned about a botched job, I'd try the technique out a month or two beforehand.

You could try to find a halter style swim suit or sports top and just wear that. Remember that you can wear anything biking, even if it doesn't have a fox logo on it.

If none of that works, just get a back tattoo of Manson (Marilyn or Charles). Nobody will even notice your tan lines.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Yep - I wear spaghetti strap bra-tanks riding sometimes - changing tops regularly at least makes the tan lines blend together a bit. The center of my back (where my camelback tends to be) is lighter, but because it shifts and I'm also out in the sun not wearing it sometimes, the lines all blur together and my back looks fine in a strapless dress.

·
internet axe murderer
220 Posts
Here is what I did

I got married last September and my dress was a halter top style. I'm the same as you - even if I wore spf 40 I was still getting tan.I had visions of road rash on my shoulders and face, or an arm in a cast. Wouldn't a cast have been a nice touch?! I rode more conservatively the closer I got to the wedding, ha ha.

This may not work for you, depending on where you live. But here in Alberta, when riding in the mountains the high temps are usually only in the 70s. And a lot of the trails are in the trees. For my bike commutes, it was early and late enough in the day not to have to worry about tanning. So on my big weekend rides I wore long sleeve, really lightweight, light colored jerseys. I did spend a couple days on the deck in August wearing my arm warmers and a strapless bikini top to get rid of the little bit of sleeve tan lines I had! I bet the neighbors loved that, lol.

But hey, it may not matter because by September you could have some great bruises or scars on your arms that will take attention off your tank top tan! :D

I think the fake tan idea is a pretty good one. But I'd try to cover up your already tan arms, and maybe even your face and just spray the white areas.

Spike

noclevername said:

·
Slothful dirt hippie
2,900 Posts
Spike said:
....I had visions of road rash on my shoulders and face, or an arm in a cast. Wouldn't a cast have been a nice touch?! I rode more conservatively the closer I got to the wedding, ha ha. ...
I actually have fairly fresh elbow scars from a bike wreck that you can see in my wedding pictures- I always thought it was kinda funny. :)

·
Registered
233 Posts
variety of tops may be your answer

Another poster already mentioned it, but I wear a variety of different tops on different days and it seems to keep the tan lines from getting too severe. Try a spaghetti strap tank one day, then a t-back the next. Of course, I'm small busted so it's easier for me to find supportive tops that don't require me to wear a sports bra underneath. Of course nothing stops the bruises from showing up. I say be proud of the bruises, scrapes, tan lines and anything else that comes your way.

·
Registered
256 Posts
At least the banged-up legs will be hidden

Y'all ever have the experience of getting ready for a party, carefully shaving the legs, pulling on the short dress and thinking you look pretty good, then realizing that all the non-MTBers are going to notice are your bruises and cuts? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Come on, ladies!

Embrace your passion! Wear your tan lines proud. I think they are sexy as all get out. (if that is worth anything.)
My wife and I were married on the coldest day of the year, 5.5 years ago, so this was a non-issue. However, if our tan lines were there, we would have embraced them.

·
swashbucklerette
329 Posts
Sabine said:
You could try self tanning lotions.
I have heard from those that have tried the tan-in-a-can stuff that for the first 2 weeks or so the skin goes through a really orange Oompa Loompa phase, and then looks more natually tan after that. Don't know if that differs from brand to brand though.

P-)

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
MallieD said:
Try a spaghetti strap tank one day, then a t-back the next.
Workin' on the camelback tan... and the sweet zebra stripe look for my forearms:

(Mind you, I don't actually have zebra stripes on my arms (this season anyway) - I alternate between elbow pads, no elbow pads and a full armor jacket, so it all seems to even out...)

·
i worship Mr T
5,543 Posts
noclevername said:
i just ignore mine. i'm particularly fond of my sock and glove tans (especially that little dot on the back of my hand from the hole at the back of my gloves). :D hehehe.

one suggestion though, as other have said look into the bra-top style jerseys. i've got 3 racer-back Pearl Izumi tops that i rotate through in the summer (too hot for more than that here in GA). i've now got a stripe down the middle of my upper back that doesn't fade even in the winter. but my shoulders and arms have a nice even tan. my chest is still a bit on the pale side but oh well. and if others think the stripe on my back is weird all i do is show them my ankles and lilly white hands. :D

rt

ps - Zonic - i think that the sexiness of tan lines is a matter of opinion. lots of guys say its sexy.

·
Registered
89 Posts
*rt* said:
i just ignore mine. i'm particularly fond of my sock and glove tans (especially that little dot on the back of my hand from the hole at the back of my gloves). :D hehehe.
QUOTE]

I should preface this post by saying I am a bit of a hypochondriac...

Right after I started riding last summer, I noticed this darkish brown circle on my hand and freaked for a few minutes wondering what kind of weird illness I had until I remembered my gloves and noticed the same circle on my other hand. :rolleyes:

·
i worship Mr T
5,543 Posts
CarolinaGrl said:
*rt* said:
QUOTE]

Right after I started riding last summer, I noticed this darkish brown circle on my hand and freaked for a few minutes wondering what kind of weird illness I had until I remembered my gloves and noticed the same circle on my other hand. :rolleyes:
hahahaha! i tried to scrub mine off because i thought i had a dirt spot on my hand. :rolleyes:

it's weird. the dot on my left hand is darker than the one on my right. don't know why that would be though. oh, and yesterday after we got done riding (5 hrs in the mtns!!) we went for food and i immediately went to the restroom to wash my hands. when i got back to the table my friend pointed to my left hand and told me i missed a spot when i washed! :D

rt

·
Registered
922 Posts
CarolinaGrl said:

LOL. I now have to clean off the pepsi I snorted onto my keyboard :rolleyes:

Last winter my glove tan was really bad. One day I was meeting some friends and others for drinks and while I was chatting with friends of my biker friends one person says "so what's up with your hands being so white?" I snickered and said I had that disease Michael Jackson has but before I could pull it off the bikers all started laughing and showing off their glove tans.

Now, back to the topic.

noclevername, be careful with the spray on tan. Plan on doing it several times for the best results. My daughter went for one a couple of days before her prom. The person showing her what to do went through it so fast she couldn't remember everything. It ended up a bit uneven with a couple of undied spots. Luckily those were covered by her dress. Even though she didn't have the best experience, I think if she had planned on 3-4 sessions leading up to her big evening it would have all been fine and evened out.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.