Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will a 16 gram co2 cartridge fill a 29x 2.0 tire? Also is it worth it to upgrade to co2 at all or should I get a simple hand pump?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes. I carry a couple co2 and all I use. Less than one will get you to 50 lbs easy. If small enough a hand pump not a bad idea but I don't carry one on trail. Spare tube and kit with the co2 In my camelback.

·
Registered
695 Posts
This has been discussed a fair bit.

I carry a CO2 pump, but you really need to take a spare cylinder as well. It's not much smaller than my mini pump, but it is much faster, it inflates the tyre in about five seconds.

To add confusion, you can get a mini pump that does both!

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
Should be fine ... unless you flub the first couple of cylinders.
I carry as pump: if it is working at all, I can fill as many tires as I want.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I carry both. I know its cumbersome but i dont trust just having the co2. The only time I used it was on a long ride with a buddy where we had traveled a bit and didn't want to waste much time on the side of the trail. We both got flats and having those co2's to blow them right up was way better then wasting time and energy on pumping up 29 2.35 tires.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I carry both as well. I don't trust only having co2 because if you get multiple flats in a ride and don't have enough spare cartridges you're walking out. I personally wouldn't consider co2 if I hadn't gotten my inflator for free. I carry a Lezyne hand pump in my pack...the weight is minimal.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I think they are all cheap, relatively speaking.

I paid less than £20 for mine, including three cartridges, and it's supposed to be top of the range.

I have seen them on ebay for well under £10. But you are best to get one which encloses the cylinder, as it gets extremely cold during use and will burn your hand, unless you wear gloves.

·
RAKC
7,602 Posts
I spent $18 at lbs for one included 2 cylinders and a rubber sleeve (to protect ur hands from co2 cartridge). I like having cartridge not enclosed because as long as its a threaded cartridge it fits.

Sent from my Nokia Stupidphone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
695 Posts
My enclosed one will take either type of cartridge, threaded or unthreaded.
The make is UNICH

You can store the cartridge inside the unit, to use you just unscrew the case, turn the cartridge round, and screw the case back on.
This pierces the cartridge and it has a button to deliver air on demand.
The adaptor screws on to Presta or Schrader valves without any changing of parts, you just screw it on to whatever valve you have on the bike.

It's a really nice piece of engineering.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone for the help. Decided to get multiple 16 gram cartridges. I tested a cartridge out. One 16 gram cartridge didn't seem to fill my tire much. Might get a small pump for back up.

·
RAKC
7,602 Posts
I carry 2 cartridges just for this reason. I did the mini pump thing and really hate it, takes forever but it works.

Sent from my Nokia Stupidphone using Tapatalk

·
Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
2,894 Posts
Bump:

Are there any new inflators that allow you to store half a cartridge? Lets say I use 1 full cartridge and only half of a second, any inflators allow me to keep that half cartridge until the next flat?

·
Registered
695 Posts
The UNICH one has a button to dispense the C02. So you can leave a half used cartridge in, until you need it.
However as l am paying only £1.50 for cartridges, it hardly seems worth the effort.

But it can be done with this model, if you want.

Don't make the mistake l did, and press the button to "test" it after fitting a cartridge.....as this will dispense nearly all the C02 instantly, leaving nothing to put in the tyre!

I found this out the hard way lol

·
RAKC
7,602 Posts
I have a planet bike in that has a screw valve knob. Can close to store extra but expect it not to hold pressure for ever. Especially being u empty a CO2 in a couple seconds.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I have been wondering which to get. A hand pump would be tough to get 30 pounds of air into a tire. Some of the pumps are kinda cheesy looking and I wonder about the longevity of them. I would hate to rely on one and have it fold in half before I get the tire aired up. The CO2 is probably the best option with a hand pump as a backup.

·
Registered
9,550 Posts
I think CO2 could have advantages for tubeless, and of course convenience, but I'd never be caught with a pump on purpose. I personally just cut out the middle-man and just carry a mini-pump. It really doesn't take that long to fill up a tire, it's always there, never consumes money or require you to stock and carry anything else. There are definitely a lot of sucky ones out there; I once actually smashed one to pieces on the side of the trail, it sucked so bad. But, gotta say I've had a great luck with this one.

Topeak Mountain Morph Pump | Topeak | Brand | www.PricePoint.com

It kinda converts into a mini floor pump (a little pedal levers out of the bottom to put your foot on, the handle rotates 90, and it's got a short hose so you work it just like a stand up floor pump and don't have to get all awkward about it. I've pumped up easily 100 tires with the one I have now with no maintenance beyond a very irregular drop of oil. I'd definitely buy it again.

·
Banned
584 Posts
Somebody should tar and feather anyone who uses CO2, except in emergencies.

·
RAKC
7,602 Posts
Nothing wrong with using co2s on the trail. Tar and feather ppl that look down on ppl for wanting to finish their ride not spend 15mins pumping a tire :p

I dont carry a pump usually. I have one that stays on my commuter but my mtb I carry my chuck with 2 16g co2s.

And my point in doing so was proven. Try seating a tubeless tire back on the rim on one side that's completely off with a mini pump. Used my co2 first time last weekend and saved my ride. Able to finish my entire ride no issues.

Just don't be that douchebag that leaves the empty canisters trailside. Take them out with you.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts