Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am one of those short legged guys out there. I sat on quiet a few bikes, and the rockhopper I got was the best feel. Over the last few weeks though I have found myself to be slightly more comfortable if I scoot just a bit forward on the seat. However, then the cockpit becomes too cramp. So I was thinking that if I could push the seat back an inch maybe?

As it stands, when I am riding it normally my back, chest, stomach, etc etc all feel good. Good space, good angles, etc etc. When I move forward some though my butt feels better.

Should I move the seat back some? Can a stock seat post do that even? Or do I need to get a new post?

Thanks

·
Registered
83 Posts
Try moving the seat back. You should be able to loosen the clamping mechanism so that you can slide it back on its rails. Depending on your seta post you may have to loosen 1, 2, or maybe even 4 bolts.

Raising the seat will also move it back some due to the angle of the seatpost. Make sure that you're seat is not too low.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah fantastic..

and ya I am pretty sure its not too low. When the pedal is at the bottom of the stroke my knee is just slightly bent.. which I believe is the correct method to determine seat height for just pedaling.

·
I like bacon... (clyde)
351 Posts
You want your weight to be supported by your sit bones. Just make sure you are sitting on the right part of the seat for that to happen and not on the soft tissue forward of that. I think Rockhoppers come with a decent saddle, but it still may not be the correct width for you. You'll feel pain at first if you are riding a bike seriously for the first time in your life (or the first time in a long time). Eventually, your body will adapt as will your saddle (called "breaking in"). Just remember to use those sit bones. They are what normally supports you in a chair, so it should be no different on a bike.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
Sounds more like seat angle adjustment to me, try angling it just a hair more up or down and see if that helps; a little bit can mean a big comfort difference.

You may have just gotten a bike that's too small, too. Other ways of dealing with cockpit size other than sliding your seat back is getting a seatpost with more setback (if possible) or getting a longer stem. You can also find the seatrails compromised a bit if they're at one extreme or the other on the seatpost clamps. You don't want to sit too far back either, it affects your pedaling. There's a reason to carefully consider the top tube length rather than just seat tube length when picking out a bike. Just what are the details of the size of you and your bike and bike setup?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The whole thing fits 95% right, I think I am just being finicky now. 2000 miles on it or so, I am pretty sure I would of felt something else be slightly uncomfortable by now. I am gonna try to fine tune it a bit more this weekend..

Thanks for the tips everyone :)

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
DanMach86 said:
The whole thing fits 95% right, I think I am just being finicky now. 2000 miles on it or so, I am pretty sure I would of felt something else be slightly uncomfortable by now. I am gonna try to fine tune it a bit more this weekend..

Thanks for the tips everyone :)
I still fiddle with my position occasionally, sometimes for different riding areas my needs change a little even on the same bike, or just because I've been riding another type of bike for a while and it feels weird making the change plus as I get older my riding needs have changed. 95% ain't bad, but finding that just perfect position can be a bit elusive without having some patience and memory for each adjustment or all kinds of parts to interchange to really see differences they might make. Sometimes I'll change the angle of the seat just by a hair and I can feel the difference...

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I rememeber reading when I first started getting into biking that its important to ride for a while on a given seat setting to really "get to know it" before you fiddle.

I guess the rest of my body is comfortable enough now that I starting to notice tiny things.

But I do appreciate the word someone put in about it maybe being the wrong size frame. Always possible.

Thanks everyone for the advice :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.