Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...sometimes I just like to coast down a long, low angled, smooth pathway or road. I'm thinking that maybe I should eat while coasting on the bike...or maybe have smoke(J/K!)...might even be a good time to crack a beer and enjoy the view(J/K again :) ).
Just enjoy the refreshing breeze with no effort input...just riding the bike, two wheels and gravity. No place to be and all day to get there.

:cool:

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
coasting is overrated

highroller said:
...sometimes I just like to coast down a long, low angled, smooth pathway or road. I'm thinking that maybe I should eat while coasting on the bike...or maybe have smoke(J/K!)...might even be a good time to crack a beer and enjoy the view(J/K again :) ).
Just enjoy the refreshing breeze with no effort input...just riding the bike, two wheels and gravity. No place to be and all day to get there.

Riding a fixed gear builds character.
Fixers build strong bodies 12 ways.
Back when men were Men, they raced the Tour de France on fixed gears. Coasting is for girliemen.

·
I like Cake.
109 Posts
highroller said:

Sometimes I ride until I get so tired, I find myself trying to coast uphill. This usually ends with me falling over into some thorn bushes.

·
bonkin' clyde
831 Posts
yeah man

highroller said:

Coasting early in the morning I mean just as the sun is rising can be pretty groovy. Its sweet coasting down a looong near my house feelin the wind in my face...can't say enough about a carefree ride.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
bulC said:
Riding a fixed gear builds character.
Fixers build strong bodies 12 ways.
Back when men were Men, they raced the Tour de France on fixed gears. Coasting is for girliemen.
I enjoy riding my fixed gear as much or more than my other bikes. Don't get me wrong, I'm not against pedaling. Last night, I just happened to take notice that the bike was doing all the work and I was just along for the ride. Another perspective that made me realize how biking is one of the best modes of transportation. :)

·
Tree Hugger
2,946 Posts
highroller said:
I enjoy riding my fixed gear as much or more than my other bikes. Don't get me wrong, I'm not against pedaling. Last night, I just happened to take notice that the bike was doing all the work and I was just along for the ride. Another perspective that made me realize how biking is one of the best modes of transportation. :)
I hear ya. Some people feel liike a bike is only good for "building character" or "building strong bodies" but lotsa times I ride my bike to build a good long coast is a connection with nature, and nothing like a mellow coast to allow ya to look up and enjoy the scenery. A perfect grade trail that you can cruise down without pedaling or breraking for extended stretches is a thing of beauty, kinda like the perfect wave. I wonder where the world's longest coastable singletrack exists. Anyone care to nominate a trail?? I cant think of any locally, too many switchbacks and dips in the trail.

·
Registered
17,162 Posts
South Boundary?

Sasquatch said:
I wonder where the world's longest coastable singletrack exists. Anyone care to nominate a trail??
Hmmmmm, good question. The upper half of South Boundary Trail in New Mexico comes to mind. By my recollection, there were close to 10 miles (more?) that dropped from the ridge to Garcia Park. I can't recall how steep it is exactly, but I remember that I kept thinking that it descended for an awfully long time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts