Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Bikesexual
7,568 Posts
I read this the other day, but my opinion is some people are just selfish, distracted, morons.

Even when I'm driving, people still do stupid stuff on the road. I try to stay off the streets, but I do have to take some to get to my local rail trail, and I have a fun loop I do to a trail that has a bike lane.

I just try to do my part to be civilized, follow the rules, and be polite. Also very aware of my surroundings, and as visible as I can be.

·
Rides all the bikes!
4,489 Posts
Had someone blow their horn at me as they past me (I was in the bike lane). They just wanted to mess with me. They almost ran off the road a couple times, not sure if drunk or what. New minivan I am guessing belongs to mom.

Then a guy squeezes between me in the bike lane and the car in the right hand lane to make a right turn (I am also turning right). I give the hand sign for him to hang up his phone that he is holding to his ear. He pulls ahead of me, and puts a strong effort of ensuring I see him flipping me off.

Both incidents about 30 minutes apart yesterday. But, I am not going to quit road riding. I enjoy riding my bike. Assholes aren't going to ruin it for me.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Exactly why I don't road ride. People are assholes. I can't control nor predict how people will act while driving on the road. I now live in Kansas City and the drivers here are the most aggressive and spiteful people I've ever had the displeasure to drive alongside with. I have very little faith that I would make it out unscathed or even alive if I go on a long road ride here.

·
2,672 Posts
This is why I like gravel riding in my state - which happens to have the second lowest population in America. I'll do a long ride and maybe see 3-4 cars and the drivers usually wave and smile.

People can be real a$$ holes. The more you get together in a confined region, the a$$ holes come out of the woodwork.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
This is why I like gravel riding in my state - which happens to have the second lowest population in America. I'll do a long ride and maybe see 3-4 cars and the drivers usually wave and smile.

People can be real a$$ holes. The more you get together in a confined region, the a$$ holes come out of the woodwork.
Gravel is . 80-100km and see 3 cars and they slow down and wave here too.

You see animals and way nicer views. Look a single track dirt road, wonder where that goes? You take it.

Its like mixed xc and road, i enjoy it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
2,672 Posts
Gravel is . 80-100km and see 3 cars and they slow down and wave here too.

You see animals and way nicer views. Look a single track dirt road, wonder where that goes? You take it.

Its like mixed xc and road, i enjoy it.

Exactly! No dangers there! Except I did get chased by a pig once. Holy crap those things can move.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I've done 4 IMs so have spent a lot of time on the road. I am one of the few "roadies" that actually bothers to stop at Stop Signs, hand signals, and am as courteous as absolutely possible. Some of the "highlights":

- Had 2 D batteries threw at my from a moving car as I was in the bike line, not even hugging the left either. They whistled past my head from behind going about 40 mph. If they would've hit me, would've been dead. The car swerved in front of me into the bike lane and flipped me off. The batteries bounced down the road I swear to god for like 1/4 of a mile.

- I had a truck pull up next to me, the passenger roll down the window and she flicked the cigarette she was smoking right at me. Fortunately they were immediately abreast of me and the wind took it, but WTF?

- Small corolla full of highschoolers. Same thing, pulls up next to, I'm in aero and going probably 25 mph in a bike line. Passenger backseat window rolls down, out comes a high velocity 40 oz / Big Gulp drink of soda. That one did hit me and resulted in soda all over me and my bike.

- Wife and I riding. She rides on occasion but situations like this have kept her off the road most of the time. We are going down the shoulder of a fairly rural road in single file with me behind her. I see a car start drifting across the center lane about 1/2 mile in front of us heading right at us. The car eventually got to their left (wrong lane) shoulder and straddled it coming right at us head on. We had absolutely nowhere to go. My wife started swerving left to get away and I yelled at her STOP!!!! knowing full well that the car was going to swerve back to their lane... and sure enough they did. If my wife would've went left, she would've been killed for sure. The car was probably going 40+mph.

I can't count the number of times I have been almost sideswiped, clipped due to people not understanding turning radius (especially big trucks), cut off while turning both left and right, and just have had people demonstrate an absolute disregard for my life through no fault of my own.

I ride my bike to work most days, and I always tell my wife, If I die an untimely early death, it is almost guaranteed to happen between our house and my work while riding to or from. :(

·
Registered
5,790 Posts
I had one guy many years ago who couldn't stand the idea of me riding faster than him in slow traffic that he floored it...right into the back end of a stopped car.

I wouldn't live for a month riding the roads in my area.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Don't feel too bad, the same can be said for people on motor bikes

That is what has stopped me from buying a motorbike.

A coworker of mine saw a woman run a red light and hit a motorbiker seriously injuring him and she said "it is only a motorcyclist..."

1 - 20 of 72 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.