Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anybody steer me towards a picture/service instructions for a Bendix single speed coaster brake hub? The one I am working on is off of a 1958 Schwinn Corvette. Thanx for any advice or help!!!!

·
sprocket
3,184 Posts
sinned_1 said:
Can anybody steer me towards a picture/service instructions for a Bendix single speed coaster brake hub? The one I am working on is off of a 1958 Schwinn Corvette. Thanx for any advice or help!!!!
just take it apart and lay out the pieces in order of removal. the hubs are super simple. you might try park tool website, they may have a pic and instructions.

·
Registered
5,987 Posts
yetisurly said:
just take it apart and lay out the pieces in order of removal. the hubs are super simple. you might try park tool website, they may have a pic and instructions.
Yeah, it's pretty straight forward once you get it pulled apart.

A question that I had... when you put it back together, do you grease the braking surface? I didn't, thinking that it would make the brakes not work so well, but now mine lock super easy.

·
All 26.5" all the time!
1,855 Posts
laffeaux said:
Yeah, it's pretty straight forward once you get it pulled apart.

A question that I had... when you put it back together, do you grease the brakeing surface? I didn't thinking that it would make the brakes not work so well, but now mine lock super easy.
Yes, you'll want to grease everything. The interface between the brake shoes and the hub shell will squeeze out any excess grease anyway.

·
Retro on Steroids
2,997 Posts
sinned_1 said:
I concur with the others. The Bendix is pretty simple, and I learned everything I needed to know about them by taking them apart.

The best Bendix brakes were the early ones made from a single piece of steel stock, machined out. Later they switched to a cheaper Mexican version that was formed by wrapping the steel around a mold and welding it. We would buy these cheap ones for the internal parts and throw the shells away.

Bendix also made a two-speed internal shifting coaster brake. There were two varieties, one that you shifted every time you braked, and one that used a shift lever. These were marked by a colored band around the hub. As I remember, you wanted the one with the blue band.

Bendix is the same company that made washing machines and car starter motors.

BTW, the most common coaster brake you find on old bikes is the New Departure. It was the cheapest of the coaster brakes, and wouldn't survive a single trip down Repack.

·
Registered
5,987 Posts
Repack Rider said:
Bendix also made a two-speed internal shifting coaster brake. There were two varieties, one that you shifted every time you braked, and one that used a shift lever. These were marked by a colored band around the hub. As I remember, you wanted the one with the blue band.
The Bendix two-speed internal shifting coaster brake that shifted via pedaling backwards, looked something like this:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.