Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just a smidge too far back when climbing and can loop out. I want a tiny bit more weight over the front wheel.

step one is to slam the seat foreard on the rails and see. After that, I will buy a new stem. I like my bars and they were pricey, so not going there.

I’m real close, so we are talking 5mm maybe 10mm longer in the stem. OR, I will get a flatter stem so there is less rise. Few degrees, up to 10 should do it.

what I don’t know, are the relative side effects of each.

can you guys help me compare/contrast the side effects of longer vs lower stem in trying to get my weight forward when climbing? Tiny adjustment, not big.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Frankenbike. It startrd because I monkeyed with geometry and too-tall bars was the side effect. Pushing seat forward is step 1 for sure. I can tilt it a click to experiment too. Stem is next tho. Just pre-planning the side effects. Might steer me one way orvthe other. Stems aren’t cheap and take time import from europe, don’t want to buy them endlessly

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
Go lower, either by removing spacers, flipping your stem, or changing the bar rise.. Lengthening the stem will impact handling to a degree, so I am not a fan of that. I just went through this, but I swapped out for bars with less rise (from 25mm to 15mm, I had them already). I noticed a huge difference climbing right off the bat.

·
Registered
8,444 Posts
A longer/lower stem will help but it will be marginal.

Things I would check before doing that.
1. Is your seat too low. If your seat is low you will push yourself back on the saddle. Try raising it just a bit.
2. Is your rear suspension too soft. Add a bit of pressure and see if that makes a difference. This is usually the culprit.
3. As you suggested, move the seat forward but also move it up. If this works you might find you need a longer a stem to feel comfortable or things will be all right.

The other possibility is your technique is off.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Stems aren’t cheap and take time import from europe, don’t want to buy them endlessly
What snooty, foofoo stems are you buying? :p

Regardless, get a couple $20 ones off Amazon to play with geo, then sell them on Craigslist to recoup some of the cost when you settle on which swanky one you want to order.

·
Registered
Obsessively progressing
285 Posts
Middle-of-the-road stems are like $50, with cheaper ones in the $20 range. I have a Truvativ Descendant and it's been rock solid. Nowadays shorter seem best for steering precision. I agree with seat forward. I have mine slammed forward and don't have any loop out issues. High seat is imperative too. Check your seat height with video of you riding if possible.

·
Banned
2,294 Posts
You can move your saddle up but you also want to make sure your knees are in the right position when pedaling. If your pedaling position feels fine now I would remove spacers under the stem first.
what science is behind the knee position? where is correct knee position and why?

·
Registered
911 Posts
More information on the bike spec/build would be helpful here. What frame, bars, stem, spacers, etc? And your body position on the current setup (including seat position/angle as discussed) will make a big difference.

Your description of taller bars and looping out has me wondering if you could flip some spacers from below to above your stem. You get the two fold change of a little more reach and less rise. Both of which reduce the tendency to loop out.

·
Older than I feel
1,907 Posts
I've seen the OP's bike. He's not kidding, it's a Frankenstein - more accurately a Frankendale.

How long a stem are you looking for? I have a handful in 1-1/8 x 31.8mm, mostly high risers and 100mm or longer, but I do have one 70mm Salsa. I owe you one. Or 5.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Chucko! No need

Based on the good advice from the folks here (sourcing by highest volume of opinion), I will lower the stem. Bars are already flat, and existing stem, which is 100mm, is already at the crown. It's 6 degrees and upside down already.

Used this tool:

Bought a 100mm 17 degree stem. flipped upside down it's 20mm lower, very low reach change, and I can fine tune to my heart's content using 5mm spacers under the stem.should be able to tune anything I want down to the mm if I wanted. I'm sure one of the 5mm spacer adjustments will nail it!

Thanks for the offer though :D

Just adjusted the seat, so I got plenty of time to ride on just that while I wait for the stem to slow boat it's way over from the UK.

·
Registered
6,097 Posts
I don't like wide bars, they feel strange to me. I run a 90mm stem with 28" wide bars. I've run this combo for a long time. The last time I built a bike I asked the guys at the shop I go to what they thought. They didn't think there was anything wrong with my combo.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.